Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
You don't have to spank kids when a time out chair does better.

Spanking girls at any age is just plain wrong, gives the message it is ok for someone to hit them.

Come on people, grow up and be parents.
Time out chairs don't do @*$&@$& for some kids, they don't care.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:55 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
Just don't be suprised when your kid ends up as a rebellious teen, hits other people because he's learned its ok, or when he's finally gotten tired of it and hits you back to make you stop. Spanking does not help all kids. It didn't do anything for me. When the sting went away I just waited until the parents weren't looking this time to do it again Maybe it works for some, but not everyone.

My mother basically stopped when I was stronger and taller than her and she couldn't physically force me. Once she took a swing and I just caught her hand in midair and held it until she finally realized her son was physically stronger than her now and calmed herself down. Thats when it ended for good. She simply fell back on yelling and lecturing at that point.
Oh please. My parents busted my a** with Willow switches when I was a kid, and I am not a bully, nor did I ever think about being so disrespectful as to even think about hitting my parents back.

You can't use your own personal opinions to judge everyone. I was totally opposite of you, and spanking instilled in me the lesson of consequences for my actions. Now mind you, I was rewarded for my good behavior, and punished for my poor behavior. Too many people (kids and adults both) today, didn't learn or have forgotten that lesson.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:30 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Oh please. My parents busted my a** with Willow switches when I was a kid, and I am not a bully, nor did I ever think about being so disrespectful as to even think about hitting my parents back.

You can't use your own personal opinions to judge everyone. I was totally opposite of you, and spanking instilled in me the lesson of consequences for my actions. Now mind you, I was rewarded for my good behavior, and punished for my poor behavior. Too many people (kids and adults both) today, didn't learn or have forgotten that lesson.
Right on!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Stop being silly.

You know I never said that.
Then why did you trot out a male/female distinction in the first place?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
I couldn't have said it better. The concept of respecting the authority of one's parents to punish seems to be alien to a lot of people.

Quote:

Old 06-23-2009, 03:59 AM

467 posts, read 983,612 times
Quote:

Neither did I. I was just pointing out that it could happen. Its an open forum, meaning its open to other ideas and perspectives from everyone.

As far as the judging based on personal exp... Don't we all do that to some degree just by posting on here? What someone calls judgement is just another person's honest opinion without any offenses intended, just a point of view we're free to have.

Have a nice day.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Time out chairs don't do @*$&@$& for some kids, they don't care.
same can be said for spanks.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I think most kids rebell.
To me when a person rebells, then they should be punished.
To me that is one advantage of a spanking. It shows they crossed the line.
At the same time, it is not the end of the world. They pushed the limit, they crossed the line, they got punished. Moove on.
Good thing the Colonials won the Revolution then I don't think our Founding Fathers would have learned anything from a proper British spanking lmao.

not to mention the myriad of other rebellions in history and the undergrounds in conquered countries during wars like WW2 that were secretly helping the Allies. mho, but once a rebel, always a rebel. They may calm down about it or become more descreet, but they are still who they are.

I know thats not what you meant lol. But its funny how "bad" things are considered okay if it serves someone's purpose... human nature.

Rebels are considered outlaws unless they win, in which they become heroes. Its all a matter of perspective.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
My SIL is the only one I have ever seen pull the pants down to spank. It made me cringe. When I had to spank mine it was usually open hand, clothes definately on. I never had to spank them much. I do believe you have to find what works best for each individual kid. Spanking never helped my nephew, but he spent a lot of days in time out.
My mom used one of those wooden paddles with the ball and string on my little bro. and her grandkids. I have the paddle now and it has all their names on it. Even if one never needed spanking, she would give a little tap just so they could get their name on the paddle.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 AM

283 posts, read 738,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
One or two swats on a clothed bottom, and only for a child under 6 or so, after one or two warnings did not curb the misbehavior. My eight year old is certainly too big to get a spanking for discipline... losing a precious hour of video game play (he gets two hours per day on Saturdays and Sundays only) is a much better deterrent, by far! My six year old will get one swat on her clothed butt if she's really out of control, but for the most part, she's outgrown that by now as well.

This is our house as well. We really never need to spank after they reach school age, and anything in toddler years is cushioned by a diaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting