Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by favesis21 View Post
My 8 1/2 yr old son started losing his teeth when he was 5 yrs. He lost them in the right order, starting with the front top teeth, then the bottom front teeth, etc. He lost 8 teeth one right after the other, with the permanent tooth coming down right away. Here's the problem: he has stopped losing teeth. The last tooth he lost happened over a year ago. No loose teeth right now. I check frequently. I wouldn't worry about this except that he literally lost all of the other teeth one right after the other with no gaps in time and the permanent teeth came down immediately after. It just seems odd to me that all of a sudden he has stopped and there is no sign of the other permanent teeth coming down regardless of the baby tooth being lost or not. Has anyone else experienced this?
When I was about 11, and needed braces, I had to have all of my back teeth pulled because they didn't fall out themselves. Then I had to have little chains attached to my adult teeth to pull them up out of my gums. Each visit, the ortho would tighten the chain by a link. Really fun! You might just want to check with your dentist at his next routine check up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:01 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,748,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
That's normal. Kids lose the four front teeth on the top and the four on the bottom, then go a couple of years before losing the incisors (canines) and baby molars. My son is also 8 1/2 and his tooth loss has gone the same as your son's. (Meanwhile, my daughter is 6 and is so eager to start getting loose teeth... but alas, nothing is wiggly yet!)
This is what our dentist told me as well, when I neurotically asked the same question. You lose the front 8, then there's a long break, then the last 8.

I remember losing at least one of my molars in High School, so everyone's different. They come out when they're good & ready.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
I had all of my adult teeth, including wisdom teeth, by the time I was 12. My sister did not have her wisdom teeth emerge until she was in high-school. My wife had her un-emerged wisdom teeth removed when she was in college. I never had any degree of predictability - sometimes I would randomly have a tooth loosen, sometimes multiple teeth would loosen simultaneously, sometimes there would be long gaps between loose teeth. Everyone is different with regard to how they lose and replace their baby teeth.

I'm not sure if rapid, delayed or erratic tooth loss is a marker for any dental problems, but I'm quite certain that 8 1/2 is way, way, way too early to start being concerned about how a boy is losing his baby teeth.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,315 times
Kids are all so different! Both of mine got and lost their teeth in phases. My son started getting teeth at about 6 months, and had 6 coming in all at once! Then he started losing them at 5 years, and had 7 all one after another, then a break, then the same thing again. My daughter didn't get her first tooth until she was a year old, and then she didn't start losing them until she was in 2nd grade! Poor thing, everyone else had lost their teeth in kindergarten!! She is ten now and still behind in losing teeth.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,735 times
My five year old son, just started kindergarten. The same day he started kindergarten he lost a tooth. The dentist said that this is normal for a child his age to start losing his teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting