Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msboom View Post
Will a parent please help me understand what is it like to not be able to have a relationship with your child because the ex took him far away and you had no say in the situation? This comes up at fathers day, my bf gets depressed, help me understand. thank-you.
How far is far away and did the ex have permission to remove the child from the state? Maybe it's changed but it used to be kidnapping to take a child out of the state without the other parent's permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Relocation and Child Custody

Divorce decrees often have relocation provisions specifying if the children can be moved, how far, what notification is required, etc. In those states where such provisions are valid, the parents must stick to these provisions or attempt to get a court to modify them. Not all states recognize the validity of these agreements however.

You're bf's ex-wife may have broken the law when removing the child and making visitation impossible.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:53 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,274,026 times
What has your boyfriend done to foster any kind of relationship with his child?

Old 06-21-2009, 01:24 PM

283 posts, read 933,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Relocation and Child Custody

Divorce decrees often have relocation provisions specifying if the children can be moved, how far, what notification is required, etc. In those states where such provisions are valid, the parents must stick to these provisions or attempt to get a court to modify them. Not all states recognize the validity of these agreements however.

You're bf's ex-wife may have broken the law when removing the child and making visitation impossible.
she was not his ex wife , I don't believe they ever went to court for anything.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:25 PM

283 posts, read 933,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
What has your boyfriend done to foster any kind of relationship with his child?
I am unsure, I think he tries to keep contact through relatives as to how she's doing, but I don't think he communicates directly with the child.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,274,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msboom View Post
I am unsure, I think he tries to keep contact through relatives as to how she's doing, but I don't think he communicates directly with the child.
This is your b/f and you do not know of any direct contact? Doesn't this tell you something?

Why not encourage your b/f to actually behave like a father? Even if the relationship is one sided, that child will know that his/her father actually acknowleges his/her exsistance. That depression you see... may actually be guilt for not behaving like a father. If it bothers the dad so much, he needs to do something about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting