Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:06 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You would go to a parents WORKPLACE - and then RETALIATE? Over a few rolls of TP if someone had a crush on your son/daughter?

Wow. That's more ridiculous than the original prank plus it has the added "benefit" of humiliating your own child.
The fact that the word "retaliate" was used by a "parent" nullifies the slam of "cool parent".

To teach your children retaliation...that's great

Macies mom, tried to rep you but gotta spread it around...fun, lighthearted post that brought out the claws, again. I think most see it as a teenage rite of passage & don't call the police & "retaliate"..."most"...and in the world of statistics...that is good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
I would be really irritated if someone t p'd my house so I would encourage my children to be more respectful of others property. I know for most it is just innocent fun but it's not fun for those who have to clean up the mess.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:27 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I would be really irritated if someone t p'd my house so I would encourage my children to be more respectful of others property. I know for most it is just innocent fun but it's not fun for those who have to clean up the mess.
That is a reasonable response.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:51 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
If I found out my kids did this to someones house , guess where they would be the next day ? they would be at that house cleaning it up !!! I am a no nonsense type of parent and very strict . If you mess up then you had better fix it .

Old 06-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Ya know what I find interesting in this whole thread? I just started it to find out other's thoughts and experiences. Mainly has been interesting - different parts of the country or era's it has meant different things. Some people it bothers and others not so much. Like I said, interesting. Some have different opinions and thoughts than my own and that's all good too. If we were all the same, the world would be a boring place indeed. But, a couple of posters went beyond just disagreeing and putting thoughts out there but in fact, went so far as to describe or hint at "retaliation" or violent acts (I took the whole "click-click" thing to simulate the sound of a gun at the ready - I hope I misinterpreted). And yet these are the ones who are slamming the parenting that others do? Disagreeing, being upset if it happens to you, wanting the culprits to clean it up - fine, I understand that and appreciate the opinion (after all, I did indeed ask) but to insinuate that you are somehow a better parent if you sit there on your front porch ready to take out the neighbor kid with a shotgun? Or threaten to do it back tenfold or track a parent down at work...pretty extreme stuff.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Ya know what I find interesting in this whole thread? I just started it to find out other's thoughts and experiences. Mainly has been interesting - different parts of the country or era's it has meant different things. Some people it bothers and others not so much. Like I said, interesting. Some have different opinions and thoughts than my own and that's all good too. If we were all the same, the world would be a boring place indeed. But, a couple of posters went beyond just disagreeing and putting thoughts out there but in fact, went so far as to describe or hint at "retaliation" or violent acts (I took the whole "click-click" thing to simulate the sound of a gun at the ready - I hope I misinterpreted). And yet these are the ones who are slamming the parenting that others do? Disagreeing, being upset if it happens to you, wanting the culprits to clean it up - fine, I understand that and appreciate the opinion (after all, I did indeed ask) but to insinuate that you are somehow a better parent if you sit there on your front porch ready to take out the neighbor kid with a shotgun? Or threaten to do it back tenfold or track a parent down at work...pretty extreme stuff.
Well, there are those parents who beat up other parents at their kids soccer games or throw things at the ref. A few years ago some father shot another father or the ref as retaliation for not letting his son play long enough & it made national news...so....

I honestly cannot see the extreme reaction as necessary. Ok, you want the kids to clean it up. Call their parents. Your child will know who did it, so have them name names. Go to the school & talk to the principle. If you want to make a huge deal out of it, it's your perogative.

Like I said earlier, I'm pretty strict & uptight with my children and was raised in a very strict home...but this is something that causes extreme anguish to a parent? Wow!

I think there are battles to fight with your kids and if properly monitored & supervised, its no biggie. If your kids have boundaries & have been raised in a healthy and normally dysfunctional home (b/c we all have some of it no matter how hard we try to be Mary Poppins or June Cleaver), this is not going to lead to a life of vandalism and chaos.

And I have no issues with waking my boys up bright & early to clean up a yard if they so partake in such a thing. If this is the WORST thing my children ever do in their life...god bless 'em...I'll take this over sex, drugs, drinking, shoplifting...

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 PM

I'd rep ya if I could

Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Well, there are those parents who beat up other parents at their kids soccer games or throw things at the ref. A few years ago some father shot another father or the ref as retaliation for not letting his son play long enough & it made national news...so....

I honestly cannot see the extreme reaction as necessary. Ok, you want the kids to clean it up. Call their parents. Your child will know who did it, so have them name names. Go to the school & talk to the principle. If you want to make a huge deal out of it, it's your perogative.

Like I said earlier, I'm pretty strict & uptight with my children and was raised in a very strict home...but this is something that causes extreme anguish to a parent? Wow!

I think there are battles to fight with your kids and if properly monitored & supervised, its no biggie. If your kids have boundaries & have been raised in a healthy and normally dysfunctional home (b/c we all have some of it no matter how hard we try to be Mary Poppins or June Cleaver), this is not going to lead to a life of vandalism and chaos.

And I have no issues with waking my boys up bright & early to clean up a yard if they so partake in such a thing. If this is the WORST thing my children ever do in their life...god bless 'em...I'll take this over sex, drugs, drinking, shoplifting...
Wow. Common sense. So refreshing.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
You misinterpreted, to an extent...

It isn't about rage or over-emphasis. It's about fear and loathing.

If I or my husband wake to hear someone or a number of persons running around my property in the middle of the night when NO ONE has any business legitimate here, I am going to grab something as I head out the door to investigate. Call me whatever you want, but I'm not stepping out in to the unknown without back-up.
Hence the CLICK CLICK on my front porch. (It might be a baseball bat instead.)

Am I going to actually shoot a few teenagers for stomping all over my garden? No. But I will be pissed, because I'm busting my ass trying to fix this place up.
Do I know immediately that this is what's going on outside? Can I tell from glancing out the window that this is all...doubtful.
Do I know why this is taking place? No, because to me this is not a happy thing, not a custom I am in any way familiar with. I am not the bad neighbor, I'm the nice one. Even asked my husband (who thinks it's nothing to get twisted about, so that's just a me thing...) if he remembers the motivation for such an act...and I'm not completely nuts because he remembers too that it was something done as a method of some harm, of perturbing - not this 'badge of honor' that some of you insist it is. That was not our way...maybe it's because we were the fringe and not the 4-H...
Do I know that something that should NOT be happening is in fact taking place? Yes.

I have experienced people trying to break in to my car (once) and then succeeding (twice), attempting my house (once), people walking around the house (more than one) and vandalism to my property before (never tp, but the local highschool dealer liked to hang on my street corner...they knew we and my next-door neighbors were the ones calling the cops...)
So, someone is at my house, on my lawn at 3 am? I am a little testy with all that. Maybe that's because I've dealt with intruders...and the law taking 45 minutes to respond to a call about a stranger at my windows, looking to find an open one, with me alone in the house (true story, welcome to West Palm Beach). I don't have much faith in anybody.

So, back to some clown running around my house. I am going to insist, in no uncertain words, that they are not welcome here now OR again unless it is to clean up the debris they've thought so much of me to leave behind.

Now, somehow, in some world, not my own, somebody thinks late night littering pranks are equal to the evening visits of a child Trick or Treating...at least that's what they tried to insinuate before the comment was deleted. Not the same. Hello to you, too.
And that solicitation to purchase a subscription from a door-to-door salesman is somehow right up there, too...
Well, actually, I don't much like salespeople but they tend to show up during daylight hours, when my mood is a bit better.

As I said before...you may have your own way of celebrating such an event, and if it is just between friends (which was NOT part of the original question) - I don't care one way or the other. But in case someone lets their kids do this or encourages such activities without absolute certainty the where, how, when...remember that not everybody is so keen on this particular activity.

If it were as simple as my daughter telling me that this sort of thing goes on, I would instruct her to make sure the kids knew it would not fly, not to do it...and that I do not want her partaking in such 'pranks' either.

Perhaps I answered sharply and louder than I normally do around here, but the more I read that this is "no big deal" the more I lose respect for anyone who thinks this is a one-size-fits-all situation. Does my attitude start to make a bit more sense?

We just aren't going to agree on this one.

Last edited by 33458; 06-18-2009 at 01:11 AM..

Old 06-18-2009, 01:29 AM

220 posts, read 648,632 times
LOL, I did't read all 51654657 pages but I'd like to chime in.
First, I tped when I was a kid. It was a blast!!
Second, I've let my oldest do it in good fun. Eggs nor water is ever allowed and its not allowed to be done out of spite. If she gets caught, she deals with the repercussions whatever they may be. If the parents want her to clean up, she better high tale it over there and clean up!

Last summer though, an all in fun prank went south and I got into a tisk with another parent.
Two boys were prank calling the house all night long and ding dong ditching the house. My daughter and her friend decided that they were going to water bomb the boys in return. They made arrangements with the boys to meet them outside the boys house and then we drove by and water bombed them. the girls each threw 2 water bombs and we went on our merry way.
Well apparently the boys then took it upon themselves to have a water fight inside their mothers house (which is completely beyond my control)....anyhow I guess the boys fight inside the house woke the mother who became irate that an hour before I drove my girls over there to bomb them OUTSIDE their house mind you. She then proceeded to pound on my door at midnight acting completely out of control and threatening violence if I didnt open the door.
I opened the door and verbally confronted her for her behavior. Explained my side, that the girls were simply retaliating and never did they throw water bombs inside her house. I told her that if she wanted to be angry that water was inside her house she needed to be angry with her sons. She then got in my face and basically said "lets go" and wanted to duke it out....And she thought I was the uncivilized one for allowing my kids to throw water balloons?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting