Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times

Advertisements

Does anyone feel that the state of the economy in the last year or two has affected how many children people are having?

Also, do you think that at any point, people may begin to be concerned with overpopulation, and stop having more than 2 children? Meaning, do you think concerns for the world around them would ever override their desire for more than 2 children? (not talking about adoption of course)

Thanks for input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Does anyone feel that the state of the economy in the last year or two has affected how many children people are having?

Also, do you think that at any point, people may begin to be concerned with overpopulation, and stop having more than 2 children? Meaning, do you think concerns for the world around them would ever override their desire for more than 2 children? (not talking about adoption of course)

Thanks for input.
Intelligence and level of education affects it directly. Smarter, more educated people tend to have far fewer children than less educated, less intelligent people. The delusions of certain religions can also affect how many kids someone pumps out.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 AM

433 posts, read 1,770,031 times
Our government is too involved in our lives as it is and are getting even more involved. This is good for no one except those looking for a hand out. We don't need them telling us how many kids we can have.

People are born every day and people die every day.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
To put it bluntly their pocketbook . LOL !! I know alot of people who dont want kids because they cannot afford to feed or clothe them at this point . I agree with that if you cannot afford to feed or clothe kids then dont have them .

Old 04-02-2009, 09:16 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,549 times
I agree with the money... it costs about 160.00 a week for childcare I cant afford to have two children in daycare at the same time 320.00 a week that would kill me... not to mention diapers and forumla Thats why I'm sticking with the two kids that I have - my youngest is 2 yrs old in about 3 years he'll be in school do I really want to start over with another child at that point I highly doubt it.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:34 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times
Well money should affect how many children someone has. But sadly that is not always the case. Like one poster said, religion can affect how many kids one has. Depression and mental illness can as well. (Look at Octomom) Attention can also affect how many kids some people have. Some think that popping out a lot of kids gets them all sorts of attention (again look at Octomom) Bad parenting as a person grew up can also lead to bad decision making. Girls who have been sexually or physically abused often times turn into "matress backs" and are constantly having "accidents". (I guess this last one could fall under depression or mental illness)

Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
1. Education and intelligence.
2. Economy, when economy is down, childbearing goes up, traditionally.
3. No. Instincts aren't governed very well by large abstractions like global population versus available resources.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:29 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Intelligence and level of education affects it directly. Smarter, more educated people tend to have far fewer children than less educated, less intelligent people. The delusions of certain religions can also affect how many kids someone pumps out.

I'm sure that is true in MOST cases. However, my nana and papa came from Italy when they were both teenagers. My nana AND papa are both college educated and both of my parents have Masters or higher.

With that said, my nana and papa had10 kids. My mother and father both had 5 together. Both are remarried and have 2 each with the new partner.

I am fairly educated and very intelligent. My husband and I hit a rough spot and couldn't afford children but we DID have a little angel. Wasn't exactly planned.

So here are three families where that theory doesn't hold.

I believe the WANT effects how many children people have along with money and/or demographics.

In my case WE want more children. We can't afford to have any more for a while. That is not what stops us though! Without getting too personal, I am against birth control (medicinal) and a few others are "irritating" and caused medical problems and the other I'm allergic to. So you know what? We just DON'T get "busy" that often. I try to follow other natural methods but just to be on the safe side, there are really only 2 times in a women's cycle she is COMPLETELY safe to have unprotected sex. And you need to take temperatures and know your cycles and so on...

So the above is what AFFECTS how many children WE have right now

Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post

Thanks for input.
I wish, but I don't think so. At least not with people I know. It is hard to even be congratulatory when my 37 year old friend who just lost her home and is renting, and has to keep working to pay credit card debt, even though she would like to stay home, announces she's pregnant with #3.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
Our government is too involved in our lives as it is and are getting even more involved. This is good for no one except those looking for a hand out. We don't need them telling us how many kids we can have.

People are born every day and people die every day.
who said anything about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting