Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 AM

326 posts, read 1,301,591 times

Advertisements

I am still currently using the infant car seat and I couldn't imagine not having it.

Like the previous posters mentioned you will have portability and convenience that you just can't get from a convertible car seat. It makes traveling with your infant so much easier...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 09:54 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
You will need a convertable seat eventually. Research those well, they can last a very long time (going up to high weight limits). The thing with newborn seats is A. safer for newborns. b. the removable seat to carry your baby in. You take that seat into grocery stores and set them in the cart. You can take that removable seat into restaurants and set it in a special holder provided by the restaurant. So the newborn car seat doubles as a carrier too.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Oh another plus to the carrier feature is when you are shopping and have to go to the bathroom, you can put the seat on the floor and not try to zip/unzip/button etc. while holding the baby.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:04 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
I guess I'm in the minority as I couldn't stand using the infant carriers. I never bought one myself, although I did have to have use one since one baby I provided child care for was brought in one and I had to use it in the car when running errands.

I did not like taking them in and out of the car at all, especially from the third seat of the van, which was the only place I could put that one considering the other kids I had that had to get in and out of the van easily for school drop off and pick up. (and I didn't have a garage at the time, so had to do all this in whatever weather we were having)

Also, I'd much rather pick up my baby and carry them than lug that awkward heavy carrier around. I always carried my newborns, whether it was in the store, to the house or wherever. I never had an issue with waking them up due to moving them either.

So, I bought a convertible seat that worked for newborns and up and never looked back.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:48 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Oh another plus to the carrier feature is when you are shopping and have to go to the bathroom, you can put the seat on the floor and not try to zip/unzip/button etc. while holding the baby.
Oh gosh yes! That is the worse thing. I often used a sling, even when out and about, but the carrier was more convienent for short jaunts. However, I still hate to this day trying to pee with the sling on!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:11 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Like others have said it's super convenient to have a seat that can be easily carried around initially while they are small. If you could come up with one that could be used rear-facing and then forward facing up to 1 yr old that would be cool. (My kids grew out of them at ~9 months though)

My 2 younger kids turned out to be a tad on the big side by the time they got to be about 2 1/2 yrs old and needed oversized seats because of their height. So I had to buy an infant seat, a convertible seat and then an oversized seat. If I would have known they were going to turn out to be that tall I would have bought them both this seat when they outgrew their infant seat: Walmart.com: Graco - Nautilus 3-in-1 MultiUse Car Seat, Bravo: Car Seats
(I have no stake in either Graco or Walmart so don't think I'm spamming here)
But this seat has been GREAT! No joking around here. This seat is good to go for the duration that they have to be in a child seat/booster. The 5 pt harness is good up to 65 lbs. Then after that it converts to a booster that is good up to 100 lbs. If they grow out of having the back/headrest you can take that off and it's just the booster at that point. It's also extremely reasonably priced in comparison to other seats with similar specs.

Last edited by drjones96; 07-07-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 03:07 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
We went with the Graco infant seat. It's a good system. The problem was that the little boy was born 6 lbs., 15 oz. and was over 20 lbs. at 4 months. I had friends who were still using the infant seat out to 1 year of age, so at least they felt like they were getting some good bang for their buck. We had to turn around and buy a whole new carseat system about 120 days after bringing the kid home. Oh well.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:25 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
We went with the Graco infant seat. It's a good system. The problem was that the little boy was born 6 lbs., 15 oz. and was over 20 lbs. at 4 months. I had friends who were still using the infant seat out to 1 year of age, so at least they felt like they were getting some good bang for their buck. We had to turn around and buy a whole new carseat system about 120 days after bringing the kid home. Oh well.
Sounds like my kids....both way above the 100 percentile on the growth chart...

Old 07-07-2009, 03:33 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Same here. We got about 5 months use out of ours for each kid. I would still have purchased it for the convenience.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:41 PM

416 posts, read 407,829 times
Get anything thats baby safe.

I'm sure asking which seat is the best will also inpinge on weather or not you can drive the child safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting