Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,064,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Sorry, this made me smile. This analogy sounds like you're offering to wet nurse someone's baby.
LOL, I thought the same thing.

It's like,"I understand that you prefer to bottle feed, but breastfeeding is SO much better, here, let me feed your baby the RIGHT way."

Old 04-14-2009, 01:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I don't think the OP would do that. And that definitely would not be my intention.

It still comes down to what kind of friendships you have and how important the issue is.

Someone said "life or death" or "life threatening" or "abuse" and so on. To me, breastfeeding would be one of those issues. I would only bring it up to my friend over and over again if it was an important topic like this one.
breastfeeding is "life or death"?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charz View Post
To me, breast feeding was frustrating, painful, and not the best thing for my babies. I wasn't producing enough milk. It was also frustrating because so many people told me I should or should not breast feed. I had no support from my family when I tried. When I stopped trying because the kids were underweight and hungry, people I didn't even know told me that I should be breast feeding. Whether to breast feed or not is an intensely personal decision. I found it more difficult because so many people butted in. Let your friend make her own decision and support her fully.
I had a similar experience. A couple days on formula, and my baby started to gain weight, and his cheeks filled out noticeably. He went from the 5th to the 50th percentile after that.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:34 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Baloney. You used the word NAG in your posts. In other words, you repeatedly forced your opinion on them. I worked for three years for a international organization of 12,000 OB/GYNs and Ph.D.s, and the LLL wackos nearly drove us up the wall. Because while there was some decided benefits to breastfeeding, it in no way made a huge difference in the child's long-term health. The matter met with a collective shrug from these medical professionals who were more concerned with an infant's health than anybody on the planet. So, no, breastfeeding is nowhere close to spousal abuse or drug abuse as a matter of concern. Your overstatement of that fact tells us that you are far more interested in parroting shrill hyperbole than being a good friend.
Most medical professionals don't know jack about breastfeeding and it's benefits. The "decided benefits" that you are referring to are numerous. Why wouldn't every mother want their child to benefit from:

*higher IQ test scores
*lower risks of SIDS
*lower risks of illnesses such as pneumonia, diarrhea, ear infections, meningitis
*lower risks of Crohn's disease and IBS
*lower risks of Hodgkin's disease and some other cancers
*lower risks of diabetes
*lower risks for cavities and the need for braces
*lower risks for allergies and eczema

That's not even taking into account the benefits for the mother.

Nearly every woman can breastfeed and if she claims that she can't it is usually because she is told that by an uninformed "professional".

Breastmilk is designed for human babies. Formula is a poisonous product that the AAP claims costs the healthcare system between $331 and $475 more than a breastfed baby in its first year of life. The cost of treating respiratory viruses resulting from not breastfeeding is $225 million a year. If you can do something to prevent that for you child, and you are selfishly choosing not to, how is that not abuse?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Wow, not breastfeeding is abuse? My sister isn't breastfeeding--should I call CPS? Do laws vary by state? Maybe I should call my local police station and ask if not breastfeeding a baby is abuse.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
*higher IQ test scores
It is impossible to prove that statement. The biggest factor that contributes to intelligence is genetics. There is no way to have proper control groups.

The rest I do not believe either.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
I'm curious, 2girlsand2boys, if not breastfeeding is abuse, at what age is it OK for mothers to stop breastfeeding? Some women breastfeed their kids until they are 3, 5 ... 7 .... maybe older. When is it legal to wean one's baby?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Most medical professionals don't know jack about breastfeeding and it's benefits. The "decided benefits" that you are referring to are numerous. Why wouldn't every mother want their child to benefit from:

*higher IQ test scores
*lower risks of SIDS
*lower risks of illnesses such as pneumonia, diarrhea, ear infections, meningitis
*lower risks of diabetes

Nearly every woman can breastfeed and if she claims that she can't it is usually because she is told that by an uninformed "professional".

Breastmilk is designed for human babies. Formula is a poisonous product that the AAP claims costs the healthcare system between $331 and $475 more than a breastfed baby in its first year of life. The cost of treating respiratory viruses resulting from not breastfeeding is $225 million a year. If you can do something to prevent that for you child, and you are selfishly choosing not to, how is that not abuse?
Would it be abuse to have not supplemented with formula when my doctor said to, and to have had my baby continue to not gain weight, and eventually been "failure to thrive"? Would that have been a better choice?

Old 04-14-2009, 03:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,692 times
Quote:

*higher IQ test scores
*lower risks of SIDS
*lower risks of diabetes

Nursing by Numbers: How Breastfeeding Boosts the National Economy

Old 04-14-2009, 03:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Oh...now if somebody isn't breastfeeding, they're actually undermining the economic health of the country. Keep reaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.