Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,162,102 times

Advertisements

The only thing I can think of is that I'll never serve my kids Liver and Lima Beans! I'm not a picky eater, but blech! About once a month my mom would serve us this.

I can think of more things my parents ommitted in raising me (teaching about finances, for instance) that I'm going to add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 12:23 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,851,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The only thing I can think of is that I'll never serve my kids Liver and Lima Beans! I'm not a picky eater, but blech! About once a month my mom would serve us this.

I can think of more things my parents ommitted in raising me (teaching about finances, for instance) that I'm going to add.
I remember telling my parents I wasn't going to make my kids eat things like lima beans, green beans and what not. But now that I'm a parent I have learned that my kids should try as many foods as possible at least once so they don't become picky eaters and decide they don't like something before they have tried it. Plus, if I don't have my kids try foods I never liked as a kid, and some I still can't stand as an adult, they wouldn't have much of a healthy diet. Also, what would they do if they are eating over at a friend's house and those foods are on their menu? I expect my kids to eat a couple of bites of all of the foods prepared (unless they have a known allergy) because the people took time to prepare it, the least they can do is eat it to show a bit of gratitude.

I love liver, My hubby however does not so it is never fixed at my house so the kids don't have to worry about ever having to eat it here. It really does make me mad though that I can't cook a food I like even if he doesn't yet we eat a whole lot of foods I can't stand like spaghetti and frequently I might add.

I don't care for a lot of vegitables, but whether or not I like them doesn't prevent me from having my kids try them. If they are never exposed to certain foods, they will never know if they really like them or not. For example, a friend of my son's has never had spinach. Why? because her parents didn't like it, so because they didn't like it they never fixed it and she automatically thought she didn't like it either even though she had never had it. I made manicotti one night and invited her purposely a few days before to come and eat with us. I put fresh spinach in it before I found out she didn't like spinach. When I went to applogize for putting spinach in the dish, she admitted that she had never tried spinach so she didn't know if she liked it or not. I let her have a taste of some left over fresh spinach and she thought it wasn't that bad. She really liked the manicotti and didn't mind there being spinach in it.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:42 PM

758 posts, read 1,869,013 times
I love liver, My hubby however does not so it is never fixed at my house so the kids don't have to worry about ever having to eat it here. It really does make me mad though that I can't cook a food I like even if he doesn't yet we eat a whole lot of foods I can't stand like spaghetti and frequently I might add.

I'm with you there, my hubbys same way. I don't really hate anything but there are lots of things if I only had once a year I'd be happy with, like spagetti! I could care less for it but DH and kids love it, but do you think I could make tuna casserole or goulash once in a while? No...Well except when they go snowmobiling for the weekend and its just me and the baby.

I finally got him to eat things like spinach at least, because how can we make them eat stuff if you won't even eat it. Not fair to say "do as I say, not as I do"!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,311,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHOP View Post
I swore I was never going to ask my kids "Why did you do that?" Because inside, I always knew the answer was "Because I wanted to" but was smart enough to know NOT to say it out loud. I now know that I HAVE to ask the question to get my kids to realized about self will and subjection to high authorities.

About brussel sprouts... we also have the rule that you have to try a small amount (three bites). Well for New Years day, our Aunt fixed pan fried brussel sprouts (I really liked them) and all the kids did okay with them except for our youngest son. Our Uncle started razzing him 'til he finally ate one at which point the Uncle said "I can't believe you ate that! I wouldn't have eaten it." And he didn't! So much for help from the other grown-ups.
There is only one true way to get your kids to eat new things and like them...AND never have to hear them say..."I won't make my kids eat this!"

Put a heaping pile of the new food on your plate...and none on theirs. The make lots of MMM~~MMM sounds while you eat it. Pretty soon they'll notice they didn't get any and want some on their plates. Since you heaped your plate up, you'll be prepared. But first tell them there is none left and its too good for them. When they beg for just a bite, then start forking it out to them, one little bite at a time. My kids love EVERYTHING. I think its hilarious to watch them eating things like plain old spinach leaves or a salad containing raw onions. Our middle one will think he's all tough and knows what we're doing.."I don't want any of that. It's disgusting." "That's fine. More me for. I didn't want to share with you anyway." We'll get the sad face and a couple moments of silence and then..."Well maybe I'll have just a little..."

I did promise my mother that I would never force feed my kids. I don't. Most of the things I said I would never do, I don't do. But I had some different kind of parents.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,747,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
you became a parent you weren't going to make your kids do something they made you do and now finding yourself making your kids do what you said you'd never make them do?
No. If I'd ever said anything like that to my parents they would have smacked the **** out of me. And I'm not talking a wimpy "spanking", I'm talking a belting complete with bruises and the common bloody welt.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:54 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,851,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post

I'm with you there, my hubbys same way. I don't really hate anything but there are lots of things if I only had once a year I'd be happy with, like spagetti! I could care less for it but DH and kids love it, but do you think I could make tuna casserole or goulash once in a while? No...Well except when they go snowmobiling for the weekend and its just me and the baby.

I finally got him to eat things like spinach at least, because how can we make them eat stuff if you won't even eat it. Not fair to say "do as I say, not as I do"!
Are you married to my hubby also? LOL!! My hubby too doesn't like tuna casserole or goulash so those are other meals that rarely if ever get fixed around here. I sometimes get the hankerin for some of the foods he dosen't like but they get shot down when I bring them up for possible dinners. My one daughter and I have been craving hot tuna fish sandwhiches and my hubby and other girls will curl up thier noses. I think I'm just going to fix some just for me and her and the rest can have whatever they want. I might do that with liver as well, I will make enough for my kids to have some and at least let them try it once just for the sake of saying they have tried it. Then if they like it there will be enough for them to eat. If they don't then I'll have leftovers for a week. My hubby can eat whatever he want to fix.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Nothing I ever told them out loud I would do differently. There were things I've made mental notes of and will try to do differently. I'm actually surprised that, now that I'm an adult and a parent, that there are still things I think they were way off base on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting