Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 03:13 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
YOu don't know what I've done and what I haven't done. You don't know who I am.

Under normal circumstances nipples should be washed EVERY time. There is special soap a woman can use, or rinse them off well with plain water. There is a cream that can be applied to keep them moiturized, and can be washed off prior to feeding.
It's funny how you are trying to argue a point that does not exist. It simply isn't true.

If your nipples are sore and dry and cracked you can put a cream on them. Most of them are made to where you DON'T have to wash them off.

where are you getting this washing your nipples information from? No links, just where?

I think Le Leche League is pretty reputable for their information on breastfeeding.

And most places that provide breastfeeding info will tell you that it is worse to wash them than to not.

Don't encourage your friends to breastfeed. I will however. That doesn't call for insults.

Last edited by jeannie216; 04-13-2009 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 03:17 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
"MANY" is right. Not most or all or anything close to it. There are many studies that show that bottle fed babies are more likely to be obese, have diabetes, high cholesterol, allergies and colds and flus.

Those vitamins in formula are SYNTHETIC. They are made in a lab. Not to mention there's cow's milk in it which many doctors say not to give a baby under one year. Cow's milk is just that, for cows. It is a replacement for human milk for human children.

There are dangers with the chemicals sometimes found in formula. Just recently there was a melamine scare. Not to mention the BPA found in the containers formula is in and some of the bottles used to feed the babies.

See, to me and many out there, there IS a danger. For me to encourage my friend to breastfeed WOULD be to keep her baby from harm.
I don't think anyone would care for such an extremist point of view. You use scare tactics and insults to validate your parenting decisions. Formula fed babies are in no danger at all. I feel sorry for any friend of yours who decides to formula feed...would they have to listen to this hard core extremist point of view? I would tell you to take a hike.

I breast fed my first 2 kids. One is healthier then the other. I know you base all of your info on google but you should really just open your mind a bit. I will not breast feed our 3rd or 4th. Just not interested. Selfish? I don't know...and don't really care...Don't judge other moms on their personal decisions. Parenting is hard enough...now we have to deal with other moms using insults? Seriously? I am so thankful my friends are supportive and not pushing any kind of extreme view points onto me. How miserable...and shallow.

To the OP...I am sure if she considers BFing her child...I am sure she will come to you with questions. I think you should stand back, let her do her thing and if she needs you, she will reach out for you.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I don't think anyone would care for such an extremist point of view. You use scare tactics and insults to validate your parenting decisions. Formula fed babies are in no danger at all. I feel sorry for any friend of yours who decides to formula feed...would they have to listen to this hard core extremist point of view? I would tell you to take a hike.

I breast fed my first 2 kids. One is healthier then the other. I know you base all of your info on google but you should really just open your mind a bit. I will not breast feed our 3rd or 4th. Just not interested. Selfish? I don't know...and don't really care...Don't judge other moms on their personal decisions. Parenting is hard enough...now we have to deal with other moms using insults? Seriously? I am so thankful my friends are supportive and not pushing any kind of extreme view points onto me. How miserable...and shallow.

To the OP...I am sure if she considers BFing her child...I am sure she will come to you with questions. I think you should stand back, let her do her thing and if she needs you, she will reach out for you.

I'm stating facts that is all. I am not googleing anything. I try not to rely on the internet for my info like some. I get my info from experience and people in the medical field.

Breastfeeding is important. I'm not going to push any of my friends away because they know me well and accept me the way I am. That doesn't mean that all friendships are like mine. And that is ok.

The OP already said she is going to "stand back." That is a good decision based on what kind of friendship they have. There is nothing wrong with it.

I am sorry if some of my posts sound judgmental. I will try to reread before I post to avoid that kind of confusion. It is not my intention. In fact, I respect most everyone on here very much and have come to all of you for questions in the past.

Believe it or not I have Rep'd even Stormy on numerous occasions.

I don't think I'm better and sorry again if it comes across that way. There are some on here I feel the same about and they disagree. It's all a matter of opinion

Old 04-13-2009, 03:39 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Wow, some serious misinformation coming up here that is completely unrelated to the topic of course. And if people want to continue to use the "my kid was FF and is just fine" argument, all I can say is it just shows how little you understand about how statistics work.

As for formula being dangerous, there are statistics available regarding how many children's deaths each year could be prevented if they had been breastfed, and that is just considering deaths, not illnesses. According to a Lancet article (Volume 362, Issue 9377, 5 July 2003, Pages 65-71), 13-15% of deaths of children under 5 worldwide could be prevented by those children being breastfed. According to a Pediatrics article (Vol. 113 No. 5 May 2004, pp. e435-e439), children who were ever breastfed had 0.79 times the risk of never breastfed children for dying in the postneonatal period, with longer breastfeeding being associated with lower risk. This leads to an estimate of about 720 deaths per year of children in the US which could have been prevented by breastfeeding.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventive View Post
wow, some serious misinformation coming up here that is completely unrelated to the topic of course. And if people want to continue to use the "my kid was ff and is just fine" argument, all i can say is it just shows how little you understand about how statistics work.

As for formula being dangerous, there are statistics available regarding how many children's deaths each year could be prevented if they had been breastfed, and that is just considering deaths, not illnesses. According to a lancet article (volume 362, issue 9377, 5 july 2003, pages 65-71), 13-15% of deaths of children under 5 worldwide could be prevented by those children being breastfed. According to a pediatrics article (vol. 113 no. 5 may 2004, pp. E435-e439), children who were ever breastfed had 0.79 times the risk of never breastfed children for dying in the postneonatal period, with longer breastfeeding being associated with lower risk. This leads to an estimate of about 720 deaths per year of children in the us which could have been prevented by breastfeeding.

thank god!!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 03:42 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:

Believe it or not I have Rep'd even Stormy on numerous occasions.

I've given you points as well on different threads, but Jeez girl, you make it hard to like you. It's a real struggle.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Wow, some serious misinformation coming up here that is completely unrelated to the topic of course. And if people want to continue to use the "my kid was FF and is just fine" argument, all I can say is it just shows how little you understand about how statistics work.

As for formula being dangerous, there are statistics available regarding how many children's deaths each year could be prevented if they had been breastfed, and that is ..........breastfeeding.
Yadda, yadda, yadda *yawn*

Old 04-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I'm stating facts that is all.
You're stating OPINION, not fact. And your OPINION isn't any more valid as anyone else's.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I have a close friend who just found out she's expecting after more than six years of trying. She also has a nine-year-old child.

Today we were together with some mutual friends and someone brought up the subject of breastfeeding. My friend said that it had never appealed to her and she had no plans to breast feed her baby. She bottle fed her first child and said since he ended up just fine she didn't intend to try with number 2.

I breast fed both my children because I had read about the health benefits to babies and mothers. I found it to be an incredible bonding experience. Both my children were very healthy---neither ever had an ear infection---and I believe this could be connected to the antibodies provided during breastfeeding.

Anyway, I'd love for my friend to experience the positive aspects of breastfeeding. Would it be inappropriate for me to bring the subject up again and encourage her to try it? Or would this be too pushy? She's a great mom to her first child and I don't want her to think I'm questioning her parenting skills.

I'm not saying that bottle-feeding is wrong and I wouldn't judge her if she chooses this route, I just don't want her to miss out on something that she may never have a chance to experience again since this will likely be her last child.
If she already stated she had not intent to do so after the subject was brought up, why do so then? My wife breastfed our two younger daughters and I understand your feelings about it but it seems you may be the pushy type. She already said what she wants to do. Why keep at it?
Would you like it if somebody pest you why breasfeed instead of the bottle?

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-13-2009, 04:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post

As for formula being dangerous, there are statistics available regarding how many children's deaths each year could be prevented if they had been breastfed, and that is just considering deaths, not illnesses. According to a Lancet article (Volume 362, Issue 9377, 5 July 2003, Pages 65-71), 13-15% of deaths of children under 5 worldwide could be prevented by those children being breastfed. According to a Pediatrics article (Vol. 113 No. 5 May 2004, pp. e435-e439), children who were ever breastfed had 0.79 times the risk of never breastfed children for dying in the postneonatal period, with longer breastfeeding being associated with lower risk. This leads to an estimate of about 720 deaths per year of children in the US which could have been prevented by breastfeeding.
I agree with the statistics but the point is that bottle feeding is legal and for a variety of reasons people choose to bottle feed. I wonder how pushy someone may become because they are concerned about children. Well, that is great but in the end they are the parents and if they know of that option and chose not to, I do not agree in being pushy about it.

Smoking can be dangerous to children and yet many parents do smoke around them. I believe it is sad to do so but we can only go so far on issue like this. I do not agree to being pushy and tell them they need to stop smoking with their children around.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting