Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 PM

54 posts, read 66,424 times

Advertisements

When I was 14, my curfew was about 10-11pm, mainly because we had to walk everywhere.
I remember in the summers that we would walk to mcdonalds, the movie theatre or to the bowling alley and we would stay there till about 9:45ish and then all walk back or catch a ride with someone parents.

My brother now doesn't have a curfew and he is 14 mainly because my mom picks him up and drops him off and etc. She doesn't really let him walk around like I did, which is weird because I am the girl and usually parents are more strict on the girl and his friends parents don't let them do that much either.
She also doesn't let him hang out with girls in groups like that when he does out. The most he can do is go to the skatepark with a few friends but she does drive by snoopings or will camp out there with him following him around and talking to him all the time :/
But back to the girl thing....when I was with my groups of friends there was always like 3-4 guys in the group...go figure..

But yeah I would make it about 10 or 11 if they are having to walk. The city curfew here is 12am for anyone under 18 so..

Oh and I would let the RESPONSIBLE son earn extra time out...because if he acts good he deserves a reward and not to be held at the same standards as the trouble maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:38 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,023,829 times
I was a very dependable and honest kid when I was 14. I usually had to be in the neighborhood around 8 and in the house by 10 or so.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,434,734 times
At 14 they aren't little kids anymore and do not want to be treated as such. It is a difficult age. Why not make a contract with them (as mentioned above) but let them feel like partners. Ask them when its the appropriate time to get home and reach an agreement that works for them as well.
If they suggest a very late time, ask them to explain why and to be specific about that. You need to have an open dialog. As for your stepson, he may have issues, why not let his father talk to him and see what bothers him. The worst you can do is make him feel being the bad boy next to your boy (the good son).

Old 06-22-2009, 04:38 AM

467 posts, read 981,290 times
too broad a question for people we really don't know anything about. Its really dependant on the people involved and whats going on in your household.

9-10pm seems a reasonable time period to be indoors. My mom wanted us inside somewhere by sunset. You didn't need a clock for that and it was obvious and no mistaking it. Being physically home by 10pm.

Bad side of this is that teens get crafty. I was. I'd wait till by parents fell asleep and when I felt the coast was clear, would go back out another hour or two and come back. No one was ever the wiser. Not condoning it, just telling ya to be aware of things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting