Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times

Advertisements

How old were you when you had your first baby?

And also, has anyone had a baby while attending college? Did it make school/the pregnancy more difficult, or was it easy to finish your degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
How old were you when you had your first baby?

And also, has anyone had a baby while attending college? Did it make school/the pregnancy more difficult, or was it easy to finish your degree?
I was 28 when my first child was born. I was doing my Masters degree at UCONN. My son was due in Feb so I did not take classes during the Spring semester. I went back in the summer. I only had 2 classes left to take and my husband came home early enough for me to attend my evening classes in the summer.

It wasn't that difficult for me to finish my degree, but I only had 2 classes left.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
I was 27. While I'm sure there are many, many women who have successfully finished school while pregnant, I was too distracted to have done it well. Some people call it pregnancy brain. For me, it was a general inability to concentrate or hold a train of thought as well.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 AM

326 posts, read 1,301,706 times
I was 27 and while I wasn't going to school at the time I was working two jobs to save money for my big move to another state before the baby came.

I was greatful to have a really easy pregnancy. I think it just depends on the women and the kind of pregnancy they are having.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:26 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
I was 17 when I got pregnant with my oldest and 9 days from being 18 when I had her. The birth control failed me so she was unplanned,(I know it was stupid to not have 2 forms of BC a mistake I have tried to encourage my kids not to make, I said tried because you will see below why) but she was my blessing in disguise. I had to grow up fast and make some big changes in my life because of her. Who knows where and how I would have ended up if she had not come along when she did. I have a feeling I would have ended up worse off. My life was a mess to say the least before I became pregnant.

My oldest was 19 when she had her little one (my grandbaby) she just graduated this past Sat. from college with her Associates degree and with honors. She made the Deans list and graduated Phi Theta Kappa with at least a 3.5 GPA. She of course wasn't pregnant when she first started college or while she was in college. She was preggers at the end of High School (actually she was out of high school because she technically graduated at the end of first semester her senior year, she just waited to walk with her fellow classmates to get her diploma at the end of the year) and didn't attend College the fall semester after the baby was born, she waited until Spring semester to start.

It was tough for her tho. She worked part time and went to school both day and night classes and had to study and take care of a baby when she wasn't working or in class. I think what made it just a little easier on her was having the support of my DH and I and the baby's daddy, her now husband.

I really wish she would have learned from my mistake and would have taken better precautions to keep from getting PG until after she was done with college and was married. It was hard to watch her struggle, but she did it an it only made her stronger and more determined to be the best student she could be and be a good mother and wife and worker as well.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:01 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I had to take courses to renew my teaching license when my #1 was a newborn. Three classes + a newborn. I'd much rather had taken them when I was pregnant but could not b/c I was working.

Easy? No.

Impossible? No.

It comes down to just doing it.

I'm taking classes again & now have two children (3 & 1)

I worked a full-time job, part-time job & attended grad school when single with no kids.

Found that to be much harder.

I am much more focused & disciplined now b/c there is only so much time in the day & the responsibilities are far greather.

Tons of women successfully go to school or work when they are pregnant. It's not really a new concept

Old 05-14-2009, 10:09 AM

105 posts, read 286,774 times
I was just under 25 when I had my daughter. I was attending college part time, and working full time. I had her in the fall, and did take the fall semester off at school. Yes, it's hard, but if you put in the effort you can do it, and it is so rewarding once you have accomplished your goal.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:31 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
I was 20 when I had my first child and was single at the time. I had to leave college to get a FullTime job to support him. But I am now after a marriage another baby and 5 years finally going back to college. It was all worth it as I now have the family I've always wanted, a wonderful husband and my 2 children.
Good Luck in whatever you choose!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:41 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
I had my first at 18, my second at 20. After that I figured out how it was happening and didn't have any more.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:01 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,838 times
I had my daughter at 30 and my son at 33. I felt ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting