Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:52 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
We're throwing a party this weekend and sent out e-vites and I was surprised about the lack of RSVP's in the beginning, so much so that we invited extra kids since the place we're having the party requires you to pay for 15 kids whether you like it or not. I guess it's the same reason hotels overbook rooms

We wound up having a BUNCH of people rsvp at the last minute and now we have to pay extra because we have more than 15 kids coming, or so they say.

I agree though with these e-vites all you have to do is click a button! The moms on Facebook simply have to get on another site for a few seconds and click yes or no. What's the big deal? Rudeness is just going to keep getting worse.
Maybe they went to the junk e-mail folders.

We always included a text to RSVP option because I hate to talk on the phone, and I think a lot of other people do too. This year we just skipped the party altogether. We took the money typically spent on party favors, food, and such and took our son and 1 friend to a local movie cafe to see a movie he picked and dinner. We then went for milkshakes, and his friend stayed the night. Much easier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Maybe they went to the junk e-mail folders.

We always included a text to RSVP option because I hate to talk on the phone, and I think a lot of other people do too. This year we just skipped the party altogether. We took the money typically spent on party favors, food, and such and took our son and 1 friend to a local movie cafe to see a movie he picked and dinner. We then went for milkshakes, and his friend stayed the night. Much easier!

Easier and I'm sure son feels like he had a great bday right?

Why do some parents feel like they need to make their kids birthdays major productions. Major productions are nice every once in awhile but they don't prove you love your kid more and they're certainly not going to love you more for it.

Does anyone remember that TV show that was on MTV called my super sweet 16 in which they took a kid that was already ridiculously spoiled and materialistic and threw them an absurdly expensive and lavish 16th birthday party? I didn't watch the show but saw clips from it from time to time. It was usually set in southern cali. I remember one clip...well words can't do it justice

AUDREY - the biggest & most SPOILED BRAT in the world! - YouTube

Am I wrong for wanting to throw this girl and her parents in a deep dark hole and then fill it in with dirt?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Easier and I'm sure son feels like he had a great bday right?

Why do some parents feel like they need to make their kids birthdays major productions. Major productions are nice every once in awhile but they don't prove you love your kid more and they're certainly not going to love you more for it.

Does anyone remember that TV show that was on MTV called my super sweet 16 in which they took a kid that was already ridiculously spoiled and materialistic and threw them an absurdly expensive and lavish 16th birthday party? I didn't watch the show but saw clips from it from time to time. It was usually set in southern cali. I remember one clip...well words can't do it justice

AUDREY - the biggest & most SPOILED BRAT in the world! - YouTube

Am I wrong for wanting to throw this girl and her parents in a deep dark hole and then fill it in with dirt?
He did, his friend did, and no stress or mess to clean up. Next year he wants to do the same thing again.

FYI The girl in the video needs smacked! I agree with her the party should be off, the car returned, and her and her parents need a lesson in the real world!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
He did, his friend did, and no stress or mess to clean up. Next year he wants to do the same thing again.

FYI The girl in the video needs smacked! I agree with her the party should be off, the car returned, and her and her parents need a lesson in the real world!

I think that what her parents are doing to her, raising her to be a shallow, self-absorbed, materialistic little you know what is actually tantamount to child abuse.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I never had more than 15 kids at any birthday parties. More than that was just crazy. I simply called each parent and spoke directly to them. If folks weren't sure, I asked them to let me know by xx date. If they didn't call back, I called again. I always started off with a guest list of 20 and assumed I would end up with 12-15 and it typically worked out that way.

Just call people, even if you send out invites. And do everything possible to get a reply . . . including giving them an email address, what number to text to, cell phone numbers . . .

Part of the craziness w/ planning these events is having to invite a whole class, which would mean such a hassle w/ following up. So having less kids on the invite list to start with will make the whole process so much more efficient.

I have heard that in some schools, it is expected you invite the whole class if you send any invites to school . . . so just bypass that and never send invites to school! If you don't know a parent's phone number, are those kids really close friends to your child? My son never visited someone's house or attended an event with them without my talking to momma first. So I always had phone numbers of anyone we would want to invite.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I pretty much invited kids I knew would come to my daughter's parties, and so I always knew the mothers and would call and see if they were coming a few days before. With a summer birthday, I got off the "invite the whole class" hook.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:14 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyhoneychurch View Post
So DS is turning 6 this week and we sent invites to his whole class 10 days ago for a party this weekend. Plenty of notice. I asked for people to RSVP by tomorrow, and of 20 potential guests, only 2 have responded in any way, shape, or form (both today).

He is my youngest of three, and I am so over the whole birthday party drama I could scream. One brother had the party where 3 people responded yes and 12 showed up; another had the classic 8 yes replies and only 4 actually came. Thankfully my older two are at the point where they are fine with 1-3 close friends and a day at the lake or bowling or paintball park.

It means a lot to my little one and he asks everyday who is coming; all I can tell him is I DON"T KNOW. Letters are going to all his classmates tomorrow to try and get a few more responses.... I always reply to an invite yes or no within 3 days of receipt and I suppose I foolishly expect others to do the same for me...why aren't people polite anymore?
The short answer? Because people now seem to have been raised by wolves.

Anybody with a hint of consideration for others will RSVP upon receiving an invitation. To not do so makes you unfit for the company of others.

On the other hand, an e-vite is not a real invitation. First, there's no guarantee that it will actually make it to someone's inbox. Two, even if it does, it might get missed in the torrent of e-mail the average person gets every day (200+ messages for me, not including spam). Three, it would take all of thirty minutes to write 15 invitations, address the envelopes, put stamps on the things, stroll out to your mailbox and hoist the red flag. I would also say that asking the school to distribute the invitations is kind of a bad idea, too, unless the school doesn't have a directory. If you're in a two-income household with multiple kids, those invitations can get seriously lost in the shuffle when unpacking backpacks, etc.

Oh, and request your child to write thank-you notes before he or she is allowed to play with his or her gifts. Trust me on this.

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-24-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 05:30 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
Next time give them an option to respond electronically. I always get good responses...by email. No one bothers to call anyone anymore. Email and text appear to be the RSVP communication tool of choice. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting