Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:15 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
No. Its a new term, which I bet was invented by the media to market older kids stuff to younger kids and encourage them to grow up faster. Have you ever watched the Disney shows? The commercials on the shows all seem to be for the next age level up so they can drag the younger set into it and get them hooked on it. Anybody really think the Miley Cyrus scantily clad photos wasn't all planned by Disney to bump her up to the next age level? I really can't stand what is being thrown at our kids these days and robbing them of their childhood. Like another poster said, its up to us parents to just say "NO!" For the record, my girls, ages 7 & 9 do not watch, wear or play with Hannah Montana, Hillary Duff, etc. and are perfectly happy with that. It can be done!
I remember even when I was in middle school we were still kids in almost every way. This is going too far and it's making them grow up in the absolute wrong way. It has nothing to do with increasing responsibility or maturity...they are "growing up" only in so far as their social lives are concerned. And it tends to be the more negative aspects only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
I remember the term tween from when I was a kid. When I was in middle school, I went in as a kid and came out as a teenager. There is nothing wrong with testing boundries, but there needs to be boundries.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
That's funny. Kinda irks you, doesn't it. Now, if we were to catch her as she exits out the back door to avoid all those 'tweens', we could put a bag over her head and tie a rock to her feet.... Oh, sorry, almost got carried away..
Make sure to bring your boots... you know the ones I'm talking about

Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
No, hold on. That's not you is it? Please say it ain't so.

Why would any parent care if they were the 'favored' parent? If that meant forsaking my standards of belief and kissing up to a child.. man, NO WAY. Just plain NO WAY. If I was going to be the favored parent, it would be because I was the BETTER parent.

Believe me, I've been in the position of having a child who went between my ex and me. I didn't play those games.
yeppers!!! You'd be surprised at the lengths some parents will go to in order to "win" their child's love.... I am a firm believer in teaching a child to be confident and secure in themselves so they don't feel they need things or acceptance to feel their worth. I am the momma.... I expect my kids to be children, but I am not going to kiss tail to "make" them love me. They may not like my rules or my expectations, but they will never doubt my love for them. And that love can't be bought at the local hoochie R us at the local mall. It comes from (GASP) spending time with my children and teaching them by example.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I remember the term tween from when I was a kid. When I was in middle school, I went in as a kid and came out as a teenager. There is nothing wrong with testing boundries, but there needs to be boundries.
Exactly. I agree about coming OUT of middle school as a teenager. But I think that at least in 6th/7th grade everyone in my middle school at least was still a kid. IIRC, things didn't really start to change until 8th grade. But, by then, the kids are actually teens.

My comments were more about younger middle school kids and even older elementary kids.

At the same time, I don't think I remember the term tween.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Make sure to bring your boots... you know the ones I'm talking about
Got 'em right here. I'm on my way.

I'll bring the bag, you bring the rock. We can pick up some rope along the way. You call her out and I'll be behind the door with the bag. She'll never see what hit her. We'll need a get-away car that can't be traced though.

Now where did I put my knit cap?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:49 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
No. Its a new term, which I bet was invented by the media to market older kids stuff to younger kids and encourage them to grow up faster.
Actually "tween" is an old term and has several uses.

For instance, Tolkien used it in Lord of the Rings, which was published in 1954 I believe, and although he was using it to refer to the age between Hobbits being teenagers and adults, for Hobbits that was something like age 20 to early 30's.

Tween is a also a term used in the field of animation and for certain emulsifiers.

The way "Tween" is being used in this thread, loosely referring to the age of 9-12 is relatively new in comparison to it's previous uses. But maja, I'd have to agree with you in the sense that I believe the marketing folks really target this age group to reel them in and hook them as major future consumers.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Got 'em right here. I'm on my way.

I'll bring the bag, you bring the rock. We can pick up some rope along the way. You call her out and I'll be behind the door with the bag. She'll never see what hit her. We'll need a get-away car that can't be traced though.

Now where did I put my knit cap?
I got just the car. Forget the knit cap, Dora's such a blind goodie goodie all we gotta do is tell her we lost our puppy.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
I got just the car. Forget the knit cap, Dora's such a blind goodie goodie all we gotta do is tell her we lost our puppy.
Hey, that'll work!! What time do you want to pull this off? *whispers* what lake do you want to d-r-o-p her i-n ?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM

I'm free now.... I'll PM you the destination
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting