Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:33 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,899,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
Why is the OP "entitled" to quiet and the kids are not "entitled" to make noise? What makes the OP's need for quiet more important than the kids playing and just being kids? Aren't there a thousand threads about how it sucks to be a kid these days because you can't go out and play outside all day the way we did when we were kids? If you live in a neighborhood with children, it isn't going to be quiet all the time!
Nobody is asking for quiet all the time here - just a reasonable level of noise. Between the 4 other homes right near us there are 11 kids and only that one group of girls screams like they are being murdered. It's the nails on the chalkboard variety so that just makes it hard to take.

I find it amusing that some posters make their kids be quiet inside but when they are outside they have a free pass to go crazy. What's up with that? So lets see, you don't want your kids annoying you but it's okay to go outside and annoy neighbors? To me that is just disrespectful but my parents made sure we were not obnoxious to our neighbors when I grew up.

There are many times when we like to open the windows of the house and we can hear many of the kids playing. That doesn't bother us one bit. When the screaming starts, however, that is a different situation as I can't stand hearing the ear-piercing noise.

These kids are outside ALL THE TIME. Usually 5-6 days a week at a minimum from 3-5pm then again at 7-9pm. None of the other neighborhood kids are out that much and my wife and I wondered "Don't they have homework or something?" We see the other kids in sports uniforms or other stuff coming and going but not these girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 02:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,032,822 times
Even though the dad got defensive, you bringing it up might have planted the seed. He may have realized later that the girls are louder than "normal kids playing." maybe he'll do something about it after all, even though his first reaction was not to.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:35 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,118,467 times
So...........you began teaching them it's not ok to scream. Then gave up teaching them what is proper because some inconsiderate adult made noise that could have been stopped had you notified the HOA?
OK-that makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I hate to say it, but I have one boy who is a screamer. I hate it, and I've brought him inside on several occasions for a time out b/c we don't like the behavior. It's obnoxious and embarrassing to me. My other boy is really not a screamer, but will kind of feed into it only sometimes if the other kids are doing it.

I remember one day bringing both boys back home (they were across the street in the neighbor boy's driveway playing) b/c they were being too loud. I told them about neighbors, courtesy, etc. Well, not 20 minutes later, one of the 'older' neighbors started working on his hot rod in the driveway...revving it up much louder than my kids could ever scream. And that behavior is definitely against HOA rules and regulations.

So, in all honesty, I haven't given as many timeouts for screaming behavior as I once did.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 PM

52 posts, read 403,305 times
Quote:
I think as long as the girls int he OP's situation are not outside doing their screaming in the middle of the night, and disrupting people's sleep, then they are entitled to be as loud as they want in their own yard.
Quote:
Why is the OP "entitled" to quiet and the kids are not "entitled" to make noise? What makes the OP's need for quiet more important than the kids playing and just being kids? Aren't there a thousand threads about how it sucks to be a kid these days because you can't go out and play outside all day the way we did when we were kids? If you live in a neighborhood with children, it isn't going to be quiet all the time!
The OP is "entitled" to quiet in his own home because that's what we have homes for, they're our places of refuge.

Similarly, kids are "entitled" to play outside, especially in their own yards; it's good for their development, and it's part of their refuge.

Kids are not "entitled" to screech all day long. There's a difference between playing, and continuously screaming at the top of one's lungs.

It doesn't matter if the screaming originates on their own property, since sound can cross borders between different lots. Once your actions cause distress to those around you, in their own places of refuge (with the windows shut, and a white noise machine on), you need to consider what being a good neighbor is all about. If you do not believe you have to accept a certain level of responsibility to achieve a comfortable level of co-habitation, then you indeed have a true sense of entitlement.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 PM

841 posts, read 4,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
So...........you began teaching them it's not ok to scream. Then gave up teaching them what is proper because some inconsiderate adult made noise that could have been stopped had you notified the HOA?
OK-that makes no sense to me.
Yes, the guy making all of the noise is on the HOA executive board. You may not understand my reasoning, but that's okay. I was trying to teach him to be more thoughtful of our neighbors, which I still do teach him every day, in ways other than just noise control. But when it comes to being loud outside in our yard or other kids' yards, the lesson only goes so far if other neighbors are even louder than the kids' playful yelling.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:46 PM

363 posts, read 1,141,791 times
Quote:
I was trying to teach him to be more thoughtful of our neighbors, which I still do teach him every day, in ways other than just noise control.
The sad thing is that no matter what you do to try to "teach" this guy, he is not going to get it. If he does not understand by now than he probably never will.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:11 PM

758 posts, read 1,865,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Even though the dad got defensive, you bringing it up might have planted the seed. He may have realized later that the girls are louder than "normal kids playing." maybe he'll do something about it after all, even though his first reaction was not to.

You could be right about that. I've seen people get very defensive about things when they are brought up to them but you notice that their behavior does change a little bit later on.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,899,165 times
Default Interesting...

so I browsed through our neighborhood covenants and under the "Nuisances" section it says the following:

"No obnoxious or offensive activity may be carried on about the lots nor shall anything be done which may become an unreasonable annoyance or nuisance to any owner. No practice shall be allowed in or around the homes which is a source of annoyance to owners or occupants of homes which interferes with peaceful possession of the homes or surrounding areas. No loud noises or noxious odors shall be permitted in any improvements, lots or homes."

Now I would interpret this to mean screaming outside is not an allowable activity according to our HOA if the noise bothers someone next to you.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:47 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,690,192 times
Its called creating a Public Disturbance and Disturbing the Peace and you have a right to let the police handle it. The neighbors have to respect your right to live in peace and quiet, as well and a compromise should be met that appeases you both.

Example: They play outside for X amount of time and then they need to take it inside or to a park, etc. And you need to let them play for that time in peace without any guff. Thats an example.

In a similar case, we have neighbors that have a loud party every Fri and Sat night well into the night. We ended up having to move our furniture around so that we weren't sitting or laying next to our windows anymore so that the sounds didn't carry thru as much. Now we get some sleep and can hear the tv but it still burns me that I had to move my furniture and beds because of their lack of consideration. But it did keep us from going over there or calling the cops which we were sorely tempted to do a few times.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 AM

50,005 posts, read 63,335,877 times
The father handled it totally wrong. He should have apologized, and asked the girls to be more considerate of you. A teachable moment that the father misssed.

Sure, the kids are only being kids, but since they live in close proximity to others they need to be aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting