Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 01:07 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I have an idea; why don't the parents of the screaming, tantruming kids stay at home and shop on the internet. That way, the paying customers (Yes, those of us who have the money are who have the 'right' to be in the store) are happy, the screaming, tantruming kids are happy and the mothers are happy. Everybody wins.

By the way, kids in stores alone are frowned upon by management. So it is actually the adults who have the 'right'. The kids are only there because they are with an adult.
oh brother......

Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
oh brother......
Can everyone FINALLY see that all that poster tries to do is start fights???

Yea, the kids are "frowned upon by the management."

ahhahahhahhhahahaha

Why anyone would bother to respond or consider those posts boggles me.

I can't wait until I see/hear a kid throwing a horrific tantrum. I am going to offer my assistance NO MATTER WHAT!

Also, I'm off to Jewel later this afternoon. I am going to ask management what they would do in this situation. Although most of us sensible people probably already know the answer

Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
This post reminds me of something I experienced years ago.

At the time, my oldest was 2 1/2 and my youngest was four months. We had just moved to Vermont and the weather station was predicting an ice storm so I was anxious to pick up some groceries and diapers at the supermarket in case we couldn't get out the next day.

I made it through the store without any problems. Then, when we were checking out, my oldest dd saw some candy she wanted. When I told her I wasn't buying it she through the worst fit of her life.

She started to howl like a wild animal. The grocery cart had a special shelf under the main basket where you could put large bags of dog food or jumbo packs of paper products. Well, she crawled onto the shelf, laid down and grasped the basket above her so tightly that I couldn't remove her.

So there we are with her screaming and the baby now crying because she was startled. Everyone was looking at us. Older ladies were saying things like, "If that was my kid, I'd beat the daylights out of her."

I was trapped. I was afraid that if I tried to pry my daughter out from under the cart it would tip over, injuring my baby.

Then, a guardian angel came to my rescue. A nice middle-aged lady walked up to me. She said something like, "I can see you're having a rough time. Why don't you let me hold your cart steady so you can pick up your big girl. Then I'll wheel your cart out so you can carry her to your car."

The lady held the cart for the five minutes it took to pry my daughter loose. Then, she packed all of the groceries into the trunk while I struggled to get my daughter into her car seat.

When I turned to thank her she just shrugged and said, "Don't worry about it. I remember how hard it was when my kids were little."

My eyes still tear up whenever I remember this stranger's compassion. She didn't judge me and actually took time away from her errands to help me.
People like that are angels. I love your story.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
This post reminds me of something I experienced years ago.

At the time, my oldest was 2 1/2 and my youngest was four months. We had just moved to Vermont and the weather station was predicting an ice storm so I was anxious to pick up some groceries and diapers at the supermarket in case we couldn't get out the next day.

I made it through the store without any problems. Then, when we were checking out, my oldest dd saw some candy she wanted. When I told her I wasn't buying it she through the worst fit of her life.

She started to howl like a wild animal. The grocery cart had a special shelf under the main basket where you could put large bags of dog food or jumbo packs of paper products. Well, she crawled onto the shelf, laid down and grasped the basket above her so tightly that I couldn't remove her.

So there we are with her screaming and the baby now crying because she was startled. Everyone was looking at us. Older ladies were saying things like, "If that was my kid, I'd beat the daylights out of her."

I was trapped. I was afraid that if I tried to pry my daughter out from under the cart it would tip over, injuring my baby.

Then, a guardian angel came to my rescue. A nice middle-aged lady walked up to me. She said something like, "I can see you're having a rough time. Why don't you let me hold your cart steady so you can pick up your big girl. Then I'll wheel your cart out so you can carry her to your car."

The lady held the cart for the five minutes it took to pry my daughter loose. Then, she packed all of the groceries into the trunk while I struggled to get my daughter into her car seat.

When I turned to thank her she just shrugged and said, "Don't worry about it. I remember how hard it was when my kids were little."

My eyes still tear up whenever I remember this stranger's compassion. She didn't judge me and actually took time away from her errands to help me.
Great story! What a nice lady.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Can everyone FINALLY see that all that poster tries to do is start fights???

Yea, the kids are "frowned upon by the management."

ahhahahhahhhahahaha

Why anyone would bother to respond or consider those posts boggles me.

I can't wait until I see/hear a kid throwing a horrific tantrum. I am going to offer my assistance NO MATTER WHAT!

Also, I'm off to Jewel later this afternoon. I am going to ask management what they would do in this situation. Although most of us sensible people probably already know the answer
After reading through this thread, and being reminded of the horrible day I had with my youngest shopping with a migraine.... I will offer mine as well .....

Old 06-09-2009, 01:19 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
I have an idea; why don't the parents of the screaming, tantruming kids stay at home and shop on the internet. That way, the paying customers (Yes, those of us who have the money are who have the 'right' to be in the store) are happy, the screaming, tantruming kids are happy and the mothers are happy. Everybody wins.

By the way, kids in stores alone are frowned upon by management. So it is actually the adults who have the 'right'. The kids are only there because they are with an adult.

My 3 year old has money. He has $435, In the bank. Many times he is looking to buy a car, hot-wheels, he collects them. And why should I shop online. I am not bothered with screaming kids. you are! I think cranky people like...... should stay at home. The world would be a happier place.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 06-09-2009 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My 3 year old has money. He has $4350, In the bank. Many times he is looking to buy a car, hot-wheels, he collects them. And why should I shop online. I am not bothered with screaming kids. you are! I think cranky people like...... should stay at home. The world would be a happier place.
awesome.... he makes the perfect CUSTOMER

Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
I didn't realize there were so many grouchy people around. Really, a store is a large place with a lot of people and it will be noisy. And yes children are expected to be there and some will be noisier than others.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My 3 year old has money. He has $4350, In the bank. Many times he is looking to buy a car, hot-wheels, he collects them. And why should I shop online. I am not bothered with screaming kids. you are! I think cranky people like...... should stay at home. The world would be a happier place.
Heck your son has more money in the bank than I do. Come to think of it so do my kids. Maybe I should let my kids (those that have money) go do the shopping while I throw a fit. Afterall they have more right to be in the store than I do, being that they are the ones with money.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:

Those of you who think everybody else should just ignore it, consider this: People in the store have their own problems. We go even when we've had a really tough day at work, when we've lost a loved one and we are grieving, when we have someone sick who needs something at home, there are as many situations as there are people. A lot have some really heavy things on their minds and just need to get some things and leave. Some are thinking about how many groceries can they buy and still have enough money to pay bills.

I've had a migraine and had to go to the store. Migraines make a person extremely sound sensitive. Sometimes when I have to pick up groceries, I am under extreme stress with a lot on my mind.
Cry me a river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting