Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Most of us could just give our generation by which phase of Michael Jackson you remember:

The youngest member of the Jackson 5
Off the Wall/Thriller
We Are the World
way off the deep end creepy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My brother and I LOVED Jiffy Pop!!!

Gen X but I had to say.... My Girl Scouts (including my daughter) had never had Jiffy Pop and another troop made us SWAPS that were "Jiffy Pops". I said OH LOOK!! Jiffy Pop..and they just looked at me blank. Geez all the 10 years olds I know have only ever had microwave popcorn. So one afternoon they came to my house for Movies and Popcorn. And we made Jiffy Pop. They were SO SO SO Impressed. They had no idea there was another way to make popcorn.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Oh, yes. I remember the roach clip rage, too. Boy, we were something, weren't we? I was recently horrified to read somewhere that harem pants were back, as if the society really needs the return of the seven-day ______! Has the fashion world lost its collective mind?

Quote:
Gen X but I had to say.... My Girl Scouts (including my daughter) had never had Jiffy Pop and another troop made us SWAPS that were "Jiffy Pops". I said OH LOOK!! Jiffy Pop..and they just looked at me blank. Geez all the 10 years olds I know have only ever had microwave popcorn. So one afternoon they came to my house for Movies and Popcorn. And we made Jiffy Pop. They were SO SO SO Impressed. They had no idea there was another way to make popcorn.
We just use the stockpot. My son loves to lift the pot lid and watch the popcorn fly out onto the floor. We're very retro around here. In addition to no TV and no second car, our house also lacks a microwave. I told you we're throw-backs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Most of us could just give our generation by which phase of Michael Jackson you remember:

Off the Wall/Thriller
We Are the World
That's hilarious, and so, so true. I love it!

I'm cackling madly here in front of the computer while my husband calmly reads a book in the corner. I think he thinks I've lost it.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 06-03-2009 at 10:33 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
We just use the stockpot. My son loves to lift the pot lid and watch the popcorn fly out onto the floor. We're very retro around here. In addition to no TV and no second car, our house also lacks a microwave. I told you we're throw-backs.

So true. I love it!

I'm cackling madly here in front of the computer while my husband calmly reads a book in the corner. I think he thinks I've lost it.
Mine does to don't feel bad... so do the kids hahahaha. No news there.
I generally use the stock pot also when I make popcorn NOW at home...after this enlightenment. MY HUSBAND had never had anything but microwave popcorn either... I was shocked about that one.

We have only one car (a van) and we have 2 TV's with only 1 (GASP) attached to the DirectTV. I do have a microwave but I never learned to cook in it. Since I am a Gen X we didn't even have a microwave till after I graduated from HS. I use it for heating coffee, hot water for tea, and melting butter for popcorn
We grew up outside with very little inside type entertainment. I had a few dolls and my brother had some stuff inside but mostly it was "Go out and have fun, come home for dinner" type thing. We watched cartoons on Sat morning, Ran home from the school bus to watch reruns of Sha Na Na (I was in loveeeeeee with Johnny), Gilligan's Island, Eight is Enough. My mother started to Jr. College when my brother started to school and by 82 she had her RN and we turned into LatchKeys. Of course, I graduated in 85 so it wasn't to bad. As long as we got on the bus we got home..
I remember Challenger, we were in American History watching it live on TV when it exploded. Our teacher was the President of Oklahoma Teacher's Union and she applied to the program. It totally freaked us out. She was way way ahead of her time (In 83 she explained in detail why Mammy's were called such in World History class...and got away with it). She told us stuff that most adults didn't seem to say..if that makes sense. When she passes away it her funeral will probably be the hugest McIntosh County, Oklahoma has ever had.
I had 8 track tapes.. I had the soundtrack to Star Wars for ages before I saw the movie. Banana Clips, rolled up jeans, Queen!!!!, MJ, Scott Baio and Happy Days, Lavern and Sherly, Wonder Woman (Showed to my Girl Scouts they loved her), 6 Million Dollar Man, Paradise Island, Love Boat.. omg.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
(I meant feathered roach clips, but banana clips were silly, too...)

Remember the hair comb pulling back one side...only one side...not both.
Wow, I forgot about the feathered roach clips!! I think I sported one of those on a few occasions! I think I did the "one side comb" thing, too!!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:13 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
I had 8 track tapes.. I had the soundtrack to Star Wars for ages before I saw the movie. Banana Clips, rolled up jeans, Queen!!!!, MJ, Scott Baio and Happy Days, Lavern and Sherly, Wonder Woman (Showed to my Girl Scouts they loved her), 6 Million Dollar Man, Paradise Island, Love Boat.. omg.
You forgot The Bionic Woman and Donny & Marie! I remeber my 8 track tapes. For Christmas one year my parents bought me this console stereo that had different colored flashing disco lights in it - - - Everyone wanted to hang out in my room!!

I can't imagine what my kids will be telling their kids one day!!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:38 PM

356 posts, read 917,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
GenX-er. My Baby Boomer dad was drafted and went to basic while my Baby Boomer mom was pg, then left for Vietnam right after I was born.

Both my mom and dad were late 40s babies to Dads who served in WW2.
Wow - this is almost exactly my background, expect my dad served stateside. Younger brother was born 17 months later, while my dad was still serving, so the Army would pay for the hospital bill.

GenX - 1970 (although I kind of prefer "child of the 80s" to GenX)

Old 06-04-2009, 03:17 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Me: Gen X was much smaller, occurring between 1965-1974, although some demographers extend this generation to those born through 1981. They are the latch-key kids, who remember the end of the cold war, the Challenger explosion, and the time before MTV (barely). They are also notable for not having a major war during their young adulthood and therefore low rates of military service.

Married a baby boomer

Old 06-04-2009, 03:53 PM

I remember graduating from HS in 1985 and going to college to the dorm. They had this huge big screen TV (I thought was a movie screen never seen a big screen till then hahahaha) and CABLE. My parents STILL can't get cable where they live..so it was a really big thing then. I remember the VERY FIRST music video I ever saw was Robert Palmer, Addicted To Love. I was just shocked they could find that many girls that all looked alike... now how much of a hick is that????? I was sheltered what can I say. I discovered alcohol, cigarettes, pot, and sex all in the first week of summer school right after graduation. It was one rough week.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:26 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Off the Wall/Thriller
We Are the World
Off the Wall/Thriller is how I remember him, but didn't they have a Saturday morning cartoon with the Jackson 5? I always watched Looney Toons, but my neighbors watched things like that and Fat Albert (the youngest was my age and had 3 older brothers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting