Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
wow- this is why people talk about the good old days, and remember when.

i live in a small town. i am a stay at home mom. i've been asked before to watch other peoples children. if i can, i do, if i cant, i dont. i dont get paid, i dont expect to get paid. its called being a good person. if you see this as a burden, then dont do it, if you dont mind, then do it. if it becomes a regular thing and you feel its too much, tell her. the biggest thing with this, as with anything is communication (not something most people are good at). if you have a day when its not good for you, let her know in advance, so she can make other arrangements. but if you expect to get paid and are now an employee, you loose that option. as a friendly gesture, you are equals, when money gets involved, she is your boss.

i have 5 kids, i have had as many as 25 kids at my house at one time, and when they were all in school it was frequently 10 (each child would have a friend over). i happen to like kids, i dont mind having them around and dont see other people children as a burden. i pack them up and take them along with me if i need to, but i also dont mind telling someone if/when i cant. its part of being a friend.

I grew up like this too. Our house was much like yours! The older kids helped out with the younger kids. Lots of fun!

The bottom lines was...there was give and take of both sides! We all helped out each other.

And we could bang our knees or bandage a knee without the help of lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
I think it would be nice to help her out. You know, there are times when you're able to help someone out and there are times when you need the help. I do agree with a lot of the comments that you need to be cautious and iron out exactly how long you're talking about each day, and what would happen if your child was sick or something. The 2-3 day arrangement would proabably keep things under control.

If its just for a short amount of time, I wouldn't want to be paid. I think that changes the relationship. But I would say something now that leaves that door open, should her schedule change and she needs to lean on you more.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:45 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
I agree with everyone else that you do need to work out the details beforehand with her. Has she offered to pay you or to exchange babysitting time? I think some sort of give and take, whether it be with money or with time, would help keep both of you on track and avoid a situation where she might start leaning on you too much. I think it could work out nicely, especially if your children have the same homework - the "peer pressure" can encourage both of them to do it and it could make homework a fun activity for them.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
How long will the kid be at your house after school? If you have any urge of not wanting to do it, then don't because it will get old real quick. Will she be providing money or snacks? I know my kids are very hungry right after school.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:18 PM

396 posts, read 1,034,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
that's what I thought since my son is the only child, it would be nice to have a companion like that afterschool.
Mine is too, that's why my thinking was the way it was...
I trade off a lot with the moms of my sons friends, and it always works out. Someone suggested trading off with your friend so that you can go out for an evening, or a day on the weekend... I think that's a great idea!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
I'm shocked that the friend who asked you to pick up her son, didn't offer to pay. As a mom with a full-time job, I would not consider asking someone to do something like that without offer of some $, even if it's just gas money. I consider it part of the cost of working.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
Just let her know when you have things to do in the afternoon and that (a) its not going to be convenient today, or (b) is it okay if the friend tags along?

If you don't want to do it, then just say "Its ok this time, but I really can't make this a regular thing"

Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
It depends on HOW LONG after school you are watching him for. If it's only 30 min or something i would do it and for free.
But if she wanted me to basically watch her kid 2 hours EVERYDAY after school i'd say i wouldn't do it without being paid.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
What ever happened to doing nice things for our "friends"? What ever happened to wanting to have your child's friends at your home? Personally I wouldn't even think of charging for this and would be more than happy to do it unless it became a problem.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
For me it would depend on some things... Are you friends with this parent or just acquaintances? Are your kids friends or are they simply in the same class? Would it be every day all year? How old are the kids? Will you be expected to babysit the child on the non-school days? Does this person have a reputation for being a "user"? Why, now, so late in the year, is she suddenly needing help? Do you have similar parenting and discipline methods? Would you be allowed to discipline her kids the same way you discipline your own kids?

When my kids were younger I did these kinds of things for working parents all the time. It always amazed me how these parents would trust their kids with me, when they didn't even know me. They were just so desperate for someone to take their kid off their hands. For years and years I said yes to these parents. Sometimes it was fine, but other times I was sorry I agreed to help. There are always those mothers who call and say they are having to work late... and then show up at 9 o'clock (when they were originally supposed to pick their kid up at 5) with beer on their breath or shiny newly manicured nails or something...

Now my policy is generally... If someone is a friend, you do these things for them if you can. If the kids are friends, there should be no issue there, either. Certainly. But for the odd and random parent that comes up and needs help, I have found it's best to proceed very cautiously, if at all. You can potentially make new friends with this kind of arrangement, but you can also have regrets. You just never know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting