Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:33 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
My daughters school is definetly NOT responsive to sick kids. This has been an ongoing problem.
I am astonished when I hear some of these stories.

If you have to drive 30 minutes then you have to drive 30 minutes, at least you get there.

I am probably going to have to take Diane back to the doctor tomorrow because she had a fever when I brought her home and she feel straight to sleep when we got home. Thats just not her.
I hope she feels better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 02:39 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I hope she feels better.
Thank you for your kind words. My daughter is like me, when we get tired, we get really tired and things can go all wrong. Her fever might have nothing to do with her ear, we will wait and see. I will probably take her in to the doctor tomorrow anyway just to be safe.

I had repeated ear aches, burst ear drums etc.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
In this district, and others I have lived in (Heck, even when I was in school.) it is a requirement that an emergency card be filled out. On that card, it is required to fill information for an alternate phone that can be called in the event that a child needs to be picked up for any reason.

What is the use of these if the school doesn't refer to them and make use of those emergency numbers?

My daughter broke her arm on the playground at lunchtime when she was in fourth grade, and the nurse didn't call me until 5 minutes before the bus dropped her off at home. My daughter had complained of pain all afternoon and all they would do was give her ice. They didn't allow her to call me to pick her up. She had to sit in the classroom all afternoon.

Your poor baby. I really feel for a kid who is sick and needing a parent but stuck at school.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:59 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
Earlier in the year my daughter got contacts. The first time I bought solutions I bought the name brand ones (I had a coupon) but the next time I bought off-brand at Wal-Mart like I have always used for myself. She went to school and put her eye drops in and had bright red streaks down her cheeks where the drops had ran out. The school called me and asked me if I wanted to come pick her up. I told her to go wash her face, put on her glasses, remove contacts, and then call me in an hour. Since we only have 1 car it is really hard to get there and pick her up. I can do it but...it takes a bit. When she washed her face the marks where she was reacting went away thank GOD.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,043 times
Oh, this is one of my pet peeves....As a teacher I could tell you so many stories of parents who would not pick up their sick child. I have some who will not answer the phone, cell or home, if they see on caller I.D. that the school is calling. Some parent's know their kids are running a fever so they give them tylenol and hope they make it all day. I had a child throw up this morning as soon as he got off the bus and I couldn't get a parent to pick him up until after 12pm. (Mom was shopping and claimed she didn't get the call.) In the meantime...the child is sitting in the office throwing up in a trash can.

I know all to well what it's like to be a working parent. My husband also has a job and has to work. When our kids get sick we take turns staying home. My rule is if you are throwing up or running a fever...no school. If it is anything else...you go.
Some kids will do anything to stay home and some will do anything to get back there once they are at school. You learn pretty quick in the school year which ones are really sick and need to go home VS the ones who will whine about every little tummy ache to spend the day with Mom. Most of the time if a teacher calls, you need to go get the kid.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
I don't care if the parents are at work, they need to take their sick children home. Not only for your child but for the sake of the rest of the children in the school.
The schools I worked in..the children stayed in the nurses office or an admin office to be observed. They were never returned back to the classroom if indeed they were truly ill.
Sometimes the children would be there until the end of the school day (which was sad to see; for both child & parent) but they were never back in the classroom. The nurse or principal/vp took care of them for the remainder of the day. I would send down their bags/coat & some reading material.

With budget cuts everywhere, some schools don't even have a nurse every day or even weekly & the principal or VP (if the VP hasn't been cut yet) are responsible for temps & triage.....

Old 05-18-2009, 04:10 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
They always made us fill out a 'back-up' call list. We have to provide 3 names of people we trust to pick up our kids if we are not able too...

Do they not do that there?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
I guess some people use school as a place to park their kids while they focus on things more important.

In my view, we should promote the value of motherhood so moms will feel that it is not only OK to be a stay at home mom but that it is a fantastic thing to do. A thing valued by society.

I think at the moment, the pressure is on moms to get a job and stick their kids in childcare, school etc. So they get swept up in it and when the school starts to call, maybe they say subconciously to themselves, well crikey, you deal with it, I am busy working.

Now of course many moms are stuck in a low paying job where if they take time off, when they get back, no job.

In my experience, schools do a great job. They care for the kids. They have sick bay beds so the kids can rest while parent arrives.

All this talk about calling cps or the police, I think is just silly. cps should be focussing on real situations of abuse. If they are distracted by a parent who is not coping, leaving their kid in a school sick bay for a day, then some real deadbeat parent is going to not get the attention that they really need. And the cops, well I would rather they are out catching real criminals and making crime TV programs. Would watch..... On Real Cops Tonight Officer Smith rescues sick child from school and throws parent in slammer...... Wow gripping TV.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:13 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The schools I worked in..the children stayed in the nurses office or an admin office to be observed. They were never returned back to the classroom if indeed they were truly ill.
Sometimes the children would be there until the end of the school day (which was sad to see; for both child & parent) but they were never back in the classroom. The nurse or principal/vp took care of them for the remainder of the day. I would send down their bags/coat & some reading material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
In my experience, schools do a great job. They care for the kids. They have sick bay beds so the kids can rest while parent arrives.

This is what happened to my son about 2 months ago. He wasn't throwing up but he had a runny nose and the mucus was dark green. The nurse called me and let me know he was in her office - I was about 45 minutes away and I didn't know if I could leave work right that second but if she called either his grandma or his dad they could probably get there before I did. She told me he was sleeping and he could just stay in the office until I got there. I'd never heard that before, when he was in daycare it was come right now no matter what's going on - come right now!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:22 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Quote:
I am thinking about this because around noon I got a call that my daughter was having some problems (AGAIN) with her ear. When I got there she felt as if she had a fever and she had pain in her ear. Well she has had to ear problems, infection and a punctured ear drum just this year.

It NEVER occured to me to leave her in school.

Diane tells me that she was affraid I would not come and get her and I asked her why. She told me that this girl in her class was throwing up, went to the nurses office and Nurse Stephanie called her parents. They said they couldn't come after her, both parents. They're only advice was to call her grandparents and see what they could do.

As a parent I was horrified by this disinterest in your childs well being AND as a parent of a child in the same classroom, I think the school should force the parents to remove a child who is this sick from the classroom for fear of passing on something to the other children.

I don't care if the parents are at work, they need to take their sick children home. Not only for your child but for the sake of the rest of the children in the school.
I can't tell you how many times a student has told me that their parents knew they were sick and sent them to school anyway because they had to work. They proceed to get sick at school, I send them to the nurse who confirms that they are sick, and then the parents are called. You'd be surprised at how many times sick kids stay at school all day because no one will come to get them. It's sad, but it's a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting