Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,387 times

Advertisements

you became a parent you weren't going to make your kids do something they made you do and now finding yourself making your kids do what you said you'd never make them do?

Like for example:

Did you ever say, when I become a parent I won't make my kids eat brussle sprouts, and now you make your kids eat brussle sprouts?

Did you ever say, when I have kids they won't have a bedtime, and now that you are a parent your kids have a bedtime?

I know I told my parents plenty of all the things I would not make my kids do and have found myself making them do it.

I said I would never make my kids eat foods they didn't like, and since I became a parent my kids have to take at least a small spoonful of everything that has been fixed even if they ate it the day before. I guess I figured out that maybe if a kid tries a food long enough they may eventually like it. I eventually came to like green beans, which for all of my childhood and even a good chunk of my adulthood I would gag just at the thought of eating them.

I told them I would never make my kids do homework if they didn't want to. Now I have a set time and place for my kids to do it.

I said my kids could stay up as late as they wanted. Now that I'm a parent, my kids have a set bedtime.

I said that my kids didn't have to bathe if they didn't want to. Now my kids take showers or baths at least every other day.

I think the part that gets to me the most, is not so much that I ended up making my kids do all the things I said I would never make them do, but I sound just like my parents while I'm making them do it. I catch myself every now and then and say OMG when did I turn into my mother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,641 times
All of the above! I just smile now when my kids tell me that they will never make their kids take out the garbage, clean up dog poop, go to bed early or stay home from a party!

I will say the one thing I said I would never do and don't is say " because I said so ". I absolutely hated that and I don't tell my kids that. Although most of the time they don't agree with the reason I give them anyway!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
I totally agree! I told my Mom "When I have teenagers, I'm going to be FRIENDS with them".

The absolute last thing my kids need right now is me as a friend instead of a mom!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,748 times
I always swore, id NEVER NEVER NEVER lick/spit on something and use it to wipe my kids face. Well, that didnt last long. Now mine swear they will NEVER NEVER NEVER do it to their kids....ya, right.

I swore Id never embarass my kids. But, I do...on a daily basis. Most of the time unintentionally!!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
I always swore, id NEVER NEVER NEVER lick/spit on something and use it to wipe my kids face. Well, that didnt last long. Now mine swear they will NEVER NEVER NEVER do it to their kids....ya, right.

I swore Id never embarass my kids. But, I do...on a daily basis. Most of the time unintentionally!!
Ooh the good ol' spit/lick trick. It's so good for so many things. I don't just wipe their faces, I also stick down their hair, and get smuges off of clothing, a time or two I think I even did it to clean behind one of my kid's ears.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I totally agree! I told my Mom "When I have teenagers, I'm going to be FRIENDS with them".

The absolute last thing my kids need right now is me as a friend instead of a mom!
I hear that!! I don't remember ever telling my mom that I was going to be "friends" with my kids. I think it was mainly because my mom did try and be my friend to much of the time when I was a teen.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:16 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I hear that!! I don't remember ever telling my mom that I was going to be "friends" with my kids. I think it was mainly because my mom did try and be my friend to much of the time when I was a teen.
True. I think a little bit of each is good. Be a parent, but be friend they feel they can confide in or joke with, as well.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
LOL...my Mom and I had this conversation the other day!

We were all there the day my sister told her daughter...Because I said so!! We all laughed and cheered. We knew is was just a matter of time.

She reminded me of the time I called her and accused her of being in my home. Cuz I swear that was her voice coming out of my mouth when I was gettin after my son.

No brussel sprouts tho....that's just wrong...lol.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:44 AM

372 posts, read 456,088 times
I swore I was never going to ask my kids "Why did you do that?" Because inside, I always knew the answer was "Because I wanted to" but was smart enough to know NOT to say it out loud. I now know that I HAVE to ask the question to get my kids to realized about self will and subjection to high authorities.

About brussel sprouts... we also have the rule that you have to try a small amount (three bites). Well for New Years day, our Aunt fixed pan fried brussel sprouts (I really liked them) and all the kids did okay with them except for our youngest son. Our Uncle started razzing him 'til he finally ate one at which point the Uncle said "I can't believe you ate that! I wouldn't have eaten it." And he didn't! So much for help from the other grown-ups.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
Quote:
"Why did you do that?"
I had one son that I always asked that and his explanations usually made sense and I understood why he did it. Children think and reason different than adults and I use to find it fascinating to hear his explanations and understood after hearing him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting