Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times

Advertisements

The article stated they had grief counselors at the school. Since the school didn't do anything after repeated calls from the mother, and kids thought it was just so fun to bully that boy, they should leave the grief counselors out of it and let the realize he died as a result of their behavior. Maybe if they lived with that guilt, they would stop bullying and keep others from bullying.

Something very crucial is happening with school aged children. Parents are not doing their job giving kids what they need to prevent things like this from happening. Kids need empowerment, and it starts at home. Self esteem, confidence, knowing what to do in a situation like being bullied (Look at that 13 year old who killed herself because of the internet, if she had been taught AT HOME to utilize that little red box with the X in it, she would have had the strength, she would have been empowered to disregard the harrassers, no matter how old they were.).

It's easier to blame someone else for one's shortcomings instead of taking the responsibility. The school fell short in not nipping the problem in the bud when they were first called, but the mother fell short as well, no matter the outstanding job she was doing, and how wonderful her child was, every parent owes their children the knowledge how to end bullying of them, take responsibility, and know what really matters and what to take seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:55 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
True, very few kill themselves but some do, that's horrible if even 1 does...
Well of course it is. And it's horrible that this child is dead, whether he killed himself due to bullying or some other reason. But to accept blindly that bullying was the cause of this kid's suicide based only on the claims of a mother who I would assume is a little on the grief-stricken and angry side, seems naive.

Here's an excerpt from the article:
Quote:
On Monday, she said Carl told her that he accidentally hit a TV at the school with his backpack and the TV bumped into a girl, who shouted at him and threatened him with harm. He called his mother after school and said he had gotten a five-day suspension, she said.

School officials denied the incident had prompted a five-day suspension, said Walker, who nonetheless remains upset at what she said was the school's pattern unresponsiveness.
What we know from this is that the child was suspended for five days. His mom says it's because he bumped a tv with his backpack. The school officials deny this. For all we know this kid is a problem child and his mother is one of those nutcases who rings the school every time her kid whines about too much homework or whatever. I'm not saying this is the case. I'm saying we don't know. That's all. We've heard one side of the story. The school has already said it's not entirely accurate, but they appear to have the class not to go into further detail. I mean, think about it. IF this is a problem child with a problem mother and he just killed himself, how's the school gonna look if they come out and say that? Not good, even if it's true. Again, I am not saying this is the case -- just that it's one of thousands of possibilities. We do not know why this kid killed himself. May have been bullying. May have been any of a number of different reasons. But bullying is a hot topic word that sells papers and gets people to click on links. So it's not unreasonable to think a news agency may cling to that angle. Just sayin'. Don't believe everything you read in the paper or hear on the internet.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Well of course it is. And it's horrible that this child is dead, whether he killed himself due to bullying or some other reason. But to accept blindly that bullying was the cause of this kid's suicide based only on the claims of a mother who I would assume is a little on the grief-stricken and angry side, seems naive.

Here's an excerpt from the article:
What we know from this is that the child was suspended for five days. His mom says it's because he bumped a tv with his backpack. The school officials deny this. For all we know this kid is a problem child and his mother is one of those nutcases who rings the school every time her kid whines about too much homework or whatever. I'm not saying this is the case. I'm saying we don't know. That's all. We've heard one side of the story. The school has already said it's not entirely accurate, but they appear to have the class not to go into further detail. I mean, think about it. IF this is a problem child with a problem mother and he just killed himself, how's the school gonna look if they come out and say that? Not good, even if it's true. Again, I am not saying this is the case -- just that it's one of thousands of possibilities. We do not know why this kid killed himself. May have been bullying. May have been any of a number of different reasons. But bullying is a hot topic word that sells papers and gets people to click on links. So it's not unreasonable to think a news agency may cling to that angle. Just sayin'. Don't believe everything you read in the paper or hear on the internet.

true....just so sad all the way around

Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
This is a terrible situation and something that parents and schools need to work better at avoiding. Hopefully, some guilt will drive the bullies to change their ways. That is, of course, assuming their parents won't tell them "it's alright muffin, you're better than everyone else and can harass whoever you choose...good riddance." I wouldn't put it past some.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:15 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
No. It's not practically the same thing. Not even close. A miserable life, sure. It isn't something I would wish on anyone, and shame on anyone who doesn't do everything in their power to prevent it from happening or to stop it when it does. But it happens with frightening regularity, and the vast majority of the time the victim does not do something so drastic and irrevocable as committing suicide. Death is, well, DEATH. No matter how miserable and hopeless a life may look, it is still a life and can be changed and improved -- especially when the life in question is that of a child. That leaves a whole lot of time to change things. And again, most victims of bullying do not kill themselves. That is why I would not be surprised to learn that there was something else going on in this kid's life. But we'll probably never know for sure.
Bullying seemed to be enough for the other kids who committed suicide. Some kids are more resilient than others.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
The article stated they had grief counselors at the school. Since the school didn't do anything after repeated calls from the mother, and kids thought it was just so fun to bully that boy, they should leave the grief counselors out of it and let the realize he died as a result of their behavior. Maybe if they lived with that guilt, they would stop bullying and keep others from bullying.
I agree there, though I doubt these kids have much guilt to begin with.

Quote:
Something very crucial is happening with school aged children. Parents are not doing their job giving kids what they need to prevent things like this from happening. Kids need empowerment, and it starts at home. Self esteem, confidence, knowing what to do in a situation like being bullied (Look at that 13 year old who killed herself because of the internet, if she had been taught AT HOME to utilize that little red box with the X in it, she would have had the strength, she would have been empowered to disregard the harrassers, no matter how old they were.).

It's easier to blame someone else for one's shortcomings instead of taking the responsibility. The school fell short in not nipping the problem in the bud when they were first called, but the mother fell short as well, no matter the outstanding job she was doing, and how wonderful her child was, every parent owes their children the knowledge how to end bullying of them, take responsibility, and know what really matters and what to take seriously.
Not only did they not "nip it in the bud" they did little or NOTHING. And that kid didn't have the power to end the bullying, otherwise he'd still be alive. Bullies do not offer up a choice. They don't ask for permission or respect boundaries. There's only so much you can ignore being harassed every day; verbally and physically.

Anyone being abused day in and day out, without a way out of it, will crack just from the stress, self-esteem or not - especially a child. If you want to blame a parent, blame the losers raising these little terrorists.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Bullying seemed to be enough for the other kids who committed suicide. Some kids are more resilient than others.
Uh... sure. I agree with what you say here, but I'm not sure what it has to do with my words that you've quoted. It's kind of like you're saying this as if you're disproving a point that I made, and I'm not sure I see it. Just in case anyone misunderstands -- I have not said and do not believe that no kid has ever killed himself due to bullying. I'm also quite sure that some kids are more resilient than others. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. The only point I was trying to make really is that there really isn't a whole lot other than the words of the mother in an ill-researched poorly written "news" article to lead anyone to believe that bullying was indeed the only reason behind this kid's suicide. Look at that article again. Count up how many times a sentence ends with "she said". They relied heavily on the mom's words, and the one place they looked for corroboration - the school - didn't give it. Where are the teachers saying that they've seen this kid bullied relentlessly? Where are the other students and parents?

Again, I'm not defending bullying. Bullying = bad. I'm just not sure that this actually a case of a bullied child committing suicide because he's been bullied. It seems more like a grieving mother trying to make sense of a senseless situation by grasping for a reason and having an outlet for her anger. So if anyone wants to rant about the evils of bullying, be my guest ... I agree with you. Bullies suck. But there isn't nearly enough evidence in this case to just assume that how the mother says she sees it is fact.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Anyone being abused day in and day out, without a way out of it, will crack just from the stress, self-esteem or not - especially a child. If you want to blame a parent, blame the losers raising these little terrorists.
It starts with parents raising children to think they are better than everyone else. Many of these parents engage in similar behavior themselves and the kids are merely imitating it. There are tons and tons of adult "bullies" out there as well.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Default Special ed kids are at risk but this boy looked like a well adjusted kid!

My husband was bullied as a kid and it has psychologically scarred him till today.

There should be no tolerance for bullying.

I guess this poor kid fell under the radar because he was in Scouts, on the football team.

I am truly sorry for this family's loss.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:31 AM

857 posts, read 1,423,159 times
Interesting how everyone ignores my first post... I guess Stalin was right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting