Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:33 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

An Omaha couple is allowing their 8-year-old son to openly live life as a girl. KETV reports.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 12:36 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
To each, her own; however, I fail to see why this is news.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,230 times
This is beautiful! I'm so happy to see parents being supportive. This obviously isn't just "some stage" for this little girl, this is how she was born and IS!

Kudos to the mommy and daddy. The fact that this child is getting the much needed support so early on is not only a great big step in the right direction but monumental to the girl's mental and emotional health!

And this is very much "news." I'd rather see this than the stories on annoying actors or the final score

Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
I agree with you, but I think it should be kept private. I understand that the interview may help other families who are struggling with this issue, but I think the child's privacy is of utmost importance. How much of a new start can she have with her mother's face plastered all over the media?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I agree with you, but I think it should be kept private. I understand that the interview may help other families who are struggling with this issue, but I think the child's privacy is of utmost importance. How much of a new start can she have with her mother's face plastered all over the media?

I agree. But I also can see at in another light. I see a mother who is sharing this story in hopes of opening minds. I believe she asked people to just "not be mean." Good message

Old 05-18-2009, 03:22 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
What a monumental mistake this parent is making. A LOT of kids wish they were the opposite sex for one reason or another. Girls can be fierce tomboys growing up, and wonderful, feminine ladies going into adulthood. Boys can show a feminine side all through childhood, then be strong, virile men in adulthood. It's normal.

Kids who are allowed to actually become the opposite sex confuses them and sets them up for huge psychological problems in late teen, early adult years.

A parent should never, ever take a child's wish to be someone else seriously until that child reaches late teens. What a mess that mother is making of her son's life.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
I don't pretend to understand the psychology of this parent or her child, but this is simply wrong. This is not support, this is enabling, this is confusion, this is instability and this is co-dependency. There is so much illness happening here. An 8 year old can be very sophisticated and complex, but I can't see this as a willful election on the child's part, at least not one that the child fully understands.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
To EXPECT CHILDREN to comprehend certain issues LIKE AN ADULT is completely & absolutely wrong.

There is a level of tolerance & compassion for children. They should & do understand differences & challenges, but this is quite extreme.

Plastering this all over CNN does nothing for this child.

I am sure the mom is dealing with issues none of us can comprehend, but not sure why she needs to do tv interviews.

It only makes the child stand out that much more now.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:52 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,259 times
This is such a tough situation, and also wish they had been able to keep it private. I've seen some of these people on tv before, never comfortable with the sex they were born as...so sad...

Old 05-18-2009, 05:37 PM

This parent is doing nothing but good for this child by accepting HER NOW as a child. I know two transgender people and see what they have gone through. They knew from the time they were a child. This girl/boy was drawing self portraits of herself as the opposite sex as a young child. This is not a confused child rather a very confident child who knows what she feels and is and people should not speak of things they know nothing about.

I hope this thread gets shut down if the ignorant gay/transgender bashing starts/continues. No one has any right to say this child does not know. It is a fact that these people grow up to be adults with many psychological difficulties because others including their parents told them that what they were feeling was not real. This is not LEARNED.

I did think about it though and changed my mind. The mother should have covered HER face and not just the kid's. But I'm sure she wasn't trying to hurt her kid.

Some of you who judge have pushed the "judge" words onto other's. Watch it. This is a tender situation and it is unfair and crude as there is a child involved. A child who needs nothing but support and nurturing, even if it is from a thread far away in which she probably will not see. But I do believe that a tree makes a sound even if no one is near by to hear it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting