Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 PM

467 posts, read 983,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
DS (19) Is studying carpentry, but would also like to use his art, maybe by doing tattooing.

DD (17) Law enforcement. She would like the Sheriff's Department, or the FBI or OSBI (Oklahoma's FBI counterpart), or US Marshall service. She also toyed with the idea of being a storm chaser, but I don't think she could handle all those heavy duty science classes.

BTW, this IS a fun thread.
Policework..yikes..has she seen CSI? I don't think I could do that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Daughter, 10 wants to be a teacher or a veterinarian.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
My 7 year old son wants to be a garbage man. He's wanted this since he was 2 years old.

My 5 year old wants to be a vet that helps all animals.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:03 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I misread jturr's thread at first (What do you want your kids to be ... ) and thought I'd start this one. How old are your kids and what do they want to be when they grow up?

13-year-old girl: an actress or famous on YouTube for her animated cartoons

11-year-old girl: a teacher

5-year-old boy: a ninja or "a good guy Storm Trooper"
10 1/2 y/o girl: a hairdresser

8 y/o girl: zookeeper, an icecream truck driver, and a mountain climber

4 1/2 y/o boy: Sonic the hedgehog

2 y/o boy: He just wants to still be able to drink boobie milk.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:27 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,301 times
15yo boy wants to be a pilot in the air force

11yo boy wants to be an activities director on a cruise ship

Old 06-02-2009, 05:43 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
16 dd--CSI

12 dd--Scientist/Geologist. She loves rocks.

We are all into collecting rocks and things like that. For several years my oldest had a very extensive collection of different rocks and mineral samples catagorized and labled. It was pretty cool.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:58 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
When my daughter was about 3 she said that she wanted to be a tree when she grew up, I thought that was cute. She also said she wanted to be a mermaid. Love it. Kids are so innocent. I wish life could be that easy and carefree. It takes a dose of the real world to break their spirit, and to harden them.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
When my daughter was about 3 she said that she wanted to be a tree when she grew up, I thought that was cute. She also said she wanted to be a mermaid. Love it. Kids are so innocent. I wish life could be that easy and carefree. It takes a dose of the real world to break their spirit, and to harden them.
I used to dread the day that innocence would go away. I still sort of do, but TRUST me as the child gets older, it isn't cute anymore if they are still doing it. In fact it awkward and a bit of a concern if you feel they aren't kidding or the least bit serious.

After 2nd grade the last vestiges of true innocence seem to vanish.

The day they start school a huge portion of those toddler day innocence is washed away. I was very conflicted then. I missed my little tyke.

I felt and knew he was going to be phasing out of things soon and those would be hard times. Now he's well into Elementary and most of his peers have advanced and matured beyond 6 yr old stuff. Mine is still stuck in another world and not always in touch with reality. Its embarrassing sometimes to see him gravitate towards baby and Kindergarten level toys and books and still play with some ancient toy that he shouldn't really have interest in at this point (he's 10 now)

I still miss that little kid, but he needs to grow up and we're kinda having to force/guide him to it. Some things were hard to say goodbye to, like kid's shows and toys I'd just kinda taken for granted, but we needed to let go and get him more age-approriate. Its just not cute at some point. A 6-yr old should be into 6-yr old things, but a 10 yr old....no. After about 8 yrs old I figured he'd get tired of doing the little kid and baby stuff. Oh boy was I wrong. I had to remove that stuff and store it so he wouldn't see it and be forced to to play with more mature things. He's about 2 yrs behind in his development.

Sorry for the rant.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:51 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
I used to dread the day that innocence would go away. I still sort of do, but TRUST me as the child gets older, it isn't cute anymore if they are still doing it. In fact it awkward and a bit of a concern if you feel they aren't kidding or the least bit serious.

After 2nd grade the last vestiges of true innocence seem to vanish.

The day they start school a huge portion of those toddler day innocence is washed away. I was very conflicted then. I missed my little tyke.

I felt and knew he was going to be phasing out of things soon and those would be hard times. Now he's well into Elementary and most of his peers have advanced and matured beyond 6 yr old stuff. Mine is still stuck in another world and not always in touch with reality. Its embarrassing sometimes to see him gravitate towards baby and Kindergarten level toys and books and still play with some ancient toy that he shouldn't really have interest in at this point (he's 10 now)

I still miss that little kid, but he needs to grow up and we're kinda having to force/guide him to it. Some things were hard to say goodbye to, like kid's shows and toys I'd just kinda taken for granted, but we needed to let go and get him more age-approriate. Its just not cute at some point. A 6-yr old should be into 6-yr old things, but a 10 yr old....no. After about 8 yrs old I figured he'd get tired of doing the little kid and baby stuff. Oh boy was I wrong. I had to remove that stuff and store it so he wouldn't see it and be forced to to play with more mature things. He's about 2 yrs behind in his development.

Sorry for the rant.
I can imagine your frustration. Does your child have friends his own age? Is he 2 years behind because of some sort of developmental delay, or is it just his personality? I know, as parents we desparately want our kids to fit in and blend, and when it doesn't happen the way we wish it would, it can be maddening. Hang in there.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I can imagine your frustration. Does your child have friends his own age? Is he 2 years behind because of some sort of developmental delay, or is it just his personality? I know, as parents we desparately want our kids to fit in and blend, and when it doesn't happen the way we wish it would, it can be maddening. Hang in there.
Yeah, he's got behavior issues due to PDD-NOS (like Aspergers), extreme Anxiety and Anger Mgt. Its not a fun childhood for him, as such he's digressed in his mind to a happier time before all the problems really started getting bad, which is 2nd grade. Plus lack of peer interaction makes it so he really isn't up-to-speed on the latest stuff. We try tho. He's on a home school program with the school, for the safety of the staff and kids there.

He doesn't interact with peers well at all and honestly they probably aren't safe around him as he's likely to go off and get violent if someone disagrees or judges him. So no friends, just me and mom...sigh. He is going to therapy, its just gonna take awhile. Hopefully sooner than later.

We do try to get him out and do stuff. Its just a bit of a trial at times Plus with his being out-of-touch with reality you wonder sometimes if he even noticed we went anywhere and saw all the cool stuff. He gets locked onto a topic (some cartoon or something) and can't get his mind out of that and just talks allll day about it. Mosta the time no one has a clue what he's on about or stops caring about 10 minutes into the conversation. Its sad and allyou can really do is roll your eyes inwardly and say "yeah", "cool", and "uh-huh" all day long and attempt to change topics and expose him to other things during this 15 hour ramble.

Thanks

Last edited by MrMom2; 06-03-2009 at 05:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting