Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this child abuse?
I am a smoker.....yes this is child abuse 6 19.35%
I am not a smoker.....yes this is child abuse 25 80.65%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:48 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times

Advertisements

I think some people need to mind their own business. There are bigger issues to tackle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
So today while being stuck at yet another red light. I just can't remember the last time I ever made a green one, I looked over to see both parents, and I use the word parents very very loosly both smoking with the windows closed tightly and 2 babys in the back. Yes at least they were in car seats.

So I am going to ask this 2 ways in a poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 09:50 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
your poll is ridiculous and proves nothing.
You started a thread but don't want comments?
Hmmm.........interesting

Quote:
Sounds like you are wrong....but it wont be the first time. Am I right? Now if you cant particapate in a simple poll then dont bother with the comments either.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Kind of a loaded poll, dontcha think?

And no, it's not abuse. I feel bad for the kids -- I was one of them as well -- but they're not being abused (which is a word that's tossed around too freely these days, but that's fodder for another thread).

Old 06-12-2009, 10:23 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,942 times
Quote:
So today while being stuck at yet another red light. I just can't remember the last time I ever made a green one, I looked over to see both parents, and I use the word parents very very loosly both smoking with the windows closed tightly and 2 babys in the back. Yes at least they were in car seats.

Where are the options of NO, is not abuse???

Old 06-12-2009, 10:40 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,215 times
It's a bad choice, but not abuse.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:57 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,079 times
I am not a smoker, neither is my husband, and I think it is a very bad choice/ ignorant to smoke around kids, especially in a closed car. I do not think it is child abuse though, so like many others her, I was unable to vote in your poll.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:18 AM

124 posts, read 328,885 times
I dont think its abuse, because for abuse the parents should be smoking without windows down, with a intention to harm kids with their passive smoking, I dont think they are smoking with intention to harm their kids, nonethe less, they are not at all good parents, no doubt, the kids have no say or cannot understand, parents are taking advantage of their power , they are reckless , they definitely are neglecting and not respecting their children ,

my father was almost a chain smoker, I used to tell him to stop as I used to get tired staying with him seeing cigrette all the time and smoke all over, at times he told me to get out of house but cannot smoking, he used to tell me where would he go...

I can relate this pathetic situation with kids....Imagine their home.....smoking with windows not down is just tip of the iceberg, if they are so insensitive in this case , what about other things at home, school etc....There is a larger picture....

Quote:

Old 06-13-2009, 06:30 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
If you put a yes in your poll you really should have a NO....

Now, I don't agree with second hand smoke.... being a product of it myself. I am 31 and my father basically clam baked in the car.... I don't believe it was child abuse though.... not back in the 70's and 80's. They didn't know about second hand smoke at the time... I do suffer from chronic bronchitis now and have a horrible immune system now... He no longer does this as society has been educated.... What will happen to me because of my experience smoking as a child? Who knows... do I blame my father? No..... Do I think Parents smoking in a car like that today are abusing their kids? Well, perhaps they are extremely selfish? Perhaps they are just uncaring? Too addicted to care? But I don't think they are THINKING straight enough to realize what they are doing. I am living proof of what second hand somke does.... or DAMAGES... and... I don't think parents are purposfully abusing, setting out to midfully ABUSE thier kids.... so I would go with NEGLECT.... Since their is so much research and knowledge today on the subject of second hand smoke..... not abuse.... but NEGLECT.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:59 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
It's child neglect. Neglecting to provide your children with clean AIR to breathe, IMO, is abusive. It's one of the issues that makes me think that perhaps having a licensing/education program for would-be parents would be a good idea.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Sounds like we uncovered our first mother who blows smoke in her kids face.

It may not have been abuse 30 years ago but today we know what it does to our health.
I have never smoked and I am 43 years old. I don't think it's something I would do if I smoked but I think we throw the term abuse out very easily. Not everything a parent does that is questionable is abusive. Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting