Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Did anyone watch Oprah on Monday with 2 mom-authors and lots of moms on web cams admitting the things they have done or thought as parents that most of us would find hard to admit? What did you think? Some confessions made me feel like "good, I'm not the only one." Others were beyond anything I've ever done or felt. I think my favorite was the mom who said the day she bought her mini van was one of the worst days of her life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Here's mine. I have a 14, 12, and 9 year old and was sitting in a parenting seminar at church. Mind you, I love my children, but the constant treadmill of homework, activities, cleaning, and cooking is exhausting. At this seminar, I piped up, "Is it okay to just want to be done being a parent so you can get on with your life?"

Several of the people there chimed in with the pious, "Oh, you need to treasure your kids, blah blah blah." However, most of the parents said, "Yeah, I feel that way all the time."

Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think my favorite was the mom who said the day she bought her mini van was one of the worst days of her life!
I don't get the minivan thing. I had one years before I had kids. I wanted to be higher up in the road and it was cheaper than a sport utility.

I liked the hair one. I am guilty of not combing my dd hair often. I keep it short (Dora like) so it doesn't look messy. I just can't deal with the crying or the moving of the head at the slightest hair pull.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:47 PM

13 posts, read 25,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I liked the hair one. I am guilty of not combing my dd hair often. I keep it short (Dora like) so it doesn't look messy. I just can't deal with the crying or the moving of the head at the slightest hair pull.
Me too!, I just got my daughter's hair cut, Dora like cause it was sooooo long and I couldn't get it brushed without a major fight, there were days i just put it up in a pony tail without brushing it.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,721,224 times
Quote:
I don't get the minivan thing. I had one years before I had kids. I wanted to be higher up in the road and it was cheaper than a sport utility.
I would just like to add that I am 20, don't have kids (yet?) and there is nothing wrong with driving a minivan (I drive one). Though I wish I had one of those nifty new ones that had seats that fold into the floor, because taking the seats out all the time (I'm moving) and having no where to store them is a pain in the butt and they're heavy! And I don't think the gas mileage is too bad.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's mine. I have a 14, 12, and 9 year old and was sitting in a parenting seminar at church. Mind you, I love my children, but the constant treadmill of homework, activities, cleaning, and cooking is exhausting. At this seminar, I piped up, "Is it okay to just want to be done being a parent so you can get on with your life?"

Several of the people there chimed in with the pious, "Oh, you need to treasure your kids, blah blah blah." However, most of the parents said, "Yeah, I feel that way all the time."

I didn't see the show but I have to tell you, I was griping about my almost 16 yr old today at the school and one of the teachers told me a story her minister told in church.
You know in the Bible God told Abraham to kill his son, Joseph. She says..the minister said he couldn't understand at first how Abraham could do such a thing just blindly...and then he realized Joseph must have been 15-17. He quipped..that would make it easy!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:49 PM

515 posts, read 1,558,338 times
I think that was Isaac...

Funny, with the first two, I really did/do treasure parenthood... blah, blah, blah... But while there's nothing I wouldn't do for my youngest, man, sometimes I just wish he'd grow up a little already!

Glad to know I'm not alone!

~D

Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,181 times
Could have been...I am kinda out of practice on my Bible stories....

Old 04-09-2009, 07:15 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
Quote:
I am not a fan of mine - I'd rather have clearance and AWD/4WD, but I live out in the country, where there are dirt roads, things that hardly pass for roads, and mud in the Spring and August.

I have 4 kids, 2 in carseats, 2 in boosters, and for now, the minivan is a better option size-wise, but I would prefer something along the lines of a Trailblazer or Yukon. (A beater Suburban would be awesome, but I don't want to have to take it into the city).

Old 04-09-2009, 07:30 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
I don't mind my minivan... I like being able to carpool when the option presents itself, and even better, I can have one kid in the second row and one in the third row, so that drastically cuts down on bickering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting