Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times

Advertisements

I talk to my mom on the phone probably once or twice a week, but we check in with each other via text everyday. I live 1500 miles away. I talked to my dad less often. Sometimes I'll call or e-mail him. I can't imagine only talking to my parents once a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 07:44 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
To those that speak to their parents every day- what do you talk about?

Not knocking it. But other than day at work was fine, teenage child is fine, how is you heart? I just don't have that much to talk about on a daily basis.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
Default Talking to Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post

Not knocking it. But other than day at work was fine, teenage child is fine, how is you heart? I just don't have that much to talk about on a daily basis.

I talk to my mom, via Skype, about twice a day. Of course I don't always have a lot of news and neither does she. The point for me is to be sure she is ok, yes, and to check in, let her know I'm fine and what is going on with me. We don't always talk for very long. I ususally have something to tell her about my son, his wife, and daughter. She tells me what is going on with my brothers, and their families.

I talk to, Scype with, and text with my daughter in law almost everyday. She always has a lot to talk about, she is always busy with something including my grandaughter. She sends me a few photos of my gd everyday to my IPhone. My son ususally talks to me on Scype. He is as quiet as my DIL is verbal. They make a great pair.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 PM

267 posts, read 82,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I think the frequency with which people are in contact with their parents/children is positively weird. Daily? Don't you all have lives outside of Mamma? I mean if she is infirm, she needs care, no doubt. But cut the apron strings already!

My mom is one of my best friends as is my son......We can tell one another everything without judgement......We all have lives and my mom and son are a big part of mine........There are no apron strings to cut.......We enjoy talking and bull ****ting with one another......My family is close and I do not care what anyone thinks.......

Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafromillinois;25186251/
.We enjoy talking and bull ****ting with one another......My family is close and I do not care what anyone thinks.......
Good for you!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post

I talk to my mom about everything. Traffic, tv, my hair, tings my son did, work, school, my friends, vacations, our other family members, my car, her car, clothes, bills, things we saw on the news, people we know, church....just depends on whats on my mind

Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM

17,372 posts, read 16,518,282 times
I'm lucky that I get to see my mom almost every day. We just drop by to check in and hang out for a little while. The kids have a snack and fill her in on their day. Maybe once a week or so we go out for lunch or some shopping.

What do we talk about? The same things you talk to other people about - the news, the kids, the cars, any health issues, that sort of thing. My siblings call and drop by to see her, too. So do other family members.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafromillinois View Post
My mom is one of my best friends as is my son......We can tell one another everything without judgement......We all have lives and my mom and son are a big part of mine........There are no apron strings to cut.......We enjoy talking and bull ****ting with one another......My family is close and I do not care what anyone thinks.......

Well I think that is nice. Not for me and my Mom, that's for sure. But those of you are talking out of closeness, I think that is great. The title of the thread about how often one is "expected" to call... something else!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:33 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Well I think that is nice. Not for me and my Mom, that's for sure. But those of you are talking out of closeness, I think that is great. The title of the thread about how often one is "expected" to call... something else!
I think it does depend on the situation. If you're dropping by every day like I do, then I think my mom can "expect" me to call when I don't come by. It would be weird and quite worrisome if I suddenly dropped all contact for days on end.

But if I lived in another town and/or worked long hours and didn't see her on a regular basis I would think I'd still call her once a week if only to check in.

In my younger days, weeks, even months could go by without her getting a call from me.

Last edited by springfieldva; 07-17-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM

267 posts, read 82,218 times
Quote:

I still feel that a child should at least call a parent once a week, that is expected .........just my opinion....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting