U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 01:46 AM

2 posts, read 322 times

Advertisements

And I welcome any ignorant person that wants to challenge my response to being a parent of a teenager in 2019
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 06:19 PM

972 posts, read 679,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Kids dont all of a sudden just act out..its your fault..you failed to parent him..now you want to whine about his behavior...Its called discipline from day one...I'm sorry if you would of done your job as a parent he wouldn't be acting this way...I have 6 kids and none of them act this way..not one of my siblings kids act this way...My brother would have your son acting right..I would have him acting right..
You went 6 for 6. I applaud your results.

So in your experience ALL kids will act right under your guidance in today's society?
Maybe 25+ years ago you can be more sure of that but not with today's teachers, social media, and TV.

Even if the kid was home schooled they can be passively planning their exit from the rules & chains you put around them once they turn 18. Teens and young adults will shock you how insensitive, immoral and their true lack of empathy.

I know one couple who were model parents (church, kind to others, family oriented, good schools for their kid, trips together, dinner together and more) but once that teen met people who are different and they want to be that way. They said their words went deaf. Teens lie. Sometimes even the ones who practice their parents religion. They want to create their own path, their own world, and their own friends. There is usually a rebel or one who questions authority in the group.

I highlighted what you said above because it's not typically how a good parent communicates and gets 6 kids to behave right. I am part of a six kid family and all of use turned out okay without temper tantrums and are respectful to others.

Last edited by frankrj; 01-04-2020 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-04-2020, 06:30 PM

972 posts, read 679,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysunshine3864 View Post
YES!! That's the key. He absolutely knows how to behave himself in front of others. His girlfriend and his buddies hate me because he's not a big tough guy with them, only his old mother. I am seeking therapy for ME, because I have tried to help him medically, therapy, drug programs, which he says he doesn't do drugs, but I know he smokes pot, and he refuses all of it.
He has a GF and buddies. - with his attitude towards you he should be living with them. Is his income very low and he's forced to stay with you and frustrated? Not justifying his behavior at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysunshine3864 View Post
he was diagnosed with depression and ADD, he was given medication, and after about a month
medication and drugs along with pot? The guy has chosen to be a jerk. Cut him loose or he may end up start hitting you.

-- Why is this 19 yr old so angry? Why are so many young adults dealing with issues that seem overwhelming?

social media and the U.S. onslaught of regular negative news (accusations/political lies) makes people upset.,

how many drugs do teens have a choice to use nowadays?
they are constantly being told their future is extremely difficult with tuition, job income, climate change and more. If they can get doses of positive news instead, things should change for the better.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:08 PM

12,864 posts, read 5,162,079 times
This is a zombie post. This mom hasn't visited this thread in over a decade.

I do wonder, though, how things turned out from 10 years ago.

Old Today, 01:02 PM

640 posts, read 129,299 times
Horrible. Yes you did the right thing. Tough love is in order. He is a grown adult. He blames you? Ok then show him the door.

Old Today, 01:35 PM

640 posts, read 129,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Why are you making payments on his car???? He's an adult. Make him act like one. Never once in my adult life my parents made a monthly payment on my car or paid for insurance. I've dumped men in the past when finding out their parents financially enable them. I always made it work paying my own way no matter how crappy of a job I had.
Wow you actually dump a guy based on his parents helping... Crazy. What's wrong with getting a little help? So narrow of you. Is it because they are men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting