Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:54 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Next time, tell him he's ugly, and you can diet. Can't fix ugly.
Depending on how the term PHAT was being used. Most commonly it stands for Pretty Hot and Tempting/Tasty which is a compliment albeit not one a teacher would like to get from a student.

Other definition of PHAT is Pretty Hot and Thick, which could be taken as insult or a compliment depending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 05:05 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Depending on how the term PHAT was being used. Most commonly it stands for Pretty Hot and Tempting/Tasty which is a compliment albeit not one a teacher would like to get from a student.

Other definition of PHAT is Pretty Hot and Thick, which could be taken as insult or a compliment depending.
DEF. Not one a Teacher wants to get from a student!!!! I was mortified! It was one of my horror sotries come true! Went right away to the principal to make sure I really covered myself.... other students were called in... luckily they told the truth.... it is a very scary thing to have happen. BUT this is not something that well mannered kids do!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 06:05 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
I'm perfectly okay with a teacher providing lessons on civility if kids are struggling to maintain their decorum in class.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I thought my kids had good manners, but moving to a southern state opened my eyes to a whole other level. Within a couple of months they were both saying "yes sir" and "yes ma'am". I'm not sure the teachers expected it, but the football coaches sure did! Now, it's become automatic.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:11 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
My kids recently began using "Yes, Ma'am" and "Yes, Sir" on a regular basis. It's not something that we require of them, but it certainly does turn heads around the neighborhood when they do so.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Considering the amount of time children are in school, if the school and the parents do not work together on this, they will not be educated about manners and social skills. Learning how to live around others in a mannerly fashion is something that will benefit them for the rest of their lives. What are those parents thinking?

Old 06-14-2009, 08:20 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
I don't think manner and social skills should be a class that is taken but I do think it is very easy for a teacher to reiterate how important manners are. It is very easy to incorporate manners into a daily thing. How hard is it for a teacher to say "thank you", "your welcome" "please don't interupt when others are speaking." Alot of times if my kids forget to say "thank you" and I say it to them, the light goes on and they get it. Kids forget and need to be reminded and for those parents who think it is not the teachers job you are correct but for some kids they have to get it from somewhere. So maybe for me it is more the teacher teaching by example.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:10 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
I think they should be constantly taught and encouraged. Do I think they need a time slot in a school day? No...but they should always be used, encouraged and taught if need be. Always...at home, at school, at neighbors, at grandma and grandpa's house...everywhere.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
A relative of mine teaches Kindergarten and First Grade and has been getting alot of flak from the parents when she attempts to teach kids social skills, manners and etiquette.
It is absolutely needed in kindergarten! Some kids come in not even knowing how to wipe their butts!

There will always be issues a parent didn't cover or teach well enough at home to a preschooler--even when you try your hardest. Things need to be done differently at school and the children need to learn the rules. They no longer have to share time/toys/games with just their sibling(s) or one or two friends, but with at least 20 different, new children. There is no way for a parent to fully teach this at home.

And yes, unfortunately, there are those who don't teach their children any manners before entering school... But it is a long 13 years and if you want your tax dollars to be well spent, you had better hope the kindergarten teacher did a good job teaching social skills from the get-go!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:46 AM

467 posts, read 983,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think parents are not doing their job.
i think the schools feed and raise the kids.
i think this needs to stop.
lmao, what are they supposed to do, let the kids starve at lunchtime and and have no break in the day have a bunch of grouchy ill-mannered kids who won't listen to the teachers because they are so hungry and worn out? lol. Yeah good plan... not

OP: I'd say its fine. More important things to worry about. The only conflict would be if the teacher is teaching them something is wrong that the parents themselves actually want them to do or have said is okay. In that case I'd just tell Junior to do it the teacher's way (depending what it is) while your in his/her class, but outside of that, not to worry about it. Life is full of those kinds of situations where we act a certain way in certain situations or around certain people. Its a good lesson in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting