Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 09:15 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Yah, people have some weird statements on this thread that I've never heard before, and they say them with such an air of authority even! I happened to have LLL tonight, so I asked at the meeting if I had been missing this whole washing your nipples between feedings thing for the last 3 years. I was assured, with some giggling, that you do not need to wash your nipples between feedings, and in fact it is discouraged to do so. Your Montgomery glands secrete self-cleansing oils. So, wash your hands frequently - yes. Your nipples - no.

That's what I've been saying! I am very close with a chicagoland LLL Leader and she also said that it is so very far from true. I've asked where they got the info but no one has given a responce except that I don't brush my teeth or wash my floors and my boobs are dirty. IDK. I thought maybe I was wrong so I asked my friend and looked it up and looked in my breastfeeding book and called the nurse at the hospital I gave birth and all of them say it's a half-cocked idea

Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I have a close friend who just found out she's expecting after more than six years of trying. She also has a nine-year-old child.

Today we were together with some mutual friends and someone brought up the subject of breastfeeding. My friend said that it had never appealed to her and she had no plans to breast feed her baby. She bottle fed her first child and said since he ended up just fine she didn't intend to try with number 2.

I breast fed both my children because I had read about the health benefits to babies and mothers. I found it to be an incredible bonding experience. Both my children were very healthy---neither ever had an ear infection---and I believe this could be connected to the antibodies provided during breastfeeding.

Anyway, I'd love for my friend to experience the positive aspects of breastfeeding. Would it be inappropriate for me to bring the subject up again and encourage her to try it? Or would this be too pushy? She's a great mom to her first child and I don't want her to think I'm questioning her parenting skills.

I'm not saying that bottle-feeding is wrong and I wouldn't judge her if she chooses this route, I just don't want her to miss out on something that she may never have a chance to experience again since this will likely be her last child.
Of course you're questioning her parenting skills.

My wife had difficulty lactating after our first two children were born, so they were bottle fed. Yet, I cannot count how many officious people elbowed their way into our personal affairs by recommending breast feeding to us.

What? As if my wife had not read every baby book ever written? As if my wife had zoned out when talking to the obstetrician? As if my wife doesn't want a healthy baby? My wife thought it was kind of funny at first. Then it really began to tick her off when perfect strangers would walk up and subject her to yet another lecture.

In short, it's really intrusive and arrogant of you to suppose that your friend has blown off advice on this subject. My advice to you is to kindly mind your own cotton-picking business.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Of course you're questioning her parenting skills.

My wife had difficulty lactating after our first two children were born, so they were bottle fed. Yet, I cannot count how many officious people elbowed their way into our personal affairs by recommending breast feeding to us.

What? As if my wife had not read every baby book ever written? As if my wife had zoned out when talking to the obstetrician? As if my wife doesn't want a healthy baby? My wife thought it was kind of funny at first. Then it really began to tick her off when perfect strangers would walk up and subject her to yet another lecture.

In short, it's really intrusive and arrogant of you to suppose that your friend has blown off advice on this subject. My advice to you is to kindly mind your own cotton-picking business.

I have no doubt in my mind that the parents/mothers who have difficulty breastfeeding believe that it ends there and there is no fix to the problem or think they have tried every avenue.

So I do not believe that many women out there just give up thinking that there might be a solution. The problem is there usually IS a solution.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that the parents/mothers who have difficulty breastfeeding believe that it ends there and there is no fix to the problem or think they have tried every avenue.

So I do not believe that many women out there just give up thinking that there might be a solution. The problem is there usually IS a solution.
True enough. But it's still not your business. It's between the mother and her ob/gyn. If it is important enough to her, she'll seek out ways to breastfeed. And patronizing little lectures from her friends, relatives and total strangers is just not very helpful at all, particularly if the mother in question has already made her decision on the subject.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
True enough. But it's still not your business. It's between the mother and her ob/gyn. If it is important enough to her, she'll seek out ways to breastfeed. And patronizing little lectures from her friends, relatives and total strangers is just not very helpful at all, particularly if the mother in question has already made her decision on the subject.

I've already agreed that it is out of line for a stranger or if you do not have that type of relationship with your friends. It also depends on how passionate you are about the subject.

I would never be patronizing or lecture a friend. I would make sure she know that I would be there and provide positive information and experience that she might not have had.

I just had yet another friend call me today and tell me she was thinking about weening her 9 month old and starting on formula. She was afraid she wasn't making enough. She asked her doctor and they hardly know a thing about it and made her feel even worse stating that "she was probably right and formula was the best option."

I expained to her that her 9 month old is sucking harder and more efficiently and that he might be getting more milk in less time and that her body and his know how much to get/give. I assured her that I and many have felt the same. I also pointed out that breastfed babies tend to be smaller and hers is very large so he must be getting enought and he IS growing according to the dr visits.

I also gave her the number to HER local LLL Leader in her state and she called. She has decided to give it another try and relax a bit and trust her body.

She was pretty set on supplementing and even baught some bottles and formula.

She has thanked me for getting involved.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:54 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
I tried to rep you but I couldn't. It is a waste of time arguing with an activist. People now live into their 80' and 90's and who really cares if an 80 yo was breastfeed or not, or a 10 year old for that matter.

Also these people who pretend to care about your child, can easily send the mom into postpartum depression which can be harmful to both baby and mom.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I tried to rep you but I couldn't. It is a waste of time arguing with an activist. People now live into their 80' and 90's and who really cares if an 80 yo was breastfeed or not, or a 10 year old for that matter.

Also these people who pretend to care about your child, can easily send the mom into postpartum depression which can be harmful to both baby and mom.

Women who breastfeed tend to have less postpartum depression.

I'm far from an activist. If I was I would be sending all of you information and trying to change your minds (those that don't/didn't breastfeed)

I care about MY friends and family. Strangers can do what they want. I wish they would reconsider but it is NOT my place when it comes to all of you

Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I've already agreed that it is out of line for a stranger or if you do not have that type of relationship with your friends. It also depends on how passionate you are about the subject.

I would never be patronizing or lecture a friend. I would make sure she know that I would be there and provide positive information and experience that she might not have had.

I just had yet another friend call me today and tell me she was thinking about weening her 9 month old and starting on formula. She was afraid she wasn't making enough. She asked her doctor and they hardly know a thing about it and made her feel even worse stating that "she was probably right and formula was the best option."

I expained to her that her 9 month old is sucking harder and more efficiently and that he might be getting more milk in less time and that her body and his know how much to get/give. I assured her that I and many have felt the same. I also pointed out that breastfed babies tend to be smaller and hers is very large so he must be getting enought and he IS growing according to the dr visits.

I also gave her the number to HER local LLL Leader in her state and she called. She has decided to give it another try and relax a bit and trust her body.

She was pretty set on supplementing and even baught some bottles and formula.

She has thanked me for getting involved.
Okay. So you have one grateful parent on your hands. Maybe she was convinced. Maybe she was just agreeing with you so you would leave her alone. Being from out of state, she might have just gone right back to the grocery aisle for more formula. How would you know?

Now, let's talk about the dozens of other parents who say, "Oh, great, here comes another La Leche League Loon to lecture me on how to feed my children." The fact that breastfeeding is a good thing is undisputed. The assumption on the part of the LLL crazies that any expectant mother wants to be the recipient of fistfuls of tracts and hours of lectures is another thing entirely.

Again, anything more than saying, "Oh, you don't breast feed," is imposing yourself on the mother in question. For unless the woman is semi-literate, she has probably read up on most aspects of being a mother. She has probably considered breast vs. bottle, and has made a decision.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Okay. So you have one grateful parent on your hands. Maybe she was convinced. Maybe she was just agreeing with you so you would leave her alone. Being from out of state, she might have just gone right back to the grocery aisle for more formula. How would you know?

Now, let's talk about the dozens of other parents who say, "Oh, great, here comes another La Leche League Loon to lecture me on how to feed my children." The fact that breastfeeding is a good thing is undisputed. The assumption on the part of the LLL crazies that any expectant mother wants to be the recipient of fistfuls of tracts and hours of lectures is another thing entirely.

Again, anything more than saying, "Oh, you don't breast feed," is imposing yourself on the mother in question. For unless the woman is semi-literate, she has probably read up on most aspects of being a mother. She has probably considered breast vs. bottle, and has made a decision.

Again. This is a friendship issue. And MY friends are grateful when I offer my two cents. As I am when they do to me. I love my friends I have no problem learning from them. They have no problem learning from me.

Different friendships. That's all. Doesn't really matter. I'm sure we all have great friendships, just different.

And my friend and I are very close. I don't have friends that lie to me. I'm sorry for those that do

Old 04-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Again. This is a friendship issue. And MY friends are grateful when I offer my two cents. As I am when they do to me. I love my friends I have no problem learning from them. They have no problem learning from me.

Different friendships. That's all. Doesn't really matter. I'm sure we all have great friendships, just different.

And my friend and I are very close. I don't have friends that lie to me. I'm sorry for those that do
You're not offering your two cents. You're imposing them.

Unless your friend says, "Gosh, Sue, I'm not sure if I want to breast feed or not. What do you think?" then your opinion is gratuitous. While you're at it, why not offer helpful, yet unasked-for, solutions on doing her laundry better or painting her house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting