Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,900 times

Advertisements

My son chose to live with his grandparents when he was 15 yrs old. At this time his grandparents and I had a verbal agreement on a set amount I would pay them each month for his care. He is now about to turn 18 yrs old. They told me that they wanted me to pay until he is 19yrs old or out of high school. I had only planned on paying until his 18th birthday. My question is am I leagally obligated to pay until he is out of high school? I have full legal custody and recieve no child support payments from his mother. Their is no court order requiring me to make payments to his grandparents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:26 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Parents who are court ordered to pay child support, pay through the end of high school even though the kids may already be 18. Based on that, I would say pay through high school.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,282 times
I'm not a lawyer, so I can't give legal advice. I am, however, a parent, and I must say your post has made me very sad. I'm just imagining what it must be like for your son to realize that, to you, he's just another financial obligation, like a car payment or a cable bill. Perhaps this is not the image you intended to present (I hope not) but that's how the post sounds to me.

And you were considered the better choice when it came to awarding custody...

Old 05-22-2009, 03:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I would pay as long as he is in school and living at their house. If he moves out after high school graduation, no, I would not pay, but if he is going to college and living there, yes, I would continue to pay. On top of which, if he is 18 is he not graduating in a few weeks anyway?

Old 05-22-2009, 04:15 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
I don't know all the details of your relationship with this young man or what he or you are like personally. So I can't and won't judge why'd you'd wash your hands of your kid. Everyone's got reasons and it isn't always "they are evil parents". I know, but anyway....

To answer: Whats a few bucks. He'll graduate next month right? Big deal. Just make another payment or two and your legal obligation is done.

I can relate to this topic, and understand how people not in your shoes (so to speak) could easily draw conclusions and make judgements on you and feel sorry for this kid and make all these assumptions without being educated on the entire story. Thats all I gotta say. Good luck, man.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I'd pay until he graduates. He IS your son and your responsiability (not your parents).

Old 05-22-2009, 11:15 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
I agree he is YOUR responsibility and therefore you should help pay for him until he graduates and then he can likely get a job of his own to start supporting himself.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
I'm not a lawyer, so I can't give legal advice. I am, however, a parent, and I must say your post has made me very sad. I'm just imagining what it must be like for your son to realize that, to you, he's just another financial obligation, like a car payment or a cable bill. Perhaps this is not the image you intended to present (I hope not) but that's how the post sounds to me.

And you were considered the better choice when it came to awarding custody...
Thank goodness the poor boy had grandparents to love and care for him!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:14 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Sad when parents want to know the legality or have a court order before doing the right thing. You pay until he graduates from high school...that's the MINIMUM you should be considering.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:21 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeagle View Post
My son chose to live with his grandparents when he was 15 yrs old. At this time his grandparents and I had a verbal agreement on a set amount I would pay them each month for his care. He is now about to turn 18 yrs old. They told me that they wanted me to pay until he is 19yrs old or out of high school. I had only planned on paying until his 18th birthday. My question is am I leagally obligated to pay until he is out of high school? I have full legal custody and recieve no child support payments from his mother. Their is no court order requiring me to make payments to his grandparents.
He is your child. It is sad that all you care about is how much money you can save once he is of age. Legally, you are not required to pay anything, but he is your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting