Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:13 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times

Advertisements

they are on year round schedule. not traditional. they are on for 2 months. off. then back for two months or so. then off. so on and so on. i dont dread it. i keep them busy with their usual activities. piano. futbol. camp. cousins. etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:45 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
LOL everything is shorter now that I'm an adult! Time flies. Our school district changed the back to school time until after Labor Day. Thankfully. They were going back the last full week of Aug.

As I said our area has been kicking around the idea for awhile now and I thought it would be a great idea but there is a lot of opposition to it. I'm not sure why.
Most people oppose it because they want time to go on vacation. I don't know of any families who are taking month-long vacations. They mistakenly believe that summer vacation is gone, which is not true. At our school, they not only go year-round, but they have a "track" calender, so there are 3 different school year calendars going on. Our track gets all of June off. Another gets July and the other gets August. All the kids go to school for 2 months, then get a month off. They still get the same amount of time, but for some parents, they really want their kids to get a traditional summer break. I'm not really sure why. Perhaps those whose parents are divorced and one parent gets summer vacation time? Plus, I remember being a kid and chomping at the bit by the time summer was over to get back to school. We only have to fill up 4 weeks and the time flies!

The year round calendar also only applies to elementary schools in our area. The middle and high schools go on a traditional calendar. I think that's okay because junior high is when true "summer camps" take place and I'd like for my kid to enjoy those.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:48 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
Huh, we dont have this problem here. Maybe it's because YR is so popular, but backpacks and lunch boxes, school supplies are all here starting in June. We have a Target and Office Max down the road, and they even give out sheets per grade what you need in the store.
It seems really crazy to me too because we have Walmart and Target across the street yet the only school supplies you can find are the ones in the standard office supply aisle and the same goes for backpacks and all the other stuff you need. The official "school supply" areas don't even start appearing until the end of July or beginning of August. Like I said, I do a lot of on-line shopping for backpacks and lunchboxes and then order from that on-line company who supplies the class supply lists.

Maybe it's because the year-round schools are only elementary schools, but it seems that the stores would realize they are missing a great opportunity. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting