Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times

Advertisements

I was 29, but was done with school (although am currently thinking of both more kids and getting a PhD). I would have found it extremely difficult as an undergraduate, and would have had difficulties during my initial years of grad school (my MA work took a LOT of time and didn't offer much flexibility) but I've heard from others that having children slightly later in graduate school can be very good timing; you'll still be exhausted, of course, but at least it's easier to fit independent research (as opposed to formal classes) around a at-times complicated schedule. I don't know if that works for your particular program or field, as I assume things can vary greatly. I would, if at all possible, at least try to get one year of school done before having the baby; you'll get at least some of the core requirements out of the way, you'll know everyone and how things work, and you'll be able to better figure out how to adapt your schedule. Also expect the unexpected (sorry, know it's a cliche!); my son came early, and we both had some medical problems over the next six or so months. Try looking at the Chronicle of Higher Education's website - some of their articles are available without a subscription, and certainly the issue of balancing career/school with children is something a lot of women (and men, too) are dealing with, especially considering that for most women the prime graduate school years are also the prime childbearing years. Also, maybe after you start your program you'll have a better chance to see if other people are having or have had kids, and how they've dealt with it; they'll be able to give you specific advice or recommendations based on your own program. I do know people who have successfully balanced both, so it can definitely be done. (look into daycare, too, if that's going to be an issue - sometimes even the school-based programs can have extremely long waiting lists for infant daycare - some to two years! - so you might want to put your name on the list way before you need it, just in case.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Thanks for all your responses! I am going back to school for my master's degree in the fall, but we want to have a baby in the next couple years... I just don't know if being pregnant and going to college will be too challenging for me, but we also don't want to wait several more years before having a baby.
Sounds like baby fever. There would be only a couple of reasons not to wait.
1.) Your are older than 35
2.) You are planning to have lots of kids
3.) You may have reasons to believe that you may have trouble getting pregnant.

There is nothing anyone can tell you that will prepare you for what it means to have a baby. It is 24/7 and no vacations. You will be torn between school and the baby and both will suffer. Be a little patient. It will be worth it.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:55 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Sounds like baby fever. There would be only a couple of reasons not to wait.
1.) Your are older than 35
2.) You are planning to have lots of kids
3.) You may have reasons to believe that you may have trouble getting pregnant.

There is nothing anyone can tell you that will prepare you for what it means to have a baby. It is 24/7 and no vacations. You will be torn between school and the baby and both will suffer. Be a little patient. It will be worth it.
Oh, I don't know. I guess I disagree. For some people it works really well and neither schoolwork nor baby suffers. But yes, nothing can prepare you for life post-baby! The worse part--not knowing what kind of personality your baby will have. Up all times of the night, or sleeping through the night early on... etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting