Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:14 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
My child went to a school that required uniforms for two years, then we moved to another state. She does not have to wear a uniform now. I prefer the uniforms hands-down.
was there any particular reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 01:25 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
was there any particular reason?
It made for much easier mornings and much less pressure to wear certain brands or certain styles. I was able to buy the uniforms on sale each year, and the prices were reasonable.

We weren't required to buy certain shirts from certain stores. The uniform was navy pants, shorts, or skirts of any style (as long as they were a certain length) and a red, white, or hunter green shirt. The kids could wear any shoes, so there was no need for special footwear.

I think overall it was just easier to not have to put much thought into what she was wearing. She always looked nice, as did all of the children. They still had their unique personalities shine through in their hairstyles and shoes.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
It made for much easier mornings and much less pressure to wear certain brands or certain styles. I was able to buy the uniforms on sale each year, and the prices were reasonable.

We weren't required to buy certain shirts from certain stores. The uniform was navy pants, shorts, or skirts of any style (as long as they were a certain length) and a red, white, or hunter green shirt. The kids could wear any shoes, so there was no need for special footwear.

I think overall it was just easier to not have to put much thought into what she was wearing. She always looked nice, as did all of the children. They still had their unique personalities shine through in their hairstyles and shoes.
i can understand that i guess the pressure was never a concern for me because my son never cared where his clothes came from we dont have to buy from a specific store either so we just get the collared shirts whenever i see them on sale my neighbors kids have to get all their clothes from lands end though because they want to make sure all the kids have the exact same stuff my only problem is that they require the kids to wear all white shoes so i have to replace them more often than i would like

Old 05-25-2009, 01:42 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
i can understand that i guess the pressure was never a concern for me because my son never cared where his clothes came from we dont have to buy from a specific store either so we just get the collared shirts whenever i see them on sale my neighbors kids have to get all their clothes from lands end though because they want to make sure all the kids have the exact same stuff my only problem is that they require the kids to wear all white shoes so i have to replace them more often than i would like
I wouldn't like the white shoes either!

My daughter does not care where her clothes come from. (usually) However, there are some very unkind kids out there that judge others based on what they wear. It is sad, but true.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't like the white shoes either!

My daughter does not care where her clothes come from. (usually) However, there are some very unkind kids out there that judge others based on what they wear. It is sad, but true.
yeah my son ran into some of those back at his old school because everyone was wearing academics i dont like them because they look cheap and tacky i got a call one day because my son had gotten into a fight because after someone teased him he responded with i guess thats why your mom doesnt check your homework shes too busy buying your clothes kids can be brutal even now though with the uniforms they still have a couple of kids that are constantly bullied and i never got that how can you make fun of someone when they look exactly like you

Old 05-25-2009, 08:19 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,802 times
I prefer school uniforms. They do not create additional laundry. In fact, I felt that they were easier to launder.

The uniforms were as follows:
* Navy or Khaki pants, shorts or skirts
* Closed toe & Closed heel shoes
* Navy, white, light blue, or red polo shirt
OR
* School t-shirt

Our school had a great program for families to bring in their outgrown uniforms. Families could come in and choose items for $1 each. Money went to the PTA or something. Also, families could get swap uniforms for free if they needed to.

It was great! The kids never worried about what other people were wearing because everyone was basically wearing the same thing.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
I prefer school uniforms. They do not create additional laundry. In fact, I felt that they were easier to launder.

The uniforms were as follows:
* Navy or Khaki pants, shorts or skirts
* Closed toe & Closed heel shoes
* Navy, white, light blue, or red polo shirt
OR
* School t-shirt

Our school had a great program for families to bring in their outgrown uniforms. Families could come in and choose items for $1 each. Money went to the PTA or something. Also, families could get swap uniforms for free if they needed to.

It was great! The kids never worried about what other people were wearing because everyone was basically wearing the same thing.
I love that uniform.

I'd even be happy with jeans with no holes (since wranglers are $13 at walmart), but that is a nice, simple uniform code that is flexible yet does not provide so many options that the parent has to consult it every time they go shopping or set out clothing.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:59 PM

433 posts, read 1,769,744 times
What's the big deal? I wore a uniform my whole school career. I went to private schools so it was normal and I loved it. I never had to worry about what I looked like and if I had the "right" clothes. In my kids' previous school (public) the kids wore uniforms. For boys-Navy or white polo style shirt and Khaki or navy pants. Same for girls but they could wear skirts, capris, jumpers.

It just wasn't a big deal and it was totally an non issue. I don't see what the big deal is. Am I missing something?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:09 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,802 times
Well back to the OP, though. For a SENIOR in the school system that is looking to institute uniforms... I would say that they should be allowed the choice to dress conservatively -- according to the dress code they had in place during the previous year -- or to wear uniforms. Truly that should be acceptable to all involved.

There are many parents that don't like uniforms for whatever reason. They do save time, money and effort in the long run. It takes a few years for people to 'buy in' and if the school district can hang in there and ENFORCE the policy, it will be worth the effort.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:12 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,178 times
I'm totally against the uniform policy. If it was a policy across the board, being mandated at every school, public and private than I wouldn't have an issue. However, the problem exists only when selected by some public schools. Because it's public, you don't have to follow and they can't even enforce it. If as a parent, I chose private than I know all the rules. When you choose public the rules don't exists. Why are schools so fast to assimilate children? Are these the schools that are experiencing problems and they see uniforms as a way to bridge the problems? This won't work because children, even with uniforms are able to tell the children who are better off then themselves. They have better bookbags, jewelry, shoes, sneakers, coats and such.

My daughter went to school in Manhattan and never wore a uniform. Most of my family and friends children in Brooklyn wore a uniform. It was based soley on economics. I would boycott the policy and create so many infractions. I wish I had a copy of my paper from my college days, when I wrote on this subject for sociology, I compared the uniform policy to prison. If we keep allowing our children to be imprisoned in the minds, how will they ever learn to succeed. Education should not come at a cost of what a student wears to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting