Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:50 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,618 times

Advertisements

This year we had the big party. My daughter turned 6. We made a rule in the house though that the kids can only have a party with friends on even birthdays. I am not a fan of birthday parties at all. I figure by the time she's 8, she'll only want to invite 3 or 4 of her closest friends. I think when they are young, they don't discriminate and everyone is their friend, which is nice, but expensive. It's hard to pare it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 PM

821 posts, read 2,037,564 times
I'm hispanic and yes when we throw parties everyone in the family comes even the ones without the kids its fun!!!! Please dont get me started on how New Years Eve is with the entire family LOL

Its family time and my daughter looks forward to it.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:19 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Our parties were mostly family oriented and we have a small extended family so it never was a huge deal. I think each of my kids had 1 or 2 "birthday bashes" with a bunch of friends at some local hot spot when they were young, and one big one when they were in high school here at the house with a band (friends from school...everyone was in a band in high school) and a bbq.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 AM

6 posts, read 24,406 times
I have seen so many birthday parties get out of hand for little kids. Parents spend so much money that it doesn't even seem about the kids anymore - it's more about keeping up. Growing up, all our birthday parties were at home with homemade snacks and cake, party games etc. I have such great memories.

Now I have three girls of my own, I alternate between giving them a party one year, and having a friend over to do an activity and sleepover the next (like painting pottery, a movie, etc..). It may change as they get older, but for now it works.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:30 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjane View Post
I have seen so many birthday parties get out of hand for little kids. Parents spend so much money that it doesn't even seem about the kids anymore - it's more about keeping up. Growing up, all our birthday parties were at home with homemade snacks and cake, party games etc. I have such great memories.

Now I have three girls of my own, I alternate between giving them a party one year, and having a friend over to do an activity and sleepover the next (like painting pottery, a movie, etc..). It may change as they get older, but for now it works.
I have done it both ways.... in the house and out of the house... less money and more money... I am not ready for the sleep overs yet as my kids are only 5 and 6... but in terms of the money I actually would have to say I am willing to spend that little bit more for the more exciting party and NOT have the party mess and all the kids in my house, have to cook, clean and worry or stress over the day.... I like having someone else do it and then go home to a clean house.... Does anyone else feel this way? or does the majority think I am crazy

Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I have done it both ways.... in the house and out of the house... less money and more money... I am not ready for the sleep overs yet as my kids are only 5 and 6... but in terms of the money I actually would have to say I am willing to spend that little bit more for the more exciting party and NOT have the party mess and all the kids in my house, have to cook, clean and worry or stress over the day.... I like having someone else do it and then go home to a clean house.... Does anyone else feel this way? or does the majority think I am crazy
I am with you. My sanity is worth the money.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:18 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I am with you. My sanity is worth the money.
When they were smaller I did not mind paying the extra $$ to have a no fuss party. Now that they are older their parties are smaller, and easier so I don't mind if they have them at home with a few friends.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:22 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,371 times
My kid has a birthday at the end of the summer, when everyone is on vacation. So, I plan for big and hope for the best. I work with a theme. I found a book that had all kinds of birthday ideas. So, I do the home made parties sometimes. Last year, we had a cowboy themed party and did it at a horse stable. I like finding the costumes and creating games and then running them as hard as I can so that they pass out when the parents pick them up.

This year it will be a space party. We did it before but he has no recollection of it. I am hoping that the older that he gets the more it can be scaled down.

My ex has a big family and for awhile it seemed like that the kids parties were actually geared for the drinking adults. So, I made the move to make parties where my kid is the focus. In and out. Boom. 3 -4 hours. I'll clean for it.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:23 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,315 times
My kids are 10&12, and the last few years I have given them a choice. They can invite 10-15 kids and do something at the house, and no one spends the night, or they can invite up to 3 or 4 kids, I can take them somewhere, and they can spend the night.

My son usually picks the at home larger number of kids, partly because his B-day is in late May and we can do a pool party at the house. My daughter's B-day is in October, so we don't have that option. She usually picks a few friends and they spend the night. Her last B-day we took her and 3 friends to a hotel that has a heated indoor pool with a big waterslide for a few hours - they had a blast!

We always have a party with the relatives, too, but because of how many there are, it is always simple and at the house (sometimes combined with the friend parties).

Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 AM

8 posts, read 14,098 times
I need some help with how to handle a situation. We have lived in our neighborhood for about 5 years. They people across the street have a son the same age as ours. They play together almost every day and are at each others houses at least once a week. Every year this child has a Birthday party and has never invited my child. We have always invited him, and he has always come. The boy invites the 3 other boys in the neighborhood that are the same age, but never my son. What gives? My child is very hurt by this and doesn't understand. Has anyone else had this problem??? please give me some advice. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting