Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:52 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times

Advertisements

My daughter got invited to a boy's birthday pool party. What do we get him? I'd want it to be a little more unique than a gift card (her idea), but don't know what else there is to get a 13 yo boy. He's into sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
A tee shirt with a favorite band or sports team logo, a DVD or CD of anything trendy, or anything "home made" from a girl. My daughter was big on baking giant cookies and decorating them, and creating unusual gifts and custom tees. Once she decorated a small plain waste basket with stickers of the Simpsons for a boy who was a fan, and another time she broke up old CD's and used them to make a mosaic Peace Sign on poster board and put it in a cheap frame for a hippyish guy in her class. She was always really popular with the fellas .

Old 06-20-2009, 08:13 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,166 times
A bobblehead of a favorite player, team photo, or small items related to his favorite sport. Or you can call and ask his mother for any ideas. I always ask the parent when I R.S.V.P for the party.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:29 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
A bobblehead of a favorite player, team photo, or small items related to his favorite sport. Or you can call and ask his mother for any ideas. I always ask the parent when I R.S.V.P for the party.
I do the same thing. But I have had a lot of parents say they had no idea what kinds of things their kids liked. I don't know if it's because they no nothing about their kid, or if their kid is constantly changing what they like and dislike.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:14 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Cash.

I would ask the parents though.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Gift cards are really the way to go but if she doesn't want to do that then I would get him a baseball hat from his favorite team. Boys at that age are hard to buy for, I have a 14 year old DS and a 16 year old ds.

Do you have any idea what sports he likes? If he like golf, for instance, you could get him a headcover with his favorite sports team logo or get him a box of Nike golf balls.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
I second the sports theme. If the boy likes sports then a piece of equipment for his sport would be fun.

Sometimes you can find t-shirts with funny sayings about the sport they like.
T-shirts with their favorite sports team logos.
Golf balls for golfers
Baseball-batting glove
Lacrosse-fiddlestick set
Sweat band sets for any sport.
There are also caps that the boys wear to contain sweat (Under Armour makes these, Nike also)
Under Armour clothing is very popular with the boys that age who play sports.
Water toys for summer (my teens still play with water guns)
If you can get his shoe size slip on shoes are great for athletes
Sports bags (you might chip in with someone else these are a little pricey but the boys like them).
I-tunes gift cards-I know you don't want to do this but they usually like them.
CASH-they love to get money as teens.
Quicksilver and Ecko are popular clothing brands. You can usually find Quicksilver t shirts in bright colors for reasonable prices. Maybe you could chip in with someone and get him an outfit.

Teenaged boys are hard to buy for.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:09 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
At 13, boys can be real particular in what they like and don't like. I've raised two teen boys....trust me.....cash or gift cards are your best bet and they will be most appreciated.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
I talked to his mom yesterday.. it'll be a case for his iPod and one of those big boxes of candy. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I talked to his mom yesterday.. it'll be a case for his iPod and one of those big boxes of candy. Thanks for the suggestions.
Glad you were able to find an idea for him. Another thing might have been a CD case so he could store his CDs or DVDs or Video games in. Maybe in a couple of years you could get him a jump drive to put all of his photos (if he has his own digital camera) and what nots on from the computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting