Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:51 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
And of course, nothing on Oprah could be, I don't know, scripted or anything. Oprah would never ever be a conduit for propaganda of any kind.
Well, of course if it's on tv, it's likely scripted, but this girl's face was one of definite shock.

I'm not sure what Oprah's propaganda would be...she was merely trying to tell parents that your kids likely know a lot more than you expect them to know about sex and to not talk about it means they are getting info from their friends (and if their friends are performing oral sex in bathrooms to lots of guys at their school, they are likely going to have a casual attitude as well). By the way, Oprah's best friend Gayle was on the show as well and was holding up her end of the "conservative mama" part. She was well and truly annoyed at the casualness of the talk of female pleasure and said over and ove again that waiting until kids are older is the right thing to do.

Honestly, it was a great show. Perhaps it was scripted, but it gave me some really good ideas of how to navigate my own children through this maze. They are bombarded with sexual images and ideas from all sides and I am hoping to be my kids' compass. To do that, I have to talk about sex early and often (though not in the "we need to have a talk" kind of way) and to make them understand how much better sex is when you have someone as your partner that you truly love and respect.

The Oprah show just gave me some ideas and food for thought. They also included a lot of things on her website that I've printed for later use. I mean, who has anatomical diagrams of women and men's private parts sitting around? Those diagrams on her website were great and will help me explain everything from where the menstrual cycle comes from to how babies are made. You should check them out on her website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Well, of course if it's on tv, it's likely scripted, but this girl's face was one of definite shock.

I'm not sure what Oprah's propaganda would be...she was merely trying to tell parents that your kids likely know a lot more than you expect them to know about sex and to not talk about it means they are getting info from their friends (and if their friends are performing oral sex in bathrooms to lots of guys at their school, they are likely going to have a casual attitude as well). By the way, Oprah's best friend Gayle was on the show as well and was holding up her end of the "conservative mama" part.
I think you misunderstood. By my lights, Oprah is already insanely conservative on sexual matters.

Quote:
The Oprah show just gave me some ideas and food for thought. They also included a lot of things on her website that I've printed for later use. I mean, who has anatomical diagrams of women and men's private parts sitting around? Those diagrams on her website were great and will help me explain everything from where the menstrual cycle comes from to how babies are made.
Every ninth grade biology textbook has all the same wonderful stuff.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I think you misunderstood. By my lights, Oprah is already insanely conservative on sexual matters.

Every ninth grade biology textbook has all the same wonderful stuff.
I thought it was interesting just because in this case, she was trying to tell parents just the opposite of being conservative. Her message was: If you don't talk to your kids about sex and what you expect of them and instill some of your values about it to them, they are going to get it from their friends and from the entertainment industry. Neither would be my ideal instructor. But, I honestly don't watch Oprah enough to really know which way she leans towards stuff. I just saw she was having the show so I DVRd it.

By ninth grade (that's about age 15), they probably know a lot more about stuff than their biology book is showing. On Oprah, a mom sat down with her 10 year old and explained about how her body was going to change, how babies were made (but more of the technical aspects of it, rather than the act itself) and what the different parts of her body look like as well as her feelings of self gratification and how they were normal, but should be done only in private. The middle school girls who were on her show were talking in a group setting and seemed to understand a lot more than I did when I was their age. They were the ones talking about oral sex and calling it "second base". By 9th grade, if you are waiting for the textbook, you are likely going to be going over stuff your child already knows. I didn't keep my textbooks so I thought the diagrams on her website were pretty good. At least they are going to give me something to hold onto while my hand is shaking!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:36 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
I wish I had seen that show. Accordingly to my 17 year old junior in high school daughter: 1st base: making out 2nd base: petting 3rd base: oral sex, and Home run: well, we all know what that is. What was 3rd base according to these middle schoolers?

I don't think we're going to return to the 60s and 70s anytime soon. Sure kids may have abstained more, but they also got married younger. I had several friends who married right out of high school. Also, birth control was condoms only, and they weren't as reliable. Now that kids have access to reliable birth control, and they continue to get married later and later, expecting abstinence is simply not realistic. Especially when you throw in all the movies and tv shows that are cranked out. Add in the internet, MTV and U-Tube and the expectation of abstinence goes down even further.

But I like the idea of exploring the masturbation aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting