Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:37 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,125 times

Advertisements

As a parent I take an active role in my child’s education. I do so not because I’m going for some sort of parent of the year award, (no award could ever be enough) but because after years of being a school-aged child myself, I know better than to assume that just because children are in a school setting, they are safe from all unhealthy elements! On a typical visiting day I was once again reminded of that fact.

Maturity 2009 ? | Not growing up too fast = immature? (http://rdparent.paidtoblog.com/articles/hello-world/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
In my opinion there is an interesting dichotomy in our society. While kids might be exposed to more sexuality than they used to be (I assume that's what is meant by growing up to fast) they are also being raised in a bubble meant to protect them from any possible harm. I do not think that either is healthy.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,730 times
I think the "protection" is in some cases is more about the parent's discomfort or feeling awkward about something than the actual effect its having on the kids (which is likely minimal esp if they don't understand it).

By "not allowing it" they avoid having to ever deal with it.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:31 AM

I often wonder the same thing about how I raise my own children. I mean, is it even possible to raise children in a bubble these days? Unless a child is home schooled, they have to have contact with the outside world and the things that are in it (sex, violence, drug use etc). Is it unhealthy to want to distant your children from bad influences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In my opinion there is an interesting dichotomy in our society. While kids might be exposed to more sexuality than they used to be (I assume that's what is meant by growing up to fast) they are also being raised in a bubble meant to protect them from any possible harm. I do not think that either is healthy.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:37 AM

So in those cases are you recommending that parents should allow their children to do whatever, so that their forced to talk about (or deal with) it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I think the "protection" is in some cases is more about the parent's discomfort or feeling awkward about something than the actual effect its having on the kids (which is likely minimal esp if they don't understand it).

By "not allowing it" they avoid having to ever deal with it.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
I often wonder the same thing about how I raise my own children. I mean, is it even possible to raise children in a bubble these days? Unless a child is home schooled, they have to have contact with the outside world and the things that are in it (sex, violence, drug use etc). Is it unhealthy to want to distant your children from bad influences?
Children are members of the larger world around them. I think that parents need to educate their children about how to function in the world around them. It does them no favors to keep the outside world from them forever.

In order to exert your influence on kids you need to guide them on what is important to you. Of course this all needs to be age appropriate.

So while there is no need for a 5 year old to know what a blow job is, a young teen (12-15) should know. What do you gain by trying to keep it from them? What you lose by keeping things from them is the ability to impart YOUR values to them.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
I think the bigger problem today is that children are kept from having any REAL responsibility for themselves. As parents, we tend to cater to their every need, preventing them from developing the creativity & resilience that will allow them to become successful, self-reliant adults.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
I love the article from the woman who let her 10 year old take the subway in NYC by himself to get home. The uproar was amazing against this woman.

The funny thing is, back in the day, my dad used to get to school the same way, changing subways without issue. I try my best not to be a helicopter parent, but with the media exposing everything that can happen to your child, it is really hard to let go!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:01 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
My chidren are grown now, but if I were raising them over again in this time period, their TV and internet access would be strictly limited, they would not have cell phones, and they would not eat fast food. I don't mean that kids should be raised in a bubble, but they should be shielded from the depravity that is on TV and the net these days, and the anything goes unhealthy influences.
We are by no means prudish, and our kids were pretty worldly, but the stuff on reality TV these days is enough to curl my hair.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:04 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Children are members of the larger world around them. I think that parents need to educate their children about how to function in the world around them. It does them no favors to keep the outside world from them forever.

In order to exert your influence on kids you need to guide them on what is important to you. Of course this all needs to be age appropriate.

So while there is no need for a 5 year old to know what a blow job is, a young teen (12-15) should know. What do you gain by trying to keep it from them? What you lose by keeping things from them is the ability to impart YOUR values to them.
Well put!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting