Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Is there any other children (the older one) with the 4yo?

Are you positive this child is 4 years old?

If s/he is alone outside and is 4 yo, call the police and report an unsupervised preschooler that may result in a dangerous situation. You can ask that you not be involved, you just want to make sure this child is supervised. A call to CPH won't go answered until Monday.

If you want to wait until Monday, keep a diary of dangerous situations with times and dates to aid in the investigation.

There definately seems to be neglect here. As for eating with a burned kitchen.... it was very likely just smoke damage.
I agree w/calling the police. This way it goes on record that the authorities have been called.

You could then call Child Protective Services as well.

A 13 - 14 year old can babysit in many states, but if she has shown a pattern of being irresponsible, the I would hope that she would not be allowed to babysit anymore.

A 20 year old can babysit, but if there is evidence that that person is not adequately supervising a child, yet he or she continues to be allowed to babysit, the parent should be held responsible if anything happens to the child.

If I saw a four year old hanging around outside, the first thing I would do would be to call the police. Perhaps a visit from the local authorities may be enough to get this lady to pay a bit more attention to her kids (Not likely but worth a shot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 07:09 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
apparently several calls chould be made. As already stated, Child Services in your area, also where is the Apartment Management in all this?!? do they not know? If there was a fire they should know and can't let a family live in the burnt apartment no matter how light the damage was, call management demand to know what they are doing.
Age 13-14 is legal age to be alone and babysitting in most all states. I believe most states allow it at age 12.
Also call the police tell them there are childern left unattended and running wild they youngest is age 4.
This sounds a repeat of a repeat of a repeat from San Antonio. This haapens way to often here. just call. next time your apartment could go up in flames.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:09 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,443 times
Call CPS and the police when they disturb you.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:44 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,840 times
Call CPS. My family does foster care and we had 3 sisters at one point whos mother was neglecting them. the 6 YO was found riding her bike in the street and it was enough for the police to investigate and they ended up taking all 3 girls into custody. So yes a child wandering with not supervision is enough to call the police. Even if the 14 YO is home. She is not old enough to be parenting them.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:47 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
Call CPS. My family does foster care and we had 3 sisters at one point whos mother was neglecting them. the 6 YO was found riding her bike in the street and it was enough for the police to investigate and they ended up taking all 3 girls into custody. So yes a child wandering with not supervision is enough to call the police. Even if the 14 YO is home. She is not old enough to be parenting them.
A 14 yo is old enough to supervise younger children...not to parent no. But if it's for a few hours or even for a day there's absolutely nothing CPS will do. Multiple days..yes.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 AM

947 posts, read 2,399,166 times
I am a mom of 5 kids ages 7,4,3 and 15 month old twins. My husband is gone on the road all the time yet I do not let my kids act like this! I live in a small town in the country and still do not let them go outside very often unless I go too! So I know a mom could take care of kids by her self I do it everyday! I think someone needs to call CPS or someone because these kids need supervision! Also they may act out just to get some attention that they lack at home from mom. I don't know!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:06 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
I'd go down to the PD and see if they have any suggestions for you.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 PM

10 posts, read 11,961 times
I would have to say you guys live in a great community and I'm sure the parents feel great knowing they have neighbors that keeps their eyes open for all the kids in the neighborhood. That's what communities used to do and the crime rates where so low. I have known six year olds more mature than some 14 year olds. If you really want to keep this kid from playing with his friends or seeing his mom and dad and possibly put into a home where he is sure to be abused : I really doubt anyone would get joy out of hurting this child. Before you make a call check out the senses on children under cps the percentages is a whole lot higher that that child will be ab=used, killed molested, beaten. Plese don't ruin that childs life and act as though you done something right because if he gets taken when and if you see him again: he could very well be a very angry young man. I feel that these are community issues. The state should not step in but the people in this community come together as friends and families maybe even start a group that is the neighborhood child watch. Not to be tatle telling to CPS but to interact with these families. I know first hand about CPS. My experience was they went to school for lying. They have no concious. They are not bringing families together, all this is what they tell you. Now you will help and be a hero and save a childs life too. My ...

Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 PM

10 posts, read 11,961 times
when cps can make allegations stick in a court of law and the parents have proof these people are lying, but the judges can only listen to the cps report regardless. In CA all parents have to submit to drug and alcohol testing even if never had a record or any proof. I did thirteen that came back negatve. Then they want you to go to parenting classes and drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Guess who payed for all my testing the anser is taxpayers. You probly feel the same way I did before this happened to me. I would not have believed these people lie in order to make money and keep their jobs at the price of a family. Well I was wrong. Please talk to the parents of this child if you feel this strongly that he is in serious danger.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Basically, here is the situation. Which of the following scenarios do you think is best?

A) Have the state take the children away from their mother and from each other, and shuttle them separately through a different series of foster homes or institutions,

B) Leave them with their mother, who at the very least, does not seem to be inflicting any direct physical, emotional or sexual abuse on them,

C) Take them in yourself and commit yourself to raising them in a loving and caring home,

D) What else is there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting