Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

Oh my , It was only last week, same thread with one exception, it was your parents that were cold unloving, there seems to be a theme here to all your threads. Honestly, why would you continue to insult everyones intelligence. A good hobby works wonders, give it a go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 11:35 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
My father has never been one to say things like "I love you" very often, plus while I was growing up he was away on business for weeks at a time a lot, so it's not something I heard from him a lot. But he'd always try to make it clear that he loved my siblings and I and would always encourage us and would gladly help us with things like school work or learning a new trade (skiing, golf, card games, computer games, odd jobs around the house, how to use every tool in his tool box properly, ect). Plus, every now and then he'd get very drunk and tell us repeatedly (broken-record like) how much he loved us all.
So I don't think that ever effected me negatively and I think our awkwardness towards each other is completely unrelated.

My mother on the other hand tells me now and then that she loves me, and always has, and then she'll go in for a big hug and all that stuff. Growing up though she never really expressed it well, was always a little cold and distant. Especially as a teenager, but sometimes when I was a kid too, I'd often wonder if she really meant it when she said she loved me.
I think my mother's slight coldness and distance has effected me negatively, even though she always said told us she loves us.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
My parents love me and said they love me numerous times. I am so awesome. I am so awesome.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I feel so sorry for you. It must be tough to live like that. So very tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
More stories from my crazy extended family. My Aunt and Uncle are cold people who have six kids. None of the kids have had any luck in the world of love. Or do they have any friends. Why? Their parents did not say they loved them. Cause and effect?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:20 PM

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times
I tried very hard to remember the last time my parents said I love you to me or my sibling but can't.. But I can easliy think of a million little ways they should us love I guess some people it hard to show that emotion... I must say that I do tell my kids a hundrend times a day I love them - Maybe i did develop a complex and never noticed it... LOL - Seriously Me and my siblilng are well adjusted fun loving people who are either married with children or in a serious relationship... I think it more of the whole picture than three words.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Yes, quite a lot of people's parents never said they loved me.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:40 AM

390 posts, read 905,070 times
Like the OP, my mother said 'I love you' only once. It was on her death bed, and I said it first. I think it does damage the child and then adult when a parent never says that. But, I had to get out of my pity party and suck it up, because I can't change the way things were.
But, I make sure that I tell my daughter that I love her every day, some times several times a day. I don't want her to ever feel that emptiness that I felt growing up.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:54 AM

219 posts, read 736,438 times
My parents always told each other I love you, and told all 18 of their
Kids they loved us, today my parents are in their 80 and when I get
Off the phone with either of them we always say I love you.
Even with all the love that we have shared in our home we still have a
Few kids that have gone down the wrong road, I think it’s a choice you
Make when you’re growing up to do the right thing or mess up your life.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:00 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwana_b View Post
Like the OP, my mother said 'I love you' only once. It was on her death bed, and I said it first. I think it does damage the child and then adult when a parent never says that. But, I had to get out of my pity party and suck it up, because I can't change the way things were.
But, I make sure that I tell my daughter that I love her every day, some times several times a day. I don't want her to ever feel that emptiness that I felt growing up.

been there

Old 05-16-2009, 05:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
More stories from my crazy extended family. My Aunt and Uncle are cold people who have six kids. None of the kids have had any luck in the world of love. Or do they have any friends. Why? Their parents did not say they loved them. Cause and effect?
I don't think it's as simple as that. Not really. My parents never told any of us kids that they loved us, but both my sisters are happily married with families. I'm the odd man out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting