Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:36 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times

Advertisements

First of all because the flight is international you will have to buy a ticket for the baby. It will be 10% of the regular ticket price(not the discounted ticket you may have purchased for yourself) plus taxes.
If you have a very young baby some airlines have small cribs that attaches to the bulkhead row. You may want to ask about that but I think they can not guarantee it at time of purchase.

If you still want to brave it here is what you do. If it is 2 of you traveling get your seat with an empty seat in the middle and then hope they do not sell it. Check at the gate to see if the seat is still available. If it isn't ask if there are 3 seats in the back. There usually are but if there isn't then go to plan B. Which is: when you get in the plane put the carseat in that middle seat. If someone comes in to occupy the seat look pathetic and if they are other empty seat he/she may be willing to move. Nobody wants to seat next to a cranky baby. And believe me your baby will be cranky at some point. It may seem like a pain to carry the carseat but it is a life saver. It is almost like bringing their cribs along.
If the plane is sold out then you are out of luck. And lately a lot of planes are packed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 01:25 PM

20 posts, read 53,985 times
That is a really long flight!!!!!!!!!! I flew with my youngest boy from New York to Seattle on my lap and he almost flew off my lap twice!!! I will never do it again. You can't just let the kid walk around because of the other people who do not like children, and there are many on the airplane!

I do believe you have to purchase a seperate seat for your child if it is an international flight BUT I have yet to find an airline that goes as cheap as 10% of the ticket???? I looked into that when wanting to take my three kids and niece to Florida and it was nowhere to be found???????

Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbosgirl View Post
That is a really long flight!!!!!!!!!! I flew with my youngest boy from New York to Seattle on my lap and he almost flew off my lap twice!!! I will never do it again. You can't just let the kid walk around because of the other people who do not like children, and there are many on the airplane!
European airlines offer a seat belt for infants in arms. It may be a requirement. I still do not understand why the US doesn't require it. It is a smaller belt that attaches to the parents seat belt. It can't be that expensive to keep a handful per airplane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbosgirl View Post
I do believe you have to purchase a seperate seat for your child if it is an international flight BUT I have yet to find an airline that goes as cheap as 10% of the ticket???? I looked into that when wanting to take my three kids and niece to Florida and it was nowhere to be found???????
10% is just a ticket, not a seat. It is still for a infant in arms. You have to pay it if you fly international regardless.
For the Caribbean it was just a flat fee of like $12.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:40 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
I am a former travel agent. There is ample research that clearly demonstrates the dangers of unrestrained babies in airplanes. The main dangers are during take-off, turbulence and landing.

You'd never consider holding your baby while driving down the freeway, so why hold him in a plane?

I always bought my babies a ticket. Aside from the safety issue, it's easier for you too. They're used to their own carseat, and most are FAA-approved for flight use.

Have a great trip!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
First of all because the flight is international you will have to buy a ticket for the baby. It will be 10% of the regular ticket price(not the discounted ticket you may have purchased for yourself) plus taxes.
If you have a very young baby some airlines have small cribs that attaches to the bulkhead row. You may want to ask about that but I think they can not guarantee it at time of purchase.

If you still want to brave it here is what you do. If it is 2 of you traveling get your seat with an empty seat in the middle and then hope they do not sell it. Check at the gate to see if the seat is still available. If it isn't ask if there are 3 seats in the back. There usually are but if there isn't then go to plan B. Which is: when you get in the plane put the carseat in that middle seat. If someone comes in to occupy the seat look pathetic and if they are other empty seat he/she may be willing to move. Nobody wants to seat next to a cranky baby. And believe me your baby will be cranky at some point. It may seem like a pain to carry the carseat but it is a life saver. It is almost like bringing their cribs along.
If the plane is sold out then you are out of luck. And lately a lot of planes are packed.

You are wrong. I have never had to buy a ticket for my infant, He flew as a lap child until he was 2. At least on Continental, SAS, KLM and NWA.
But I highly recommend you to buy a ticket.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
I've flown with our twins twice (once with DH at 9 mos and once by myself at 13 mos) and we've purchased seats for each of them. Logistically for me, it just makes sense. But I believe it's also more comfortable for the children. On both our trips, they were asleep before take off, woke up during the service portion of the flight & drank/ate/flirted with other passengers & the FAs and then on descent went back to sleep. They are familiar with their car seats so even with the different environs they were comfortable.

I'd be hard-pressed to do it any other way and for a flight of 14 hrs, I think you will be very happy to have purchased your baby a seat.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

You are wrong. I have never had to buy a ticket for my infant, He flew as a lap child until he was 2. At least on Continental, SAS, KLM and NWA.
But I highly recommend you to buy a ticket.
We are talking international not domestic. My last trip was last year.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
An Icelandic couple held a nursing baby on their laps. I didn't realize until the trip was over that their toddler had slept on the floor by their legs during the whole trip.
Icelandair provides bassinet-y things that you can lay on the floor at your feet for a baby.

I haven't seen one - I always bought a ticket on Icelandair for my infant/toddler, but a friend who flew with two children was offered one.

BTW Icelandair's staff was very pleasant when compared to some domestic US airlines.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:16 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post

I learned the hard way not to count on the "buy 2 seats separated by a vacant one in the middle.." on our honeymoon. I had quite a discussion with the attendant and gate agent since I had ASKED if I should buy 3 connected and was told "No..our seats have plenty of room and you will be able to find one vacant in the middle anyway" and they didn't. But the only option was to wait on the next flight and pay a HIGH price for a middle seat, so we suffered.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:54 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
For a long flight you will want the baby to have a seat next to you. If you don't you have the chance of someone sitting there while you struggle with your baby trying to get it to sleep, sooth it etc. Bring your car seat on the plane, to help with his/her ears getting plugged plan on nursing or feeding with a bottle once the seatbelt sign is off. Bring new toys for the baby to play with. If it is old enough for finger food bring cherrios, and other things it can snack on. Bring a blanket and if it has a special toy or blanie bring that as well. Be calm yourself as the baby will pick up on your tension if you have any. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting