Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 03:38 PM

183 posts, read 264,674 times

Advertisements

Yea well try telling the authorities that when I get my license pulled because I did not report seeing a kid being beaten with a belt. I promise you, if I did not do something, that would be a real possibility and rightfully so. Beating anyone with a belt is not discipline, nor even mere spanking. Beating a person with a belt or any other weapon other than his or her hand (which I still don't advocate), is severe physical abuse. Again, we would not do that to a person able to stand up for his/her rights. But somehow, when it comes to kids, mostly unable to do so, it is A OK. Unbelievable.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You and me both. I hate to see the look on the kid's face when the person they love more than anyone in the world reaches out and smacks them or yanks them around.

And it absolutely makes my blood boil to see a big grown man whacking on a little bitty kid. They are absolutely unequal in power and there is no need whatsover for a big man to hit a small child. Makes me wish a giant would appear every time the man does something wrong and knock the krap out of him.
You said exactly how it makes me feel when I see this. And it's abusive no matter how you look at it. It changes who they are, and not in a good way.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:41 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Also, so often, especially on shopping trips and in other public places, kids are tired, hungry, hot, over-stimulated, bored, have to go to the bathroom, etc. Because they're kids, they don't say, "Let's eat" or "Let's go home." Instead they whine or cry or act up. At that point, it's time to take a break or go home, not spank the kid in the Bed, Bath or Beyond aisle because they're being a brat.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:42 PM

And seeing as you and I both live in "your" Washington State, if I saw you beating a kid with a belt, cane, switch or anything that constitutes a weapon, I would report it. Count on it.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Yea but who cares if a kid is tired, thirsty or hungry and acts out? Spank em, smack em and shut em up. If an adult feels like that, he or she takes care of it or complains loudly. But a kid, just smack em and make em be quiet. I see this in the hospital, visitors dragging hungry and tired toddlers to visit people at midnight and then get mightily angry when the kid starts to cry, scream and kick. Well, gee, maybe that kid has NEEDS that are at least as important as your own selfish ones? Ya think?

Old 09-09-2011, 03:49 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMdotCOM2011 View Post
And seeing as you and I both live in "your" Washington State, if I saw you beating a kid with a belt, cane, switch or anything that constitutes a weapon, I would report it. Count on it.
You would NEVER see me "beating" my child or grandchild with ANYthing. Frankly, if I saw someone beating ANYone with anything, you can bet I'd report it. If I saw someone swatting an out-of-control or mouthy child though, you can bet I'd just give them an understanding nod and be on my way. Why?....because there's nothing there to report....just look of the law.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:50 PM

I looked at the law. AGAIN, the title of this thread, I believe, has to do with "taking a belt to their Kid". That is what I am discussing reporting. And other such forms of severe abuse that go beyond a "spanking".

Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
And just because YOU and some others don't believe in spanking, it doesn't mean that spanking is WRONG!
No. The fact that hitting, otherwise, is wrong, makes it wrong. Just because the child is powerless doesn't make it right.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No. The fact that hitting, otherwise, is wrong, makes it wrong. Just because the child is powerless doesn't make it right.
Succinct and excellent post.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:26 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I agree with you. I don't think that most parents are cruel or hateful, but there are definitely some that are.

My response was probably over-the-top. But I do believe that most spanking stems from the parent's fatigue, frustration and anger and not from any thoughtful meting out of discipline.
I honestly wish that were true. Yes these folk exist. I would not say that thoughtfulness is what is guiding the "discipline" but it is not hate or anger. Some people just don't have decent reasoning skills. It is sad, since they will raise the next generation of people who solve problems by hitting, they will hit their kids, and on it goes forever.

Quote:
And then there are the parents who see all child/adult relationships as power struggles and are not for one single second going to let that child exert his or her will because they see it as a threat to their own wills.
What is funny is how much more effort this takes than doing it well without violence. Expecting my children to behave on a day to day basis is just plain easy. Once we got over the transition from ineffective to effective limit setting, engaging cooperation... They know Mom means what she says and says what she means. There is very infrequent testing anymore. And thankfully we don't have to sacrifice trust and bond to achieve it.

I am sorry. I don't care how vehemently you rave that there really is nothing else you can do but hit your kid. You simply cannot maintain a bond of love an trust with your child if you hit them. Hitting them hurts their heart. (Their body is of lesser concern. Most spankers don't really hurt their kids' bodies any more than a bike accident or whatnot.) It is just not possible to NOT damage your loving, trusting bond if you hit. But some of the posters seem less concerned with that than with obedience. If I wanted obedience I would have gotten a dog.

Quote:
Parents are supposed to teach children how to behave. IMHO, spanking is the poorest way to do that because while it might be effective in some instances,
I will qualify that. Parents are supposed to teach children what is RIGHT. Behavior is a natural off shoot of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting