Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:37 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times

Advertisements

The big problem I see with what she did is not so much that she left the kids to walk home, but the fact that they were obviously not prepared for something like that. If the kids were used to walking places around town and were aware of what to do if a stranger approached them then fine give them a little exercise punshiment. But apparently they were not because the 10 yr old let a stranger take her to get ice cream and then the police station!

I don't believe keeping kids under lock and key because there is a one in a million chance that a stranger might get them. I think the wiser thing to do is teach them what to do in case they are approached and even test them every now and again by having a coworker or neighbor they might not be familiar with ( but you are obviously!) appproach them to see how they would react. This mother did not teach her daughter these safty tips well enough and that is the bigger problem IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:40 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I always carries a long switch on the dash of my car, one that would reach from one side to the other of the back seat. I warned them ONCE. Next time the switch made a swipe across the back seat. I never had to turn around to do it and it always stopped the problem going on back there.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 AM

145 posts, read 435,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Tempted, of course. Who hasn't been?

Would I do it to a 10- and 12-year-old? I would if we were on our street or a street or two away (and it wasn't freezing or sweltering hot), sure. The bickering brats could then walk home... the exercise would do them good, and might adjust their attitudes. But if it were more than that, or in an unfamiliar or shady area, then of course not!

I bet they don't do THAT again.
yep my mom did this to me and my sister when we were about 9 and 13. We were about a mile from the house but we knew the area well because we frequently biked and roller skated there. We sat there for about 20 minutes but then when she didn't come back we walked home. Found out years later she tailed us until we were in the subdivision and then went home. But in the middle of a city, in an area you don't know about and not watching them? Nope sounds like this mom was watching desperate housewives

Old 04-24-2009, 12:52 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
The big problem I see with what she did is not so much that she left the kids to walk home, but the fact that they were obviously not prepared for something like that. If the kids were used to walking places around town and were aware of what to do if a stranger approached them then fine give them a little exercise punshiment. But apparently they were not because the 10 yr old let a stranger take her to get ice cream and then the police station!

I don't believe keeping kids under lock and key because there is a one in a million chance that a stranger might get them. I think the wiser thing to do is teach them what to do in case they are approached and even test them every now and again by having a coworker or neighbor they might not be familiar with ( but you are obviously!) appproach them to see how they would react. This mother did not teach her daughter these safty tips well enough and that is the bigger problem IMO.
I completely agree.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Sounds like the kid could have pawned her $500 Niemann Marcus backpack and taken a Limo home.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:15 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I was astounded when I heard this story. I think she was wrong and she endangered her children. I think this warrants DCF keeping an eye on her. She sounds overwhelmed and coming up with innappropriate ways to deal with the stress.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:

I agree too. I hope the mother really thinks about how she would feel if her girls got lost or worse.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:53 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
And the 10yr old could of been doing it out of spite. Why didn't her sister stay with her? Why didn't she run with her sister to the car? If her sister was able to catch up, she could have also.

We all know preteens or even have one who has the holier than thou attitude & they are all of 8. She wasn't 4...she was 10 & unless she was living under a rock, not attending school, and her parents left her food & water by the door all her life...she knew better.

Just as some feel the mom made a poor decision, so did the 10yr old. And what the heck was the "stranger" thinking who took the girl for ice cream? Honestly, you see someon get left on the street corner & say "Hey, maybe they'd like some ice cream!". The stranger will probably turn out to be someone they know if or when all the information is released.

Lesson learned for all....all the money in the world does not substitute parenting & does not raise kids. And justifying bratty kids only encourages the same behavior to continue.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:02 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
And the 10yr old could of been doing it out of spite. Why didn't her sister stay with her? Why didn't she run with her sister to the car? If her sister was able to catch up, she could have also.

We all know preteens or even have one who has the holier than thou attitude & they are all of 8. She wasn't 4...she was 10 & unless she was living under a rock, not attending school, and her parents left her food & water by the door all her life...she knew better.

Just as some feel the mom made a poor decision, so did the 10yr old. And what the heck was the "stranger" thinking who took the girl for ice cream? Honestly, you see someon get left on the street corner & say "Hey, maybe they'd like some ice cream!". The stranger will probably turn out to be someone they know if or when all the information is released.

Lesson learned for all....all the money in the world does not substitute parenting & does not raise kids. And justifying bratty kids only encourages the same behavior to continue.
Your expecting the burden of keeping them safe should be put on the children?? REALLY?? Your thinking the Mother should have the same reasoning skills as the children as well??

Someone has to be in charge and it should have been the Mother. Its one thing to be exasperated with your children but to put them in danger to get over it is not right.

I'm glad the child did go to the police and report her Mother. It might be what this Mother needs to get her to wake up and smell the coffee. Children have been kidnapped and found dead later with less then contributing.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:22 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,414 times
Quote:
...((post regarding lack of safety-preparedness and stranger-danger for the girls))... This mother did not teach her daughter these safty tips well enough and that is the bigger problem IMO.
You've raised some very good points, skahar. Thanks for bringing a fresh angle to the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Sounds like the kid could have pawned her $500 Niemann Marcus backpack and taken a Limo home.
Jtur, you've raised some... interesting points in this post and in your prior one. I don't necessarily agree with you but thanks for contributing to the conversation.

Quote:
...Just as some feel the mom made a poor decision, so did the 10yr old. And what the heck was the "stranger" thinking who took the girl for ice cream?
Another good point. I was wondering about the mindset of the Good Samaritan, too. They took an awfully big risk, taking the child for ice cream before contacting authorities. Suppose someone saw them, came to the wrong conclusion regarding motives and intentions and reported them? As I said before, thank goodness, the Good Sam was a good person. They do exist .

Quote:
Lesson learned for all....all the money in the world does not substitute parenting & does not raise kids.
On this we can most definitely agree. I hope they all take this as a big Life Lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting