Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
I agree with the money... it costs about 160.00 a week for childcare I cant afford to have two children in daycare at the same time 320.00 a week that would kill me... not to mention diapers and forumla Thats why I'm sticking with the two kids that I have - my youngest is 2 yrs old in about 3 years he'll be in school do I really want to start over with another child at that point I highly doubt it.
exactly! I realized that 3 in day care would cost too much, and once one or 2 are out of day care, I knew I wouldn't want to start over with a baby! As it turns out, I stay home now, but I still don't want to start over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
While I'm sure there are statistics somewhere that validate the opinion that less educated people in general have fewer children, I have to say that in my experience, this has more to do with lifestyle choices and less to do with education, though lifestyle often does rely on previous education.

The parents who have forked over lots and lots of money for pricey degrees often have high-paying jobs, and high-priced lifestyles, and high self esteem based on their careers. When baby #1 comes along, they realize how expensive daycare/formula/diapers/nanny/etc costs financially, and how much time they *don't* have to spend with the child (even though they may want to), on top of the lifestyle that they're accustomed to, and might make the decision not to have any more children.

On the other hand, the less-educated (but no less intelligent) people who have modest-paying jobs and modest lifestyles, often see that if one parent quits their modest job, they won't have to pay for daycare/formula/nannies in addition to their bills and obligations. For a family that is not bringing in big bucks with a second wage-earner, it often COSTS money to send a baby to daycare, feed him baby formula, use convenience foods, eat lunches out, buy work clothes, use the gasoline to travel to that job....when mama stays home, it's really not a financial burden to have more children. (Housing is already accounted for, baby can be breastfed, stay at home moms can use cloth diapers, clothes/etc can be handed down....)

I doubt that the birth rates will go down with the economy. Maybe there are statistics to prove otherwise; I don't know. It seems as though people have less money for spending on entertainment, so what else is there to do at night?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:42 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,585 times
I don't know about anyone else but I thought about if I wanted to actually go through another pregnancy and birth. It really sucked for me and I was not sure I wanted to go through it again. 5 years later, I am pregnant with our 2nd. But I also think about money. A baby in a daycare center around here is about $350.00 per week. That is A LOT of money!

Kristine

Old 04-02-2009, 01:24 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I'm sure that is true in MOST cases. However, my nana and papa came from Italy when they were both teenagers. My nana AND papa are both college educated and both of my parents have Masters or higher.

With that said, my nana and papa had10 kids. My mother and father both had 5 together. Both are remarried and have 2 each with the new partner.

I am fairly educated and very intelligent. My husband and I hit a rough spot and couldn't afford children but we DID have a little angel. Wasn't exactly planned.

So here are three families where that theory doesn't hold.

I believe the WANT effects how many children people have along with money and/or demographics.

In my case WE want more children. We can't afford to have any more for a while. That is not what stops us though! Without getting too personal, I am against birth control (medicinal) and a few others are "irritating" and caused medical problems and the other I'm allergic to. So you know what? We just DON'T get "busy" that often. I try to follow other natural methods but just to be on the safe side, there are really only 2 times in a women's cycle she is COMPLETELY safe to have unprotected sex. And you need to take temperatures and know your cycles and so on...

So the above is what AFFECTS how many children WE have right now
What are the two times that are completely safe to have unprotected sex? The ONLY time you are completely safe is after the egg is dead and gone. This has to be determined by basal body temp, cervical fluid and cervical postion. What is the other time?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
What are the two times that are completely safe to have unprotected sex? The ONLY time you are completely safe is after the egg is dead and gone. This has to be determined by basal body temp, cervical fluid and cervical postion. What is the other time?

My midwife has taught me the basil temp method. She has informed me (because my cycle has been EXACTLY 28 days since I was 14) how to figure it all out. I know EXACTLY when I ovulate but I still don't have sex 4 days before that and 4 days after. So that leaves ME with only a couple completely safe times. One of those being what was discussed above and another is during my period. If your cycle is regular and longer than some (28-34 days) you can be almost 99% sure you can't get pregnant. Which is just as sure/safe as condoms and birth control pills.

I did the basil body temp method for years then got on "the pill" even though I was against it and guess what? Got pregnant!!! Never missed one. NEver took antibiotics, nothing. So I did the BBT for a couple of months and everything is the same as it was before the baby so I rely on that.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:18 AM

650 posts, read 2,179,700 times
Quote:
My midwife has taught me the basil temp method. She has informed me (because my cycle has been EXACTLY 28 days since I was 14) how to figure it all out. I know EXACTLY when I ovulate but I still don't have sex 4 days before that and 4 days after. So that leaves ME with only a couple completely safe times. One of those being what was discussed above and another is during my period. If your cycle is regular and longer than some (28-34 days) you can be almost 99% sure you can't get pregnant. Which is just as sure/safe as condoms and birth control pills.

I did the basil body temp method for years then got on "the pill" even though I was against it and guess what? Got pregnant!!! Never missed one. NEver took antibiotics, nothing. So I did the BBT for a couple of months and everything is the same as it was before the baby so I rely on that.
In order for NFP or the FAM to be 99% effective you can't just use your basal body temp as a sign. It needs to be combined with either checking your cervical fluid or postion, or both! Past cycles are not indicitive of future cycles, so you shouldn't use the fact that you are always 28 days as an indicator of what will happen this month, especially if you are trying NOT to get pregnant.

You can USUALLY consider yourself safe for the first 5 days of your period, but anything after that isn't considered safe because the blood can mask any fertile cervical fluid.

The midwife that gave you your information only sems to have given you part of the puzzle. I'd read up more on the subject before you recommend it to other people. A good book is Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:12 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,338 times
Funny, then there are people like me, that would have gladly had more children but struggled with fertility! No need for birth control for me and I would have cherished an "unplanned" pregnancy. Money would not have factored into it (although now, looming college tuition is scary). Money has never been important to us and we have never had any extra - we make due with what we have.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:19 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
In order for NFP or the FAM to be 99% effective you can't just use your basal body temp as a sign. It needs to be combined with either checking your cervical fluid or postion, or both! Past cycles are not indicitive of future cycles, so you shouldn't use the fact that you are always 28 days as an indicator of what will happen this month, especially if you are trying NOT to get pregnant.

You can USUALLY consider yourself safe for the first 5 days of your period, but anything after that isn't considered safe because the blood can mask any fertile cervical fluid.

The midwife that gave you your information only sems to have given you part of the puzzle. I'd read up more on the subject before you recommend it to other people. A good book is Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

Your right. That is not ALL that I do. But that IS what the method is called. And part of it is knowing when to "test" and by knowing your cycles. I'm not about to get into the whole thing on some forum.

Thank you but I've been doing it for YEARS and it does work for me

Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
. So you know what? We just DON'T get "busy" that often.
Wow, how sad for you and especially your husband. Unless of course you both just have really low sex drives. I'd really start bouncing off the walls if I didn't get my four or five times a week...

Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Wow, how sad for you and especially your husband. Unless of course you both just have really low sex drives. I'd really start bouncing off the walls if I didn't get my four or five times a week...
4 or 5 times a week? Wow, we're lucky if its twice a week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting