Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times

Advertisements

For a daughter, how does 'Xia' sound?

I'm white, wife is Asian (not Chinese).

We both like the name quite a bit. Xia means 'glow of sunrise' in Mandarin Chinese.

However, I know the U.S. is becoming more and more multicultural with many different names. But wondering if 'Xia' is a bit too difficult for English speakers with how to pronounce it, etc.

Other than that, we both like the name quite a bit.

Still, I'm a bit curious to hear other's opinions on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,583,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
For a daughter, how does 'Xia' sound?

I'm white, wife is Asian (not Chinese).

We both like the name quite a bit. Xia means 'glow of sunrise' in Mandarin Chinese.

However, I know the U.S. is becoming more and more multicultural with many different names. But wondering if 'Xia' is a bit too difficult for English speakers with how to pronounce it, etc.

Other than that, we both like the name quite a bit.

Still, I'm a bit curious to hear other's opinions on it.
I went to school with a girl named Xenia (pronounced "Zinnia").
She was also half-asian, half-white (don't know the specific nationalities of her parents; I believe her dad was Swedish or Norwegian or something).
She was a smart, pretty, and confident girl, and her name suited her.

I don't know the mandarin pronunciation of "Xia".
Whatever it is, if it's too difficult, I imagine that English-speakers will pronounce it "Zia".

Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM

546 posts, read 1,673,443 times
Is it pronounced like Zeeah?

I enjoy names that are unique and not too far out. I think it's a beautiful name. We've got out third boy showing up any day now and chose Soren. I was wondering how most people would take it as I had never heard the name before, but so far everyone loves it.

I say go with it

Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,008,849 times
Love it! Names that end with "a" are very popular right now, so, if it's pronounced "Zia" (rather than "Sha") it will be just different enough without going too far.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:42 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,418,041 times
My daughter's middle name is Xenia - should have spelled it the correct Russian way, Ksenia, because people do say it Zeenia. I say it K-seh-nee-ah. The English tongue finds it hard to say two letters, K and S, together like "KS", they tend to say "Ehgzeenia". So if you plan to pronounce Xia as "Kseeah", it will slide into "Zeeah" or "Ehgzeeah".

Old 06-14-2009, 11:16 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
She will have to spend her life pronouncing and spelling her name for everyone-as long as you are ok with that and don't get all bent out of shape when people mispronounce or misspell it. There was a girl in our kids' old school named Xia-blond hair/blue eyed little girl. She is about 9 or 10 now.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:21 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,008,849 times
I had a really unusual surname growing up, so I spent a lot of time spelling my name for others. It didn't bother me at all, since I thought it was thoughtful of people to take the time to make sure they had it right.

Quote:
My daughter's middle name is Xenia.
I grew up near the town of Xenia, Ohio, and we pronounced it "zeen-yah."

Old 06-14-2009, 12:14 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,418,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I grew up near the town of Xenia, Ohio, and we pronounced it "zeen-yah."
I learned about the English pronunciation of "Xenia" after my daughter's name was already written in the Department of Vital Statistics lol. Had I known (and not as if my dh hadn't warned me) I'd've spelled it Ksenia - at least it would've given people a pause before saying it. Not going to change now!

Off-the-topic: USA has amazing town names - Moscow, Paris, Bagdad, Rome, Denmark, Cuba, Typo, Metropolis, Gay, Hell (I am from Hell?)

Weird U.S. Town Names

Old 06-14-2009, 12:33 PM

546 posts, read 1,673,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Off-the-topic: USA has amazing town names - Moscow, Paris, Bagdad, Rome, Denmark, Cuba, Typo, Metropolis, Gay, Hell (I am from Hell?)

Weird U.S. Town Names
Not to hijack, but I remember driving in CA once and passing a sign for a town called Los Banyos. It still makes me chuckle.

please return to your normal parenting thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:15 PM

2,109 posts, read 3,281,791 times
How do you pronounce Xia? Is is "Zee-ah" or "shee-ah" (as my daughter thinks it's pronounced, similar to her asian friends last name which starts with an X)?

This will be a common questions asked of her , but either way it's pronounced, it's a pretty name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting