Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:11 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I think some of the respondents must have missed the first line of the OP, which was:

"My son chose to live with his grandparents when he was fifteen."

Ooh, the poor wittle baby! Thank god he's got grandparents to love and care for him! Some people don't deserve to have children! Ooh, you bad, bad, heartless man!

Look, I'll be damned if I'll pay for my over-18 son to live, by choice, with someone else.
If they want him, let them pay his way.
If he wants them, let him pay his own way.

If he wants my support beyond the age of 18, he'll "choose" to move home, just like he "chose" to move away a couple of years ago.

In my experience, it's a lot cheaper to support your kid under your own roof than under somebody else's. At least if they live with you, it's only one roof you're having to pay for.
So basically, non-custodial parents shouldn't have to support their kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
More freedom, probably.
Why else do teenage boys choose to do anything?
I'm gonna guess it's not because he wanted more hugs, more discipline, or more home-baked cookies.

Not to sound cynical, but, you know... I am the parent of a teenager.
Also, I used to be one.
I don't think we can fairly assume all teenage boys make all the choices they do for "freedom" or for any one singular motive. It's just not as simple as that. And yes, perhaps the young man in question DID move because he wanted more hugs, more love, more attention, more respect. There could be any number of reasons and until the OP defines what those reasons are/were, we're all just guessing. And placing our own pasts and experiences in the mix.

You're the parent of a teen, Jane. So am I. From what I've seen of some of your other posts, your experiences with parenting, particularly parenting your teen, have been very different from mine. That may partially explain why we're looking at this same set of information in such vastly different ways. Each of our own circumstances has colored our views.

By the way, I'm a former teen, too .

Old 05-28-2009, 11:15 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeagle View Post
My son chose to live with his grandparents when he was 15 yrs old. At this time his grandparents and I had a verbal agreement on a set amount I would pay them each month for his care. He is now about to turn 18 yrs old. They told me that they wanted me to pay until he is 19yrs old or out of high school. I had only planned on paying until his 18th birthday. My question is am I leagally obligated to pay until he is out of high school? I have full legal custody and recieve no child support payments from his mother. Their is no court order requiring me to make payments to his grandparents.
Too many men shoot their load of cream without any realization of what may eventually be expected of them. if you have no parental skills or instincts, get a vasectomy!!!!!! And in the case of women, get a tubal ligation!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Reading thread topics like this one makes me hate people.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:36 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,920 times
Maybe the OP should try spending some quality time with his son and the grandparents will call it even?

Money money money. What about time time time? Love love love?

Anyone can give dole out the cash. Only people capable of love can give it.

Sad.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:35 PM

167 posts, read 451,676 times
I can understand why he hasn't reposted.
While I wasn't very impressed with the tone or content of the original post either, we don't know the whole story.

(If it were my kid, I'd be offsetting the cost for the grandparents until he graduates high school. it could also be that he wont graduate until he is 19)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting