Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,920 times

Advertisements

heyyy.. im 18 years old. and me and my mom never get along. i can stay in this house with her anymore. she stress' me out all the time i always tell her i want to go see a therapist because i need someone to talk to about my problems but she always tells me i dont need it! im about to graduate high school in june but i need to get out now. i have a job and i have somewhere to go but my mom tells me even though im 18 years old im still in high school and i cant move out without her permission.. i know this isnt true but i want to be sure.. does anyone know? or have any advice for me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 05:17 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,695,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdee228 View Post
heyyy.. im 18 years old. and me and my mom never get along. i can stay in this house with her anymore. she stress' me out all the time i always tell her i want to go see a therapist because i need someone to talk to about my problems but she always tells me i dont need it! im about to graduate high school in june but i need to get out now. i have a job and i have somewhere to go but my mom tells me even though im 18 years old im still in high school and i cant move out without her permission.. i know this isnt true but i want to be sure.. does anyone know? or have any advice for me??
At 18 you can move out without anyone's permission.

But first talk with someone at the school. Maybe they can put you in contact with a therapist that can help you for free.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM

326 posts, read 1,301,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
At 18 you can move out without anyone's permission.

But first talk with someone at the school. Maybe they can put you in contact with a therapist that can help you for free.
Agreed at 18 you can move out but realize that being on your own isn't easy. Like the above poster said seek out somebody to talk to. Maybe it can help you and your relationship with your mom and perhaps you can salvage your relationship with her.

Good Luck!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM

137 posts, read 522,422 times
Quote:
i have a job and i have somewhere to go but my mom tells me even though im 18 years old im still in high school and i cant move out without her permission.. i know this isnt true but i want to be sure.. does anyone know? or have any advice for me??
Yes you can move out anytime, but sounds like SHE WANTS YOU TO STAY. If I don't like someone, I wouldn't keep that person around. Sounds like she still likes you, although you may not like her, or she will be worrying about you if you go out on your own.
Anyway... you can move out, you are an adult, and it's part of growing up. Your relationship with her may even improve after moving out. However, I am NOT encouraging you to move out, because I don't know you and all of your circumstances.
Your mom may think that you are fine so she says you don't need therapist. Definitely talk to a therapist if you feel the need. We all need to talk to someone who understands us. My suggestion is that talk to therapist first, evaluate your resources, then move out (if needed, or if you have the resources to do so).
Economy is tough right now and even divorced couple are staying under the same roof. If you rent - what if you lose your job later on? Or perhaps your rent money will have better use (e.g. college, or save for rainy days for your family). Do a careful calculation first. Good luck!!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:14 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Who covers you under insurance, your mother or father?
If it's your father, either ask him for your card (he can order you replacements) or ask that he take you.

Times are tough financially for most people.
Most health insurances do not cover therapy. I've had about 10 different health insurance companies the last few years, none have covered therapy. Years ago I had one that did but there was a high deductible that had to be paid 1st. My daughters current deductible is $800, so I have to pay out of pocket for every appointment she has, then some of it is covered.. this is not therapy, just medication appointments. The appointments cost $130 each, usually 1st appointments are higher because most take a medical history.
Possible your mom isn't being honest with you about it. Could be she can't afford it.
Are you willing to pay for it yourself if that is the case?

FWIW, you really need to think this through.
Once you are out you may not be welcomed back.
What happens if you lose your job?
While you have a job, do you really make enough to survive?
It sounds like you're going to stay with a friend. If this is the case, are you sure it will work out? Things to think of - when do you shower? How about your friend? What about laundry? If you have to go to a laundromat, do you have money to do laundry? It gets pretty expensive from what I'm told.
Is she going to let you take your stuff with you?
Will you have to buy new clothes?
If you are female you have an extra expense for monthly products which are not cheap. Then food.

Then you have legal stuff.. it sounds like your mom is a single parent; do you even know/see your dad?
Does she get child support for you?

Next, I'm not exactly sure if you can legally move out while being a student. Some states have laws against it. Hopefully someone that knows more can post links to where you'd find this information.
It also could go back to both parents, and whether your dad is in the picture or not.

And, I understand you are stressed out, we all were at that age.
Schools have people you can talk to.
They can also give you names of places you can get help for free.
The best information I've found is in the child study team office of a school (if your school has one). There are usually teen groups that meet at libraries. You can also go to your local library to see.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:39 AM

821 posts, read 2,037,871 times
Most schools have a social worker on staff that can help you if not they would definitaly refer you to someone for therapy that would be free or based on your income... Try that before moving out. Its not easy out there and based on the fact that your mom is lying to you by saying that you can not move out. I would say she really wants you to stay at home. Try and work things out with your mom its a very hard world out there Its always good to have your mom as an friend.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:09 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,059 times
I had this problem with my parents - they were crying, screaming, yelling, ANYTHING it was terrible all this past summer. Now, they complain about me being at home too much and not helping out when I have schoolwork - I'm treated like a child. You would be better off going to school online and getting your own apartment lol. Try to get along with your mom though if she is reasonable and sweet, she may not be as bad as she sounds for real.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,949,108 times
One of my favorite quotes is "You need a license for to drive, fish or buy a dog...but any fool can become a parent."

I'm not saying who is right or wrong because I don't know your situation, but I know not all parents are great and some downright stink. If you don't have good parents, you are entering the world with a lot of strikes against you.

On the other hand, as a 40 yr old mom now.... I know that Idid not know it all when I was 18 (but man I thought I did...) so it's never easy.

But you should speak to a counselor. Like Roselvr said, mental health is WOEFULLY undercovered by insurance premiums...but there are still resources. Talk to school or send me a direct message if you need some help in finding someone who may be able to help.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times
you have 2 months of school left before you graduate HS. dont be stupid. finish HS and then move out afterwards.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:26 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
You can move out without her permission but it would be extremely stupid. You're still in high school. Why not sit down and have a calm, rational, mature conversation with her and try to work out some of your disagreements/issues?

That job you have probably wouldn't even begin to cover living expenses. Wait until you graduate and you can work more hours at your job and/or get a better job. Then, move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting