Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 AM

758 posts, read 1,871,641 times

Advertisements

When is/was your children's last day of school? Do you look forward to it or dread it? Do you have summer traditions?

Our last day of school is tomorrow and I'm always excited about it and then about a month and a half in, I start counting the days until it starts again! This summer doesn't seem to be starting out so well for us here because the weather hasn't warmed up too much yet, it was 63 degrees here yesterday and today doesn't look any better.

We always spend at least one week at the family cabin with the inlaws and cousins, tubing and 4-wheeling. The kids always look forward to that. Other than that we just make it up as we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:51 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,434 times
My daughter's last day was yesterday... there will be MUCH less time on the computer in the next months

We had a perfect last day of school,only a half day,very warm outside,spent the entire afternoon at our pool club. Today is overcast and grey, my daughter is surprisingly playing school right now but we will be heading out to the library in a little while.

We always go home to visit both my family & my husband's,the kids are always excited to spend a week with their grandparents and cousins! we have company in & out quite a bit this Summer (as we always do),2 weeks of Summer camp (not consecutive and only 1/2 day camps) and then our family trip to the beach! in between,we will spend time just playing outside,at our pool club and fitting in some actual practice school work here and there

Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,919 times
Tomorrow is the last day of school and I'm so looking forward to it. No more schedules! No major plans for the summer, just hanging out, being lazy, what summer's are for!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Tomorrow is the last day of school and I'm so looking forward to it. No more schedules! No major plans for the summer, just hanging out, being lazy, what summer's are for!

I'm with ya!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 AM

821 posts, read 2,037,792 times
My DD last day of school is on 18th... I throwing her class a pizza party... She's enrolled in a summer camp program thats 6 weeks long and she loves it there this is her third year. Nothing is ever really planned but we go to the parks, pool, beach, there's tons of cook outs and partys just having some family fun!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,456 times
My son is on a year round schedule, so his last day of school was June 2. He starts school July 7.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
My son is on a year round schedule, so his last day of school was June 2. He starts school July 7.

Has he always been on year round? Do you like it as opposed to having one long vac.?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Good for you! I can't wait to shed the schedules, but we have a while to go yet -- June 26....

Old 06-11-2009, 09:21 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,154 times
My dds finish school on June 18. They go back in late August. We usually celebrate the last day of school by going out for ice cream.

I try to keep my dds pretty busy to avoid "I'm bored" complaints. I also try t keep them outdoors as much as possible b/c summers in Vermont are short and need to be savored.

They will spend six weeks of summer vacation at our town recreation program. Each week has a different theme. The kids spend the morning at our local high school doing theme-related crafts, sports and other activities. After lunch they get on a school bus and go to a state park that's 10 minutes away. There they can play on the beach or swim. Sometimes, the counselors will take them on a hike. At 3 p.m. they get back on the school bus and return to the high school for more quiet activities. The program ends at 5 p.m.

In mid July we host a Fresh Air Fund child from NYC. The Fresh Air fund brings under-privileged kids from the city to rural parts of the East Coast for two-week vacations. This will be our third year as hosts and we usually take our child on lots of day trips and do a lot of outdoor activities.

I've also planned a girls' weekend camping trip with my neighbor and her dd and I plan to visit family in Penn., NJ and Long Island.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:23 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
How does that work? Do they attend in trimesters with longer breaks between such as 6/2 - 7/7? Do they have 5 day weeks? Is it a public or private school? What is the opinion of the parents? How do the children like it?

I am sorry if I sound nosy, but I am curious to learn about the year round schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting