Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:02 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,839,886 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with interracial dating... My aunts are Asian and my uncles are Irish. I dated an Asian boy myself prior to meeting my husband.... I think as long as they are compatible then what is the problem? I would hope they would find a person who treats them well, has similar dreams, goals, goes to college, is close to his family, gets a good job, will be a good husband and father... that is what I want for a mate for my child... someone who will care for her, provide for her, treat her well.... give them the life I want for her.... if their skin is purple, brown, white, pink, blue... whatever.... if they love them and they can give her these things with a good heart and shoul, then.....I will be happy for her....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,395,192 times
LoneWolf88

No, I feel the same way. But see, I live in Memphis, TN. That might explain why I feel that way.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,023 times
I think that in the larger scope of things it would be MORE benificial for my kids to date outside of their race.. here's why.. 1, cultural diversity will only stregthen intelect and ability to meaningfully interact with others, 2) wheather we choose to realise it or not we are all apart of a larger human family and the divisions we face are those we place on ourselves. 3) I want my child to love and live freely and without regret 4) how do you know that westly snipes-crunchy-black isn't going to be the best man to ever come across her life? 5) sounds like you could use a child to date someone thats black so then maybe the rest of YOUR family can begin to learn and hopefully to become enlightend enough to see some the intentional persuasions over the centuries that have led you to convey or imply the feeling that black is somehow wrong. 6) and most importantly ,, a parent should be as supportive as possible to a childs or young adults personal education and should raise that young person to look at the world with compassionate eyes, blind to something as infantile as skin color when making choices about the world/

Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 PM

844 posts, read 1,276,869 times
Glass of merlot, why does you geographic area effect your opinion on your children' mixing'? Lone wolf88 obviously (judging from his handle 'lone wolf' and '88'-Look up what they mean if you arent familiar with it) basis his judgements on his sympathetic feelings to white nationalist groups...which he seems to be openly honest about.

I dont understand why living in TN would necessarily be an understandable reason to look down on mixed race relationships? (I am aware of TN's racial history and current undertones...I just am wondering is it a antimiscentigationism a regional thing).

Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,264,808 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by casshern View Post
I have been doing research and it appears most parents would not be satisfied. Even though I know most of you say "I am not racist and I would not care at all" and "if they want to do it, it is OK" but seriously? However we are human and we really do not know how we will respond if that situation actually happens to them throughout there lifetime.

All honesty right now, if you had a daughter who is 16, and your 16 year old daughter brings a black man, who is the same complexion as Wesley Snipes, how would you really react as a parent? Instead of giving the politically correct answer, just think about how you would react at that moment.

In some cultures, they would literally disown their daughters them from the spot if a situation like that happens.

So let's pretend he's a few shades lighter than this man and he was Hmmmm
Oriental, or of Middle Eastern, or Native American descent?
would they qualify the same/be in the same category?
Just thought i would ask

Now my answer is that I would be happy for anyone to walk in the door alongside her that was decent, respectful and loyal, and treating her like a gentleman should.
I might have a problem if his pants or shorts were down below his behind
and he were holding them up, looking like a street thug

Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 AM

37,058 posts, read 42,023,443 times
I would have ZERO problems with it. There might be some cultural difficulties but that would be for them to deal with, not me. The only concern I would ever have is if my kids were involved with someone from another country because they might move there and I might not be able to see my kids/grandkids that often!!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,722,952 times
I'm late getting into this thread. I haven't read it.

I know I wouldn't have a problem wtih my child having an interracial relationship. It's not just a politically correct answer. I know in my heart that this wouldnt' bother me.

That said, I think a homosexual relationship would bother me, but not for the reasons people might think. I'd be concerned with the health risks. It would be one thing to find a life-long partner, buy a house and live happily ever after as a monogomous couple. Then there are no health risks. But it seems that monogomy isn't the norm in the homosexual world and that would be a huge concern for me.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:44 PM

496 posts, read 1,690,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
LoneWolf88

No, I feel the same way. But see, I live in Memphis, TN. That might explain why I feel that way.
I live in Memphis, TN too and I could care less about the skin color of someone I'm dating. I could care less about what the people in this God forsaken city think.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:05 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,068,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
it seems that monogomy isn't the norm in the homosexual world and that would be a huge concern for me.
Oh really?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:58 AM

302 posts, read 579,155 times
I would not have a problem with it. I figure with 11 kids I will have grandchildren in many different hues- like a flower garden!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting