Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 03:14 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I think they should actually get rid of most of what they commonly teach in school. Seriously...how much history does a person need to know? If I do not plan to be a scientist or even like science, why make me take 3 years of it? They should be teaching basic history, math, science, and english. As well as, Budgeting, banking, mannerism, networking and other social skills. Basically teach kids what they would need if they where tossed out into the world after high school.

That's a good point, but it will never happen, schools districts want there schools to score high academically. When people are interested in moving and have school age kids,[ if you take notice on the state forums] thats one of the first question they ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
To some extent, it's probably necessary. Particularly for those children who aren't being taught those things at home, but also because they spend hours at school, and need to be reminded to use those manners. What was the term? In loco parentis?

Old 06-18-2009, 05:04 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Still teaching, curious? That's one job I could never see myself doing,
I don't have the kind of patience necessary for the profession.
Not right now...home with my two kids for the past 7 years.... have to go out in the real world in the next two years.... but it is looking like it will be back to teaching... the hours are too good to pass up with kids ... despite the spit and rude behavior (from both students and parents-they learn it from somewhere ya know!!!) - like being home when my kids are home.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
I think they should actually get rid of most of what they commonly teach in school. Seriously...how much history does a person need to know? If I do not plan to be a scientist or even like science, why make me take 3 years of it? They should be teaching basic history, math, science, and english. As well as, Budgeting, banking, mannerism, networking and other social skills. Basically teach kids what they would need if they where tossed out into the world after high school.
I couldn't disagree more, as I am convinced that history should be THE core academic subject. I am constantly appalled at the utter lack of knowledge American students have about the world. Many even fail to have a basic grasp of our own country's history! A firm grounding in world events from the beginning of civilization is essential to enter Adler's "Great Conversation." Furthermore, the study of history and its corresponding literary works allows one to study social successes and failures on a grand scale, furthering the cause of civility for us all.

Also, regarding the study of science, you'll appreciate those years of biology and chemistry if you or a family member are ever struck with devastating illness. Being an informed and knowledgeable patient will secure you better health care.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:14 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I couldn't disagree more, as I am convinced that history should be THE core academic subject. I am constantly appalled at the utter lack of knowledge American students have about the world. Many even fail to have a basic grasp of our own country's history! A firm grounding in world events from the beginning of civilization is essential to enter Adler's "Great Conversation." Furthermore, the study of history and its corresponding literary works allows one to study social successes and failures on a grand scale, furthering the cause of civility for us all.

Also, regarding the study of science, you'll appreciate those years of biology and chemistry if you or a family member are ever struck with devastating illness. Being an informed and knowledgeable patient will secure you better health care.
I agree. I wish there were more emphasis placed on science and history - and also writing - in schools. Unfortunately they have to spend so much time on learning how to pass the standardized tests, and the school years keep getting shortened and school days keep shrinking due to budget cuts, that schools have to make sacrifices somewhere. Lack of money for new or even current (updated with current knowledge, rather than old outdated facts) curriculum also wreck havoc on the situation. Couple all that with edgy parents who protest every little thing and a district worried about lawsuits from angry parents... and the current state of things is what you're left with.

It really isn't until middle school that kids are getting something even close to resembling a decent education in science and history, yet by that time most of the kids have tuned out or are just going through the motions... having lost (or having it yanked out of them) their natural spirit of curiosity that we all have when we are much younger, at the elementary age.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:38 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times
Quote:

I would rather want to know how to behave in a group, budget, and and network...you use those tools far more often than you use science and complex math. history should have a good focus...one should always know where they come from. history teaches how the world works.

I say take the most common issues we deal with as adults and teach that. Politics, understanding banking, budgeting, networking, value of hard work. Some things they teach in school is not necessary.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:48 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:

I agree. I too grumbled in geometry and biology that I would never need that knowledge, but looking back, I don't think that education is pointless. I think it behooves all of us to learn about the outside world, how things work and art and culture. It's good to discuss abstract ideas and open our minds.

It's parents' job to teach kids about good manners, how to balance a checkbook, how to get and keep a job, how to manage money, etc. It's very important information, but school is not mere vocational training.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
I would rather want to know how to behave in a group, budget, and and network...you use those tools far more often than you use science and complex math. history should have a good focus...one should always know where they come from. history teaches how the world works.

I say take the most common issues we deal with as adults and teach that. Politics, understanding banking, budgeting, networking, value of hard work. Some things they teach in school is not necessary.
Parents should teach those things.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree. I too grumbled in geometry and biology that I would never need that knowledge, but looking back, I don't think that education is pointless. I think it behooves all of us to learn about the outside world, how things work and art and culture. It's good to discuss abstract ideas and open our minds.

It's parents' job to teach kids about good manners, how to balance a checkbook, how to get and keep a job, how to manage money, etc. It's very important information, but school is not mere vocational training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Parents should teach those things.
I also agree but parents do not teach those things...maybe how to balance a checkbook, but no one teaches their kids how credit works, how to bank, social networking. Look at the average student these days...very few high GPA in schools these days...why becasue people keep asking for more advanced learning and kids cannot keep up. I am sorry, but once a student is in high school, he or she should have the right to choose what path to choose. If I do not want to learn about geometry or chemistry I should not have to. And the state wide tests are a joke. How about we just have all the students take the ASVAB?

Schools do not teach real world applicable things, they teach things for...those once and a while things...Seriously how often does a cashier at walmart recall world history, Algerbra, or even biology?

And dont give me that crap about, if they had a better education they would not be a cashier...wrong again...some people do not want to do more than that...not becasue they dont know better but becasue its easy money.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:14 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
I also agree but parents do not teach those things...maybe how to balance a checkbook, but no one teaches their kids how credit works, how to bank, social networking. Look at the average student these days...very few high GPA in schools these days...why becasue people keep asking for more advanced learning and kids cannot keep up. I am sorry, but once a student is in high school, he or she should have the right to choose what path to choose. If I do not want to learn about geometry or chemistry I should not have to. And the state wide tests are a joke. How about we just have all the students take the ASVAB?

Schools do not teach real world applicable things, they teach things for...those once and a while things...Seriously how often does a cashier at walmart recall world history, Algerbra, or even biology?

And dont give me that crap about, if they had a better education they would not be a cashier...wrong again...some people do not want to do more than that...not becasue they dont know better but becasue its easy money.

Some high schools do have these things, it's up to the student to get involved and is more of an extra curicular activity, like running a school store, where they learn budgeting, purchasing.

Some even have there own radio stations. School paper, for journalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting