Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I absolutely CANNOT believe that you're going to far as to make these comparisons.

A pervert stalking children on a playground is comparable to a boy peeing on a tree?

I'm sorry, but this is absurd.
I should have been more clear, that is my fault. The laws that allow for the legal system to press charges against a man for peeing in public are BECAUSE of perves who flash children and others in the community. Now its not funny to write your name in the snow in some states because you can be mistaken for a perv. Thats all I meant.

I am NOT accusing this boy of being a perv, not in anyway. I will bet you if his Mother asked him, he will tell her that his teacher doesn't allow him to go to the bathroom often enough. Otherwise his peeing on the tree would not have become necessary.

Any adult out there thinking that is still cute is really misinformed about the law and what doing the CUTE writing your name in the snow could get you in todays world. Yesteryear, things weren't the same because people didn't notice.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I am blaming everything on the school but sometimes I feel like the school just doesn't pay attention. I have to believe this Mother when she says he knows better so there must be another reason that this boy departed from what is normal for him.

I would still be upset if my daughter witnessed this but in talking with the Mother, if I found out they had not allowed him to go to the bathroom enough, my attention would shift to anger at the ignorance of the school and not the Mother of this boy and the little boy himself.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
ONLY reason this would be acceptable is if the teachers are not allowing to go to the restroom. I bet they wouldn't do it to him again!
So it would be acceptable for girls and boys to urinate all over the playground if they were not allowed to use a bathroom at school? Get real. You would not think for a moment that girls should pull their pants down at school, outdoors to urinate under ANY circumstances. Why would it be acceptable for boys? It's not.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:13 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Bah. This is a flimsy excuse, but one that the fellas like to use (even grown men use it ). Girls can also get so absorbed in play that they forget until the urge is so quick... but somehow, they nearly always manage to hold it until they get to an appropriate place. If he *really* couldn't hold it, he wouldn't have been able to make it as far as a tree and he certainly wouldn't have had time to scout out a private tree.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I should have been more clear, that is my fault. The laws that allow for the legal system to press charges against a man for peeing in public are BECAUSE of perves who flash children and others in the community. Now its not funny to write your name in the snow in some states because you can be mistaken for a perv. Thats all I meant.

I am NOT accusing this boy of being a perv, not in anyway. I will bet you if his Mother asked him, he will tell her that his teacher doesn't allow him to go to the bathroom often enough. Otherwise his peeing on the tree would not have become necessary.

Any adult out there thinking that is still cute is really misinformed about the law and what doing the CUTE writing your name in the snow could get you in todays world. Yesteryear, things weren't the same because people didn't notice.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I am blaming everything on the school but sometimes I feel like the school just doesn't pay attention. I have to believe this Mother when she says he knows better so there must be another reason that this boy departed from what is normal for him.

I would still be upset if my daughter witnessed this but in talking with the Mother, if I found out they had not allowed him to go to the bathroom enough, my attention would shift to anger at the ignorance of the school and not the Mother of this boy and the little boy himself.
I'm not particularly in disagreement with anything you said.

But I'll still say this incident has been blown completely out of proportion.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I just got a phone call from the school to pick up my 9 son who was suspended for peeing on a tree during recess. IMO this is a bit too much for what he did.

Thoughts? I think this is way over the top and was going to go to the principal tomorrow because I just don't think it is right.....
Well if mom doesn't know any better what can we expect from her son? Guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree.

The school is saying that your son's behavior isn't acceptable on their grounds. Pipe down and let your son learn a lesson.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
The poor kid is only 9 yrs old...give him some slack and a talking too with NO suspension.

He should be in Class and not at home watching the boob tube.

Americans are so UPTITE when it comes to some body function needs.

A true story I witnessed;

While in Japan during Korea...I was the driver for the Batt XO. Was asked (ordered) to drive a American Special Services woman over to another base. On the way over driving in the countryside...came upon a school bus stopping along side the road. They had stopped for a Pit Stop all out in the open. The boys all stood in a row doing their thing on the right side of the bus (traffic moves on the left side of the road). Now the school girls (who were in school uniforms like the boys) were doing their natural thing girls or women do. This was all out in the open country (nearby rice paddys). Bear in mind that the Bus was between all the kids so they could not see each other. Spent a yr in Japan and they are not uptite at all.

I was at a Japanese hospital and asked a doctor for the "Benjo" (bathroom). He told me to go down a certain hallway and there would be two doors and to enter the door on the right. Okay...I go down the hallway...find the two doors...enter the one on the right...sure enough the right side was for the men. Problem for me was while standing there I heard a door open and a woman entered the other door into this large room that I was in. She entered a stall...closing the door behind her and never paid me any attention. Two different doors but into the same room.

Now that was in Japan and can imagine other Asian countries being the same. NO big DEAL.

Being a school bus had stopped on the road I slowed down in passing...the Special Services gal was blushing like crazy...and YES she was a young single girl at our base.

Steve

Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,047 times
I'm backing up the OP. She never said it was okay--just that she thought suspension was a bit harsh, and I agree. I would think the loss of recess for the week is the best.

And the comparison between the bullying and peeing is totally appropriate--we are talking a comparison of punishment to crimes. In the OP's personal experience, bullying has equaled no punishment and peeing (out of the way) equals two days of suspension, PLUS loss of recess for a week. I would talk to the principal, as even keel as possible, and ask about this difference. I would say that I agree the peeing incident was wrong, but that I don't agree about the punishment. I would continue to say that even so, I will stand by the school's decision--and by the way, why does this get suspension and the bullying doesn't?

And come on people--a nine year old peeing behind a tree, to the side of the school does not equal "exposure." Most boys barely even pull their pants down--just flip it up over their waistband. By the sounds of some of you lynchers, you would call the police on me for changing my toddler's diaper in public. Bleh.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 PM

153 posts, read 689,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
By the sounds of some of you lynchers, you would call the police on me for changing my toddler's diaper in public. Bleh.
To be fair, when you change your son's diaper, I'd bet you're exposing more than the nine yr old did when he unzipped and peed behind a tree. Plus, diapers really smell. I'd call in the feds. This thread is insane.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
I live in a rural area and I know some people will teach their boys that it is ok to pee outside if our there already. But in a public place, especially school, no. I could picture a 3, 4 or 5 year old forgetting where he was and doing this, but not at 9. There are bathrooms at the school.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:46 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
One thing has nothing to do with the other unless the abuse he has endured CAUSED him to loose his head and pee on the tree. As his parent if someone is bullying him, I would think you would be down to the school to talk to them and DEMAND something be done. Ask why your son was physically brutalized ON THEIR WATCH, threaten to call DCF if it happens again. DCF is there to protect children, not just from stupid parents but from anyone who harms a child. If a school is allowing physical bullying to go on AND not notify the childs parents then I personally would call DCF and notify them. One visit from that agency and I should imagine they would change their ways.

I don't get your comparison at all.
The comparison as another poster said has to do with the way the school disciplines children. How can the school do nothing to a child that has physically hit my son twice, seen by an adult? Yes I was in the Principals office immidiately when I found out what happened, from my son! I didn't get a phone call home.

My son was suspended for two days for going to the side of the playground not exposing himself and peeing on a tree. No it is not good behavior, he shouldn't have done it and it was a huge mistake. He knew beforehand this was not appropriate behavior.

So what kind of message is the school sending my son? You make a very bad mistake, you are suspended. Someone bullies you eh, no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting