Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
My wife and I are childless and the closest relatives. Do we have a moral responsibility to take the kids? It is likely they will be sent to the state for a foster care family soon.
May I ask this... how are you related? Do you have a relationship with the children? Are you and your wife able to afford the children? WHY doesn't the family - as a whole - step in to support her and the children? Can she get counseling? Do you all live near by? Can you make arrangements to HELP her and hopefully the family can be reunited.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:16 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
I will take those boys. Both of them. I am not going to sit here and listen to the blatent selfishness of this family without my heart going out to these boys. Their momma doesn't want them and none of the family wants them. Well, I tell you what.... I want them. I have three kids, but we'll squeeze them in somehow. The school system where I live is good and my family has enough love to accept children that aren't of our blood. I KNOW this because my momma has accepted my DH's kids and his family has accepted my son. So send those boys to me.... MY family will show them what true, unconditional love is all about. If you do decide to take me up on this offer, don't think you're going to be able to change your mind later. I will not stand in the way of a relationship between the boys' family, but I will not be giving them back without a fight. In MY family we fight for our loved ones.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:40 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Quote:
A relative of mine is always talking about how much she hates being a Mother. She loves her kids of course but does not like them anymore. Her dream is to just disappear and give the kids up. She says it is just to much responsibility. She wants to move out of town and start all over as a single childless woman in her dream city, Seattle.

The boys are twins and are 11 years old. Her parents and father are dead and no one else in the family wants to take the kids. The unhappy mother knows that the twins would be wounded mentally for life if she disappeared and gave them away, but she knows she is a unfit mother too.

Do you know of anyone who just gave up their kids legally because they just hated being a Mother?

See this link: Nebraska Safe Haven Law Cases Rise: Legal Child Abandonment Protecting Children from Abuse and Neglect

May be a trip but....

I would rather see the kids turned over and go to a good family rather than be with someone who resents them or dislike them. I hope you can encourage her to get her tubes tied to prevent any further preganancies. Quite frankly, she does not deserve any children.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:59 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,995 times
Nebraska DHHS: Children and Family Services: Safe Haven Law

Legislative Bill 1 was introduced in the 2008 Special Session of the Legislature by Speaker Flood on behalf of Governor Dave Heineman.
Forty-three senators voted for the final version of LB 1. It was signed by Governor Heineman on November 21, 2008.

LB 1 limits the age of a child who a person can drop off at a hospital and not be prosecuted to the age of 30 days or younger.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:26 AM

101 posts, read 562,834 times
this is crazy! She wants to give up her 11 years old and no one in the family wants them?!?!??!?!The father is dead?!?!??!?!? Now the mother is rejecting them as well?! OMG those poor boys......HOWEVER I can somewhat relate ...I have two kiddos ages 20 months and 4 and they both have autism. Thier father has rejected them since birth and Im a single mom and im overwhelmed and Ive thought about giving them up just so I can be single childless and without responsibility ya know just be free...THAN common sense and LOVE kicks in and I realized what am I thinking?! Those are MY kids ! Thier own father rejected them and now IM going to reject them just to be free? NO I will not traumatize my kids like that ...Yeah I thought about it but never ever seriously ! All my kids will/need to know is that I love them and I will take care of them until the day that I die . Whenever I get depressed about being a single mom of two special needs babies I just try to clear my head and tell myself that it will get better and I focus on making THEM happy. I take them to Chuck E Cheese, the park or I plan a big trip for them and just seeing them laugh and being happy makes me feel a ton better .

Last edited by jeannie216; 04-24-2009 at 05:46 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 AM

101 posts, read 562,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I will take those boys. Both of them. I am not going to sit here and listen to the blatent selfishness of this family without my heart going out to these boys. Their momma doesn't want them and none of the family wants them. Well, I tell you what.... I want them. I have three kids, but we'll squeeze them in somehow. The school system where I live is good and my family has enough love to accept children that aren't of our blood. I KNOW this because my momma has accepted my DH's kids and his family has accepted my son. So send those boys to me.... MY family will show them what true, unconditional love is all about. If you do decide to take me up on this offer, don't think you're going to be able to change your mind later. I will not stand in the way of a relationship between the boys' family, but I will not be giving them back without a fight. In MY family we fight for our loved ones.
AMEN!!!!I cant believe that no one in the family is willing to take those precious babies in! To go from having a mom and a family to being shoved in foster care is totally selfish .I cant fathom it! That is some family!

Old 04-24-2009, 05:57 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times
Quote:
My wife and I are childless and the closest relatives. Do we have a moral responsibility to take the kids? It is likely they will be sent to the state for a foster care family soon.
I don't know about moral responsibility but do you love these kids? My husband and I are childfree and would not hesitate to take my neice should something heinous happen to either my sister or her husband.

Do you have a relationship with these children? Do you see them? I am only speaking for myself, but I could NOT let the foster system take care of my neice if I had a breath left in my body. Do I want my own kids? Nope. Would I take her in a heartbeat? Yep.

J

Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
If no one else in the family will take them, I think that is indicative that this widow has NO emotional SUPPORT. Parenting is HARD and sometimes you need a break... if you can't get that break, you can have a breakDOWN. If you are somewhere/someone who is willing to help her and those boys out, please do. If not, I'll take them. Put me on the list right behind rockingmomma. My kids would LOVE to have two older brothers!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 PM

26 posts, read 66,079 times
Quote:
A relative of mine is always talking about how much she hates being a Mother. She loves her kids of course but does not like them anymore. Her dream is to just disappear and give the kids up. She says it is just to much responsibility. She wants to move out of town and start all over as a single childless woman in her dream city, Seattle.

The boys are twins and are 11 years old. Her parents and father are dead and no one else in the family wants to take the kids. The unhappy mother knows that the twins would be wounded mentally for life if she disappeared and gave them away, but she knows she is a unfit mother too.

Do you know of anyone who just gave up their kids legally because they just hated being a Mother?
"...just too much responsibility" !!!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:47 PM

26 posts, read 66,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Two thumbs up I admire you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting